Moving to Rome

FallAir

Hello all.  I am being stationed in Rome this coming may.  I am originally from Western PA and have spent some time in NY, but never hunted there.  I've been hunting for going on 22 years now.  I'm a big archery hunter and got into flintlock hunting the last few years.  My family practically eats venison only all year round, so it's a way of life for us.  Anyways, I'm really excited to get there and look forward to trying to get into the woods.

1 hour ago, FallAir said:

Hello all.  I am being stationed in Rome this coming may.  I am originally from Western PA and have spent some time in NY, but never hunted there.  I've been hunting for going on 22 years now.  I'm a big archery hunter and got into flintlock hunting the last few years.  My family practically eats venison only all year round, so it's a way of life for us.  Anyways, I'm really excited to get there and look forward to trying to get into the woods.

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service. NY gun laws suck as for the hunting.....some bases let you hunt. When I was stationed in Little Creek Va, I hunted in fort AP Hill. Good luck either way!!

Thanks everyone. Couldn't be happier about the assignment. I have no idea where I'm going to hunt yet, but I'll figure something out I guess. I'm not afraid to venture off the beaten path or knock on doors.  Really the most excited to enjoy the area with my family.

• Like 1

Lewis county has a lot of northern tier areas avail ( just north of Rome) . Deer hunting is ok there and they have a decent bear population too.  But you are right along the edge of northern and southern tier. I live about 20 minutes from Rome. Also if you like to fish, lake Delta is loaded with some serious smallmouth and Oneida lake is of course a great walleye spot and also bass and perch.  

Hunting around is like anywhere else just up to finding the right areas. Just an FYI Trenton fish and game club is only about 15 minutes from griffiss and it's a nice club and they have like 400 acres of hunting. 

I have a buddy that is in the air national guard and he's a member there . Best of luck in cny. Prob won't see deer numbers near Rome anything like PA but still should be able to find some good areas. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wanted to post a quick update to this thread.  Thanks to all who have posted responses.  I finished up training and I'm here in CNY and settled.  I bought a house in Blossvale near Sylvan Beach area.  So far I am really loving the area.  I am going to start my search for a place to hunt, so that I can get some solid scouting/prep in before archery season starts.  

Edited by FallAir
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FallAir said:

Just wanted to post a quick update to this thread.  Thanks to all who have posted responses.  I finished up training and I'm here in CNY and settled.  I bought a house in Blossvale near Sylvan Beach area.  So far I am really loving the area.  I am going to start my search for a place to hunt, so that I can get some solid scouting/prep in before archery season starts.  

Welcome to the area..  I posted some info for you on the region 6 thread.  My best buddy is at griffiss in air national guard.  Small world. 

And def like the area, Sylvan is a nice spot to hang in the summer....but.like an abandoned mining town in the winter though.  Lol.  

Good luck