Fletch

Antlers GONE

So I shot what I thought was a good doe this morning.

ad5f93a4852b6f209bbcff4095bcde0a.jpg

When I got up to her I found out it was a he. Both antlers are gone at the pedicle. Black and ooze. Any ideas as I’ve never seen this.

b64aaf0bee68b87a9f673e8e83f99d21.jpg

5b87cf7a1b0718c5b20c0c6a4aaec8f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

had a 2.5 yr old buck taken on the co-op last year that had shed it's antlers.  hunter thought it was a big doe.  that was the 2nd weekend in December though.  stress or injury can make them shed early. don't know if you process your own, but was it injured at all?

• Like 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://arforny.com

Maybe an underlying health issue caused the buck to lose them early? Or maybe caught up in some fencing or something?

• Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Did you get the hide off? I wonder if you’ll find an injury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

You kicked them off to tag it as doe.....you bastid !   Just kidding off course 

I'm going with ran into car and stress  caused the drop  

I shot a BB years ago thinking doe. Walked up to "her"  flipped "her" over to field dress and yelled "ballz, literally"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The big bucks figured out a way to survive lol ....didn't work the way he planned I guess

Edited by silent death
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is that how they look a while after dropping? I’ve seen broken ones and fresh shed which are bright red/ pink.

And otherwise it looks healthy and acted healthy till it got lead poisoning of course. I have not skinned it but no injuries stood out and belly was full. It does have a bunch of ticks but that is usual. It will go to the processor in a couple days. See what he says.

Edited by Fletch

15 minutes ago, wooly said:

Sure looks like an infection or injury induced "shed" to me.

Get out there and find them babies! WOOOHOOO!!!

Oh hell no Wooly I've looked for years and never found a shed! You're a dang legend to me!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’d have to think underlying health issue. Infection within the head somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Oh hell no Wooly I've looked for years and never found a shed! You're a dang legend to me!!

This would make a great story and cool set of antlers to call your first!

Hang onto that skull. You never know what will turn up down the road.

View my nature photos @

http://www.pbase.com/wooly

Hunted yesterday in AR unit and had a spike buck walk by me. He only had one horn (5-6 inches), so some are starting to drop I guess. 

Shot many "does" over the yrs during the late MZ.  None have ever looked like that. They are fairly clean with no black goop. 

I'm saying injury caused the early loss. 

That’s my thought. Never seen them black and oozy. I went over the deer again and looks fine. It’s still hanging so we will see what’s up when the butcher gets it

• Like 1

Any word on an injury? My buddy shot a deer a few years ago that he thought was a large doe. Turned out it was a buck that had already shed. Had a big slice through its brisket. Looked just like the one you posted. 

Edited by Renegade Hunter

"We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world. The first step – in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come – is to teach men to shoot!"

Semper Fi

How do we feel about eating steaks from a deer with a black oozing head? Not sure I could trust it (or any processor sayin have at it)

• Like 1

Is it possible this happened durring the growth period?Got tangled in a fence?Just some ideas that I can think of

I’d call a whitetail farm and ask them what they think. Seems early for a shed to start. Sounds more to me that something is wrong with that deer.

There are as many answers to that one as there are reasons men hunt, fight, skydive, gamble or take up with redheaded ladies.

NRA Legacy Life Member

IHEA Instructor

NBEF Instructor

DU Instructor

Deer had no injuries or anything that would indicate anything was wrong with it during butchering. I’m eating it so if I disappear from here. It’s been fun!!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Deer had no injuries or anything that would indicate anything was wrong with it during butchering. I’m eating it so if I disappear from here. It’s been fun!!

Thanks for the update.  Enjoy the good eats...

On 11/22/2017 at 2:46 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Maybe an underlying health issue caused the buck to lose them early? Or maybe caught up in some fencing or something?

Thinking definitely something health wise caused this... Far to early for any buck to drop his horns without being caused by his health... 

I took a a buck that shed its antlers early mistaking it for a doe on last weekend of Gun years back. But he had taken a slug across the top of his back across length wise from one side to the other. From opening weekend, (I know the guy) Poor deer. Damn near laid wide open. Probably did him a favor, could tell he was acting weird.