Antlers GONE

Fletch

had a 2.5 yr old buck taken on the co-op last year that had shed it's antlers.  hunter thought it was a big doe.  that was the 2nd weekend in December though.  stress or injury can make them shed early. don't know if you process your own, but was it injured at all?

• Like 3

Is that how they look a while after dropping? I’ve seen broken ones and fresh shed which are bright red/ pink.

And otherwise it looks healthy and acted healthy till it got lead poisoning of course. I have not skinned it but no injuries stood out and belly was full. It does have a bunch of ticks but that is usual. It will go to the processor in a couple days. See what he says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fletch

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Oh hell no Wooly I've looked for years and never found a shed! You're a dang legend to me!!

This would make a great story and cool set of antlers to call your first!

Hang onto that skull. You never know what will turn up down the road.

53 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Deer had no injuries or anything that would indicate anything was wrong with it during butchering. I’m eating it so if I disappear from here. It’s been fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update.  Enjoy the good eats...

On 11/22/2017 at 2:46 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Maybe an underlying health issue caused the buck to lose them early? Or maybe caught up in some fencing or something?

Thinking definitely something health wise caused this... Far to early for any buck to drop his horns without being caused by his health... 

I took a a buck that shed its antlers early mistaking it for a doe on last weekend of Gun years back. But he had taken a slug across the top of his back across length wise from one side to the other. From opening weekend, (I know the guy) Poor deer. Damn near laid wide open. Probably did him a favor, could tell he was acting weird.