Had someone say...

Overtkill

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

At least twice a round we will approach a 3D target and my buddy will say "keep in mind, its canting" and we all laugh our asses off

WE used to play H-O-R-S-E with traditional bows. My good friend shot left handed so he would get under the front of his slide -in camper, cant the bow almost horizontally to the left, and make an easy 10 yd shot. For us right handed shooters it was very very difficult to make that 10 yd shot. It could be done right handed by pinching the nock of the arrow (if you shot split finger style) and twisting the arrow up against the shelf, but if it was a small target like a beverage can, it was still quite difficult.

Unfortunately, the way things were situated on his "range", there were no such opportunities for a right handed shot with similar disadvantages for a left handed shooter..

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not trying to start a fight here but, I looked on the DEC app and I don’t see anywhere that says you can hunt bow and gun at the same time. Bow only areas like Westchester, don’t close. But all the areas that have a regular season gun for big game show bow season closing during that time. I would interpret that as, you cannot Hunt with a bow during that time frame. Can someone point me to where it says that you can hunt with a bow during gun season. I even thought I remember being told that they close bow season for safety reasons. Bow hunters typically hunt in full camo and therefore would be very vulnerable to be shot by another hunter with a gun. Again, not saying everyone’s wrong just looking for clarification.

pt0217  If you check with the DEC they will inform you that you can use a bow during the entire deer hunting season as long as you have the proper tags.  

Eagle Rider I do not see anything on the DEC  web site that says it is open past January.  As far as I can see the DEC web site states it is open till the end of January.  

Bowhunting

Bowhunting opportunities include both the regular and bowhunting seasons.

• Hunters must possess a current bowhunting or junior bowhunting privilege to participate during the bowhunting seasons.
  • The bowhunting privilege is not required to hunt with a bow during regular seasons, but hunters must possess proof of eligibility (either a valid bowhunter education certificate or prior bowhunting license).
  • Bow/Muzz either-sex or antlerless-only tags may not be used during the regular seasons except by junior bowhunters or in WMUs 1C and 3S.
  • In WMUs 4J and 8C, only bows may be used to take deer during the regular and bowhunting seasons.
  • Suffolk (WMU 1C) and Westchester counties (WMU 3S) have separate regular seasons restricted to bows for taking deer (either sex).
  • See Legal Implement Descriptions for definitions of a legal bow.

Seasons

Big Game

Big game hunting is still available on Long Island. There is an abundant population of white-tailed deer in much of eastern Suffolk County. Public hunting is a needed management tool as serious depredation problems occur annually in agricultural fields, nurseries, and to many gardens and ornamental plants. Some areas also have problems with car-deer collisions.

Present hunting opportunities exist in the form of an archery season from October 1 to January 31, and a shotgun and muzzleloader season in January. The shotgun season is closely regulated with written landowner permission required of each hunter in addition to his or her big game license. Annually, more than 3,000 deer are taken during these two seasons.

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, pt0217 said:

Not trying to start a fight here but, I looked on the DEC app and I don’t see anywhere that says you can hunt bow and gun at the same time. Bow only areas like Westchester, don’t close. But all the areas that have a regular season gun for big game show bow season closing during that time. I would interpret that as, you cannot Hunt with a bow during that time frame. Can someone point me to where it says that you can hunt with a bow during gun season. I even thought I remember being told that they close bow season for safety reasons. Bow hunters typically hunt in full camo and therefore would be very vulnerable to be shot by another hunter with a gun. Again, not saying everyone’s wrong just looking for clarification.

Capture8.JPG