How to keep your feet warm

KMurph332

I wear Muck boots with one pair of medium to thick socks , if it's really cold I'll add a thin liner sock . You want room in your boot, your toes  should be easy to wiggle and sock should not be tight .

Also I don't shower right before a hunt, it's yo hard to get your feet really dry , you may think they are but odds are there's moisture on them and between toes . If I must for some reason I dry them with a hairdryer .

Finally this season after years of getting cold toes I have somehow come up with the perfect solution for myself....I have come to the conclusion what works for one person most likely work for everyone.
This season I have been wearing a pair of Cabela's wool socks, toe heater stuck to the top of my toes, and 1200 gram Rocky Bear claw boots a 1/2 size bigger than my everyday shoes. This allows for some wiggle room of the toes, and even in cold temps keeps the toes above freezing. I plan on getting a new pair of boots at the end of the season and will most likey buy a full size bigger(an 11) to allow even more room in the toy box.
This is also the first season in years I have been able to sit in a stand for more then 3 hours, and it has added enjoyment to my hunting season.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Finally this season after years of getting cold toes I have somehow come up with the perfect solution for myself....I have come to the conclusion what works for one person most likely work for everyone.
This season I have been wearing a pair of Cabela's wool socks, toe heater stuck to the top of my toes, and 1200 gram Rocky Bear claw boots a 1/2 size bigger than my everyday shoes. This allows for some wiggle room of the toes, and even in cold temps keeps the toes above freezing. I plan on getting a new pair of boots at the end of the season and will most likey buy a full size bigger(an 11) to allow even more room in the toy box.
This is also the first season in years I have been able to sit in a stand for more then 3 hours, and it has added enjoyment to my hunting season.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I use the toe heaters , but I stick them to the bottom of my toes. After a few hours my feet feel clammy. I'll have to try sticking them to the top of my toes.

7 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Look up Baffin boots, if your feet are cold in them then I don't believe there is anything that will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2.  I wear Baffins for ice fishing, and my feet never get cold.  I want to get a 2nd set of liners for mine.  If you packed in a pair of Baffin boots and dry socks, I think you would be set.  

4 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I wear Baffin Trappers that I bought for $80.  Another set of liners is almost as much as the boots, but they would last you for years.  They are waterproof, but make my feet sweat.  That's why I wouldn't recommend in to your stand in them.

Yeah i went with the top of their line of boot. Cold feet doing anything is no longer a concern. Sweet Boot's!

• Like 1

I wear Baffin Trappers that I bought for $80.  Another set of liners is almost as much as the boots, but they would last you for years.  They are waterproof, but make my feet sweat.  That's why I wouldn't recommend in to your stand in them.

I wear light weight quality Marino wool socks in them and my feet don't sweat at all.

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I wear light weight quality Marino wool socks in them and my feet don't sweat at all.

You're lucky.  I wear good socks from Darn Tuff and mine still sweat sometimes.  That's the only time that my feet aren't totally comfortable.  Well, also when my wool socks bunch up inside of them.  I hate that!

Just now, rob-c said:

I put deodorant on my feet to keep them from sweating..

yup, the athletes foot spray deodorant / antiperspirant, make sure its the antiperspirant, even a moderate walk will cause most peoples feet to get a little damp and that is the kiss of death for your feet.

Those black army mickey mouse boots look kind of goofy but, along with a pair of heavy wool socks, they keep my feet warm on stand in the coldest conditions.  They are also waterproof up to about a foot.  You can find them surplus for $ 40 , or $ 80 new.   That is cheaper and they work better than any other boot I have tried.   I don't know how they would work for the sweaty footed folks however. Fortunately , I have not suffered from that.    

One other thing to consider if your feet are getting cold is a better head insulation.  A face mask and warm ear flaps help out a lot.  Most of the body's heat loss is usually off the head, and blood flow to the extremities (feet/hands) is typically reduced to conserve heat.   Less blood flow to the feet, means they get cold.   Keeping your hands in a muff, with a chemical hand-warmer can get some heat back in, as can drinking some hot cider (or coffee) out of a thermos.  Getting out of the wind also helps.  Better boots treat the symptoms but conserving or adding heat deals with the cause.  

I bought a pair of $20 Smartwool socks this year to try because I have the same problem as the OP. So far 3 cold hunts in and i'm loving them. They are designed to wick moisture away from your foot and boy do they work. Before me feet after a long day looked like i was soaking them in a tub. Now with the Smartwool socks my feet are bone dry. I cant explain it but it works. I put Smartwool socks on first then a thicker pair of merino wool socks and for the cold mornings like this morning I added toe warmers on the top of my toes. I never felt cold at all. Oh and I have 1000 gram insulate boots as well.