How to keep your feet warm

KMurph332

I've been fighting with cold feet for years , I bought some 2000g Irish setters and thick socks ,those are the best things so far i have found , unfortunately they are so loud when walking in cold temps due to smashing all the frozen ground below . I wear my muck boots as long as temps will let me just because of the noise. The weird thing is i can hold a gun or bow all day with bare hands and not get cold but man do my feet freeze fast. 

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Still waiting..........

:)

Based upon my reasearch Baffins best is the Apex. They are rated to neg. 148 F and are waterproof. But if you decide on a model do not order from Baffin directly. Baffin and Cabelas both had the Apex for $289.00. I found the same exact boot for $156.00 on ebay and just ordered them. Came to $170.00 with tax, free shipping.That model had great reviews. Ill take a $120.00 saving any day of the week. 

2 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Go to Baffin.com and pick your poison. I have the Expedition's rated for cold i will never see so should never see a problem. So Far...So Good!

• Like 2

I just wear a pair of Muck Fieldblazers and prefer these to heavy insulated boots.  To keep warm, I wear a thick Smartwool hiking sock with a stick-on toe warmer then layer a second wool sock over that one with a Hot Hands warmer on top of my toes.  Plenty of room in my boots to wiggle toes and keep from freezing.  

3 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Based upon my reasearch Baffins best is the Apex. They are rated to neg. 148 F and are waterproof. But if you decide on a model do not order from Baffin directly. Baffin and Cabelas both had the Apex for $289.00. I found the same exact boot for $156.00 on ebay and just ordered them. Came to $170.00 with tax, free shipping.That model had great reviews. Ill take a $120.00 saving any day of the week. 

I did the Impact's and they also had a much better deal on Amazon 

7 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

I did the Impact's and they also had a much better deal on Amazon 

Funny thing i found the apex for 170 on Amazon and i had thought that was a steal. A few minutes later i checked  ebay and found them for 156. Just canceled the Amazon order. Sometimes it pays to research just a little more. 

• Like 1

Quality insulated boots with a nylon or polyester sock worn on your feet first covered with a quality wool sock is my recommendation.

BUT remember that warm blood keeps your feet warm.  That warm blood flows down your legs to your feet.  So while quality boots and socks are important, what good are they if the blood going to your feet is cooled down too rapidly as it flows down your legs?  Are those legs properly covered with insulated underwear, non-cotton pants and possible insulated or wind pants to keep that blood flowing down your legs warm?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Ok, back off guys. I’m at dinner and won’t order till morning. 

One of you sob’s buy the last pair of 12’s.........I kill ya. 

:)

Movie references.......

They say to order a size up if you go with the Impacts.  I did and they are still snug with a warm sock. A normal sock the fit is great and so far i have only worn a normal sock with not even a chill. Cant wait till late season to really test them out.

i have two pair of these. a buddy of mine had these things and he called them boot blankets. So I copied them and made these. They are super easy to put on, even up a tree in a climber they can be put on with relative ease. I used a cordura nylon for the inside and the outside and the fill is a polyester  fluff kind of stuff. one big old military zipper`. My feet could be warm all day  and thats with out a big insulated hunting boot. so they may not be pretty and they may not be camouflage but they cost me about  nothing to make.

boot blanket.jpg

boot blanket 2.jpg

• Like 1

I bought a pair of cabelas comfort Trac 2000 boots.   Best boots I have ever owned.  Have had them for about 6 years.  To this day have never warn anything other than gold toe tube socks when i hunt.  Have never had any issues with cold feet.  And most of my gun hunting is not done local so when i go i spend all day in the woods.  

My feet get cold quick even with Foot warmers or Toe warmers . 

Last season I made the mistake of putting on a pair of socks , then the toe warmers and then another pair of socks . Big mistake ! Burned the pads of my feet . Checked the directions and it said not to do that . I checked a bit too late . I had tried battery operated socks in the past --- no good . Maybe I need to get the big booties ! 

I made the decision a few years ago that instead of a spending money that season on a new gun or something else shiny, I would take steps to make long sits more comfortable. Started with the best insulated,waterproof, and comfortable boots i could afford. I also started carrying a backpacking stove to make hot soup or coffee on really cold days ( I hunt from the ground). I also wear wool socks and try to carry an extra pair in case my feet get wet or sweaty. All this coupled with appropriate clothing has made a world of difference for me. Sometimes i get a little too cozy and start to doze off hahaha.

The Baffin Apex boots just arrived. Im a size 10 1/2 and i got a size 12 boot and they are snug and  will fit perfect with one heavy sock. The boot seems very well made, insulation foam is super thick and they are very comfy. Not a boot you would walk around in all day, but definitely seems great for using on stand. Will test them out next weekend.

20171128_194822.jpg

20171128_194804.jpg

3 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

The Apex is a much better quality boot with leather uppers and lace up. I also liked the look of the Apex over their other models.

The apex look nicer but not so suited for swamps which I need.    Guess I will try the titans.  $93 is cheap especially if they are waterproof and very warm.