How to keep your feet warm

KMurph332

I’d be careful.....

The company is trying to confuse old people (you know who you are) with their name.  There is a very high quality merino wool under garment company called “Minus 33” and this knock off is called “35 Below”.

I have a bunch of the “Minus 33” stuff and it wears well. 

I’d be careful.....

The company is trying to confuse old people (you know who you are) with their name.  There is a very high quality merino wool under garment company called “Minus 33” and this knock off is called “35 Below”.

I have a bunch of the “Minus 33” stuff and it wears well. 

I've got Minus 33 socks and they are excellent

I haven't had a cold foot in any temp since the introduction of Gortex and Thinsulate... but then again I am never stationary for more than a few minutes. I wear both leather and rubber boots depending on how much water I'll be crossing that day, and have gotten wet feet a few times and still my feet stayed warm. I'm just glad we finally moved past the old days of cheap K-Mart pack boots and bread bags!!

I never had a cold foot issue until the accident/now with all the plates screws hardware in my lower leg it feels like my foot is sitting on an ice block.Boot sweat is the worst unless really wet out I wear light weight shoes then when on stand I wear/put on heavier socks and sometimes wear just some slippers.One thing I have learned is no matter what you wear your toes need to be able to move

On 11/23/2017 at 7:01 PM, Four Season Whitetails said:

I did the Impact's and they also had a much better deal on Amazon 

Just ordered a pair of the Impacts from Cabela's.  I was kind of bummed the Baffins are all out of stock at the local store here in DE, but deer season is over anyway.  Sale prices currently $153.99 for the Impacts; Apex are $178.49.  Free shipping with 2017FREE.

3 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

My wife bought a pair of Alpaca socks for me . They do NOT keep my feet warm . I will be using the Thermacell remote controlled heated insoles that I got for Christmas . 

I wasn't thrilled with alpaca socks either.  Darn Tough have been easily my favorite choice for a couple years........In a pinch, I can wear one pair for three days of hunting and the stay have their "body" at the end. 

I have always been a big fan of smartwool socks with a pair of thinsulate boots and have always stayed warm especially when walking. As you all know smartwools are petty pricey but are worth it.

I've gotta tell ya I got a pair of these for x-mas and have been trying them today inside and outside. My feet have not even been close to being cold. I am going to try them more outside this weekend but so far I am pretty impressed.

At about $16.00 a pair they seem pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Holders-Original-winter-Thermal/dp/B00J8JVCDS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

I have always been a big fan of smartwool socks with a pair of thinsulate boots and have always stayed warm especially when walking. As you all know smartwools are petty pricey but are worth it.

I've gotta tell ya I got a pair of these for x-mas and have been trying them today inside and outside. My feet have not even been close to being cold. I am going to try them more outside this weekend but so far I am pretty impressed.

Inside and out?

Walking?

That is no test for keeping your feet warm, especially on hunting forum in NYS!

Stand hunting for 2 hours to all day, that's where you get some feedback.  Until then, those should be adequate for church........

39 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Inside and out?

Walking?

That is no test for keeping your feet warm, especially on hunting forum in NYS!

Stand hunting for 2 hours to all day, that's where you get some feedback.  Until then, those should be adequate for church........

So far I have tried them inside & outside with just a pair of light hiking boots outside. I was in & out of stores all afternoon, and out in the garage for awhile on concrete, then shoveled the side walk and my feet didn't feel cold at all. Usually going from warm to cold multiple times you will begin to feel it but not today. Haven't had them long enough for a sit and won't be sitting in the current conditions any time soon. The will get tested for sure but not in church. For right now they seem to be keepers.

goosier thanks for the link..

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2017 at 2:37 PM, Jdubs said:

Just ordered a pair of the Impacts from Cabela's.  I was kind of bummed the Baffins are all out of stock at the local store here in DE, but deer season is over anyway.  Sale prices currently $153.99 for the Impacts; Apex are $178.49.  Free shipping with 2017FREE.

Finally made it to my parent's house to pick up my Baffin's.  Too late to test in frigid winter conditions, but these boots are no joke!  Thanks for the recommendation. :good:

20180407_132022.jpg

20180407_131935.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have rocky boots, wool socks and i wrap my feet in gallon sized zip lock bags. Dont ask, it just freakin works. My feet are not wet, never cold. An old crusty hunter taught me this trick, and you know what? It just works. 

Socks on, put on bag. Insert foot in boot. Too easy. Feet warm.

Edited by CapDistPatriot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CapDistPatriot said:

Wouldnt want to gut a deer wearing those

Only reason I got the snow camo Impacts was because Cabela's had a ridiculous closeout price on them.  If/when I harvest a deer, then I'll walk back to the house to grab the cart and switch into lighter weight boots/gear.

14 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Only reason I got the snow camo Impacts was because Cabela's had a ridiculous closeout price on them.  If/when I harvest a deer, then I'll walk back to the house to grab the cart and switch into lighter weight boots/gear.

Gotcha. I dont have that luxury unfortunately.  Nice boots. If they dont keep your feet warm i dont know what to tell you LOL!

My mickey mouse boots work great in the cold as long as you do not stand in water that is higher than them (about 12") for too long.   If they are laced tight, I can go deep for short periods.  I made out all right on Saturday, with my brother helping me drag a 200 plus pound (guts-in) buck out of a swamp.  His feet got soaked in his fancy work boots.  fortunately for him,it was a little above freezing at the time.   

On a day at the end of last season when the temperature was well below freezing, I made it thru a deep ditch three times. I had to cross to retrieve a doe that I shot on the other side.  If the rope I tied to that doe would not have broke, I would have been fine.  When that happened, I had to make another crossing and one boot soaked thru on the return trip.   By the time I made it back to the house, about 600 yards away, my foot was completely numb.   It took a while to get the feeling back in it before I could get the tractor and drive back for that deer.  If that happens again tomorrow I left a big old plank leaning against a tree back there to use to cross.

Those mickey mouse boots can be purchased surplus for about $ 40 or new for about $ 90.  Why anyone would spend more than that on cold weather hunting boots is beyond my understanding.