Killed while walking her dogs at 5:30, that's dark

Curmudgeon

New York Involuntary Manslaughter Laws. Manslaughter is a form of homicide -- conduct which causes the death of a person -- committed when a defendant recklesslycauses death (second-degree) or causes death with an intent to cause serious physical injury (first-degree).

Very sad indeed.  Prayers for the family. 

I'm about to take the family on a walk around Canadice Lake and this story makes me question my decision. We wear bright colors, but still...and this is what gives hunters the reputation of being a bunch of outlaws. When you have a gun in your hands, one bad decision can mean somebody's dead. We need to own this as a community and call out poor judgment. 

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 1

No excuse to be hunting this time of year at 5:30, period.  That rule is in place to help ensure the safety of all of us.  I just read about this story from a different news source and claims that he saw what he thought was a deer 200 yards away and shot from a high powered pistol.  Very possible there may be some different reporting from different news agencies, but come on! 

This information has to be passed on to current and future hunters, anything less will be a further insult to her family.

4 hours ago, SilverPharmer said:

No excuse to be hunting this time of year at 5:30, period.  That rule is in place to help ensure the safety of all of us.  I just read about this story from a different news source and claims that he saw what he thought was a deer 200 yards away and shot from a high powered pistol.  Very possible there may be some different reporting from different news agencies, but come on! 

This information has to be passed on to current and future hunters, anything less will be a further insult to her family.

Yes I saw, it on washingtonpost.com the lady was walking  her dogs now I can see mistaking a dog which has four  legs for coyote and maybe a deer if it's running through the woods but in a open field but he manages to shoot the lady not the dog ?  What a retard 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, knehrke said:

I'm about to take the family on a walk around Canadice Lake and this story makes me question my decision.

You should!!! Who in their right mind would take a walk around Canadice Lake in the middle of deer season. There are a lot better times of the year to take that walk..especially with your family.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ny hunter said:

I agree long prison term is in order here...5:30 pm is dark out he had no business shooting that late.

FIRST condolences to the family..

Now let me address this...Sherman on that date was a close of 4:55 legal NYS close...Now cue all the guys on here that think 30 mins before and 30 mins after legal sunset should be Ok for shooting ......Then consider these responses:rolleyes:

Then consider that with rifles and scopes just a slight dip in terrain could hide a person behind a deer..and low light..when a shooter s concentrating on cross hairs on a deer..how many  seconds do you settle that sight in before shooting...allowing for someone to slip in behind the deer unknowing...yep thinking many don't think.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Yes I saw, it on washingtonpost.com the lady was walking  her dogs now I can see mistaking a dog which has four  legs for coyote and maybe a deer if it's running through the woods but in a open field but he manages to shoot the lady not the dog ?  What a retard 

I think he may have been trying to cover up his stupidity.  200 yards with a pistol??  I don't think so.  If that news report was correct I think the authorities will pull apart his story really fast.

seems suspicious to me. Its dark at did I say dark at 5:30. This pistol was a thompson, not really a pistol. More like a rifle. But again its dark at 5 :30 kinda dark to see through a scope at that time.Im thinking that guy was much closer. I think this guy had it out for her.

shooting a brown truck because you thought it was a deer. Dont piss on me and tell me its raining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vizslas said:

seems suspicious to me. Its dark at did I say dark at 5:30. This pistol was a thompson, not really a pistol. More like a rifle. But again its dark at 5 :30 kinda dark to see through a scope at that time.Im thinking that guy was much closer. I think this guy had it out for her.

shooting a brown truck because you thought it was a deer. Dont piss on me and tell me its raining.

I was telling my wife this story last night and she too was wondering if he knew her etc.  too many things here do not make sense. 

• Like 1

As more information comes out, I find myself wondering if this idiot was challenging himself. "Could I hit at deer at 200 yards with this?". Maybe he never looks in that field except during deer season. Maybe the woman walks her dogs there daily, but during deer season waits until after dark - like my wife. 

Having had some neighbours lobbing bullets into my property last week, I am repeatedly amazed at how many people lose all sense when they "need" to kill a deer.