Killed while walking her dogs at 5:30, that's dark

Curmudgeon

7 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Not to hijack but , last time this   came up and I searched 30 some states for their deer hunting hours I could not find one that wasn't 1/2 hour prior / after . 

All the states that boarder NY, the mid West states so many wish we were , out West all 1/2 hour each way .

If it was an issue then tell me why every other state allows it ? 

Ill wait , tick tick tick ......

How many of those states have mandatory florescent orange requirements?

Need to read all stories ..several times it mentioned it was called in at 5:24, as I read and watched. Now he heard her scream and went to her... did he call before or after finding her? ..how long did it take to get to her over that 200 yrds......That shot could have taken place in what many here have said is " good shooting light"...

Let's discuss the fact he was shooting across land  That was posted... Oh that's right 200 yrds so 600 ft.. So he was in the legal distance from those house.. So hey why not shoot towards them ...right?...

How many times has the DEC told people " Well they are 500 ft away so in their legal right to shoot" '.... I have...neighbor has.. OK until something like this.  ...then hang them right ?

Another 4 months and we'll be hearing how bad the set backs are and how bad start and stop times are .Guys that don't post but read will have their needed confirmation  of how THEIR better judgement is backed up with others thinking the same. Makes one wonder..is this guy a forums reader?....

17 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

She was on her own property walking not hunting

Though I won't even go get the mail with out an orange hat on...my dogs all wear orange collars and now all my stands have 2 1/2 x2ft strips of Hunter orange tacked to the trees above my head..

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I did. 

XP100 in .260 Remington.  Lots of capable guys with Contenders and Savage guns could too. 

Huhhhh, a T/C Encore/ Contender was used according to the press.  

Easily accurate much further that 200 yards in the right hands with the right rest.

None if which means a damn thing in this case.......... 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Not to hijack but , last time this   came up and I searched 30 some states for their deer hunting hours I could not find one that wasn't 1/2 hour prior / after . 

All the states that boarder NY, the mid West states so many wish we were , out West all 1/2 hour each way .

If it was an issue then tell me why every other state allows it ? 

Ill wait , tick tick tick ......

23 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

8 minutes ago, growalot said:

Though I won't even go get the mail with out an orange hat on...my dogs all wear orange collars and now all my stands have 2 1/2 x2ft strips of Hunter orange tacked to the trees above my head..

The response was to the post regarding almost all states having 1/2 hour before/after sunrise/sunset for big game hunting hours.

I seldom see anyone here in the North country wear any orange whatsoever while deer hunting. To me that's just plain stupid.

Aside from being mistaken for a deer by some idiot, there's also the line of fire factor to consider.

• Like 1

True on orange ...BUT...reason all stands now have orange...I got down from my stand ..one,with a clear view of one of the Butts that shot across the farmers land well over two yards from their stand to shoot that 12 pt.just off my line. He was in brand new neon Orange...I got to the bottom of ladder and had no view of him.. down hill from me, even though he was in a ladder stand

Golden rod and a honey suckle Bush blocked the view..If I could not see him..I'm sure he couldn't see me.. and a deer could have ran across the field out of the pines in front of me at anytime. It should be illegal to shoot towards houses period...it should be illegal to shoot towards  blocks of Orange or now pink. It should be illegal to shoot past posted signs.. Oh and no it is not right now..it's just illegal to walk across without permission.

Edited by growalot

The guy was wrong for sure and will more than likely face charges but as usual the "news" is not reporting or have all the facts. Regardless if the gun is capable of that yardage who the hell can see two hundred yards at night. All facts are not out yet and if it like the rest of the reporting they do they never will be.

Still a tragedy either way.

On 11/24/2017 at 8:41 PM, Steve D said:

You should!!! Who in their right mind would take a walk around Canadice Lake in the middle of deer season. There are a lot better times of the year to take that walk..especially with your family.

My wife's reaction to this is that if it isn't safe for us to take a walk with the appropriate safety gear on, then it isn't safe for me to be in the woods. She's not wrong. I could also try to forbid my wife and daughter from crossing the street or driving, both of which have inherent danger. We walk extensively, taking hikes at least two or three times a week. I agree that there's lots of idiots, but I'm not ceding the woods to them for the entirely of deer season. Middle of the day, good light, public walking trail? That's ridiculous. You can't plan to idiots like this criminal who shot the lady walking her dog...which, by the way, we passed at least four other people doing.

So, as hunters it's our responsibility to always make sure of our target. Period.

Edited by knehrke
  • Like 3

Observation they are not listening to ^^.... He was more than likely shooting during that time that many here think is just fine light to shoot in.. also that arch and white line isn't where he was actually standing...what they said was he could have been anywhere on the red arch.  which has him LEGALLY shooting in the direction of buildings.. That is LEGAL according to NYS...unless he shoots over a road or is closer than 500ft.

Want to know when it's not legal, assuming well with in legal shooting light?  When some one or some thing gets a bullet in them.... then all of a sudden it's no longer legal it's, reckless endangerment..ect..ect...

Edited by growalot

16 hours ago, growalot said:

Let's discuss the fact he was shooting across land  That was posted... Oh that's right 200 yrds so 600 ft.. So he was in the legal distance from those house.. So hey why not shoot towards them ...right?...

How many times has the DEC told people " Well they are 500 ft away so in their legal right to shoot" '.... I have...neighbor has.. OK until something like this.  ...then hang them right ?

Doesn't the law read that the bullet must not pass within 500' of an house/building?

Edited by wildcat junkie

I invite you to read the regulation book, as I Have it states you are  not allowed to " discharge " with in a specified distance from a specified type of structures.  Not that  your bullet can not pass with in... with the one exception.. your bullet may not pass over a road.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, growalot said:

Just wondering what she was wearing and if she new her neighbor was deer hunting near her area not that it excuses what this idiot did.

10 hours ago, knehrke said:

My wife's reaction to this is that if it isn't safe for us to take a walk with the appropriate safety gear on, then it isn't safe for me to be in the woods. She's not wrong. I could also try to forbid my wife and daughter from crossing the street or driving, both of which have inherent danger. We walk extensively, taking hikes at least two or three times a week. I agree that there's lots of idiots, but I'm not ceding the woods to them for the entirely of deer season. Middle of the day, good light, public walking trail? That's ridiculous. You can't plan to idiots like this criminal who shot the lady walking her dog...which, by the way, we passed at least four other people doing.

So, as hunters it's our responsibility to always make sure of our target. Period.

Something  like riding a bike wearing a bicycle helmet, fluorescent spandex, knee pads, and elbow pads, down the expressway in rush hour traffic, thinking no one will hit you because you are dressed "safely". Sometimes a little bit of common sense goes a long ways.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, knehrke said:

My wife's reaction to this is that if it isn't safe for us to take a walk with the appropriate safety gear on, then it isn't safe for me to be in the woods. She's not wrong.

She is absolutely correct. Hunting during gun season is inherently dangerous. We all know it, which is why we take the precautions we do. We are playing risky odds every time we go afield. More often than not we have uneventful hunts. But once in a while something goes horribly wrong. Gun hunting is dangerous. I have access to an extra 20 acres on my neighbors side. He doesn't hunt anymore because bullets went whizzing past his head one year. He felt the risk was not worth the reward.

Edited by Papist

1: it does not matter what she was wearing. You as the hunter are responsible for identifying your target

2: sunset on 11-22 for that area was 4:50pm any shot after that time is hunting after hours. It does not matter what hours are in other states.

3: a person does not look like a deer. If in doubt don’t shoot.

4: this was not an accident. This is pure negligent on the hunters part

This guy screwed up plain and simple by not following the rules and someone died.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Steve D said:

Something  like riding a bike wearing a bicycle helmet, fluorescent spandex, knee pads, and elbow pads, down the expressway in rush hour traffic, thinking no one will hit you because you are dressed "safely". Sometimes a little bit of common sense goes a long ways.

Lol. My wife has more common sense than any other ten people you could round up. But she made an informed decision. In contrast to the analogy you provide, the odds of getting shot while taking a walk dressed appropriately on a public trail in the middle of the day--which is commonly used during deer season for walking dogs--is simply miniscule. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I also heard on the news last night that somebody shot at a truck, mistaking it for a deer! In his defense, the truck was brown (sarcasm).This isn't going to be a good year public perception-wise for hunters. It's going to make me think real carefully about what's behind where I'm firing.

On 11/24/2017 at 3:11 PM, SilverPharmer said:

No excuse to be hunting this time of year at 5:30, period. 

Easy there, you can be hunting coyote and fox at night, last time I checked you can be hunting coons too. This guy was reckless and should be dealt with accordingly, but don't shun everyone that enjoys hunting at night for other species. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2017 at 7:52 PM, growalot said:

Need to read all stories ..several times it mentioned it was called in at 5:24, as I read and watched. Now he heard her scream and went to her... did he call before or after finding her? ..how long did it take to get to her over that 200 yrds......That shot could have taken place in what many here have said is " good shooting light"...

Very true. I have a feeling a lot of kettles calling the pot black.

• Like 1