Killed while walking her dogs at 5:30, that's dark

Curmudgeon

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

It sure is lively around the Ponderosa!  I didn't see anyone whining about legal shooting hours.  I believe he asked why most other states do it differently.  I'm not sure why NY is more dangerous, but it sure seems to be.  If more daylight and blaze orange aren't the answers, then I don't have any suggestions.  Have you ever considered moving Grow?

Why it's more dangerous I don't know if that's true but if it is it's because of more people in less space more then anything else .  It's more likely you will die or get hurt driving to  your hunting land or climbing to your tree stand  then being shot by another hunter .

2 hours ago, Belo said:

Wouldn’t have applied to her though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mentioned the BO because we need one more thing to bicker over along with sunrise/sunset hours..............and Old bubba loved to argue the BO issue!  He was 110% against mandatory blaze orange.

23 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Which I'm scratching my head thinking to my self  what was   this guy thinking . I wouldn't be surprised if this moron was pissed off she was jogging where he hunts and took a shot in her Direction just to scare her not thinking  he would hit her . At that distance .

You would be surprised how stupid people can be with firearms just look at what you see on YouTube  for example .

You'd be surprised how many stupid people are on hunting forums........

• Like 1

Came out of the woods last night at 5 pm I had a couple deer come in as I was packing up and held up under me for a few minutes so I waited them out. By the time I got to the house unpacked and hung all my clothes up to dry it was 5:30 and dark. Even if he took the shot at 5 it is dark. I looked through my scope to see what the deer were beneath me at 20 yards and I could barely make them out. His life is pretty much over from a bad decision. I do see how he could have thought she was a deer at 5pm because all you can see are silhouettes and the 2 of them could have been mistaken at that time.

10 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

I mentioned the BO because we need one more thing to bicker over along with sunrise/sunset hours..............and Old bubba loved to argue the BO issue!  He was 110% against mandatory blaze orange.

I will fallback on my public land experience in another state (oh god no, someone does it differently!)

blaze orange required on PUBLIC land, BUT only when <12' off the ground. I bet 90% of us do this anyhow. Where our hats/vests through the woods and swap them in the stand. As far as private land, I stick with my libertarian beliefs that the gov't should F right out of my business.

If this isn't a totally logical law, please debate ;)

11 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Came out of the woods last night at 5 pm I had a couple deer come in as I was packing up and held up under me for a few minutes so I waited them out. By the time I got to the house unpacked and hung all my clothes up to dry it was 5:30 and dark. Even if he took the shot at 5 it is dark. I looked through my scope to see what the deer were beneath me at 20 yards and I could barely make them out. His life is pretty much over from a bad decision. I do see how he could have thought she was a deer at 5pm because all you can see are silhouettes and the 2 of them could have been mistaken at that time.

5:30 is an hour past sunset. in Rochester sunset today is 4:35. You hunted till "dark", which is what most of us do just fine. You want to get all technical, you should have gotten down and spooked those deer rather than be in the tree (even if not planning to shoot). Heck, unload your weapons on the way out and way in guys!

17 minutes ago, Belo said:

I will fallback on my public land experience in another state (oh god no, someone does it differently!)

blaze orange required on PUBLIC land, BUT only when <12' off the ground. I bet 90% of us do this anyhow. Where our hats/vests through the woods and swap them in the stand. As far as private land, I stick with my libertarian beliefs that the gov't should F right out of my business.

If this isn't a totally logical law, please debate ;)

I'm also betting there is a certain amount of sq.in. are also required. I wear a B.O. hat and that is it but I'm also on private property and no one else should be there.

28 minutes ago, Belo said:

5:30 is an hour past sunset. in Rochester sunset today is 4:35. You hunted till "dark", which is what most of us do just fine. You want to get all technical, you should have gotten down and spooked those deer rather than be in the tree (even if not planning to shoot). Heck, unload your weapons on the way out and way in guys!

No i was packing up at sunset, that is when I had 2 deer come in and I sat there waiting for them to move on until 5 which I then got back to the house and unpacked by 5:30. I'm hunting 100 yards from my house basically my backyard so it is a 5 minute walk back at most. My gun was unloaded already otherwise I would not have pointed it at the deer. I'm a firm believer you don't point a gun or any weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot.

You are probably right I didn't have my rifle unloaded at sunset but had no intention of hunting deer at that point and hunting coyotes if you want a cop out. haha I'll be honest and say I only clear the chamber and put the mag back in. This is only because I have lost 2 mags when going back to the house. I found 1 but the other one is MIA on my parents property. 

I know a lot of people that hunt till dark and do it successfully without hurting anyone but they also know better than to take 200 yard shots when you can't identify your target. Plain and simple a lot of things could have prevented this on both sides. But there is only one person at fault and that is the guy that pulled the trigger. I hope he doesn't have any sort of family they will be the ones to pay the price for his negligence.

Edited by chas0218

28 minutes ago, Belo said:

You want to get all technical, you should have gotten down and spooked those deer rather than be in the tree (even if not planning to shoot).

I know it's been discussed many times before but why? Why would being in the tree after legal shooting hours be any different than climbing in before legal shooting hours?

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Agreed, but as long as you are in a legal open season for something I don't believe they could do anything. 

Fair point, but for arguments sake (that's what we do best),

what if this guy would have claimed he was shooting at a coyote (heck she was walking a dog), and missed...

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

so for arguments sake (that's what we do best),

what if this guy would have claimed he was shooting at a coyote (heck she was walking a dog), and missed...

I would still think the manslaughter would be appropriate. Once you depress that trigger you own that bullet.  SO he could have been legal being in the woods at that time but the action of shooting her wasn't

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club