Killed while walking her dogs at 5:30, that's dark

Curmudgeon

3 hours ago, growalot said:

I won't get into another 11 page "discussion " over how POORLY NYS wrights it's rules....but I do need to find someone to make a point with wings emoticon...:wink:

Wait...

well if we're getting technical on definitions.. yes i'm your stalker.

wright
rīt/
noun
archaic
noun: wright; plural noun: wrights
  1. a maker or builder.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

That is not true, if hunting at night during any open deer season whether its a rifle area or not it must be less than 22 caliber.  before or after deer seasons you can use any caliber at night.

The part you referenced is referring to shooting coyotes during daytime shooting hours.

this is the part you're misreading and it's not well worded to your defense

in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited. 

so basically shotgun only like 7J does not allow rifle hunting at night during deer season. But 8F, where it is allowed you're ok.

the funny thing in all this, not to sidetrack is that these areas are ok with your 30-06 at night outside of deer season, but not with your 30-06 during the day. f'n NY

21 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

The area of 7J I hunt, rifles are allowed.  So with that said, how could an encon officer ever write a ticket for someone deer hunting before or after legal light in areas where rifle hunting deer is allowed?  Before or after legal light, you would be coyote hunting...

where? Is it by county? Maybe i got mixed up. I'm pretty sure tully where i hunt sometimes is still shotgun.

30 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

The area of 7J I hunt, rifles are allowed.  So with that said, how could an encon officer ever write a ticket for someone deer hunting before or after legal light in areas where rifle hunting deer is allowed?  Before or after legal light, you would be coyote hunting...

Most likely they won't write a ticket unless you are up to no good. They use their discretion and investigative skills to figure it out.

I'm not going to get into a lengthy debate about how things are written, cause I think we can all agree they are poorly written.  I think the intent of the law was that in areas that allow rifle hunting for deer, you could hunt coyote with a rifle that is less than 22 caliber at night during deer seasons.  This would create a defined line in the law that could be enforced as a rifle less than 22 caliber is not legal for use deer hunting, and if you were carrying a rifle 22 caliber or larger after hours you are clearly breaking the law.

Edited by Rack Attack

3 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

I'm not going to get into a lengthy debate about how things are written, cause I think we can all agree they are poorly written.  I think the intent of the law was that in areas that allow rifle hunting for deer, you could hunt coyote with a rifle that is less than 22 caliber at night during deer seasons.  This would create a defined line in the law that could be enforced as a rifle less than 22 caliber is not legal for use deer hunting, and if you were carrying a rifle 22 caliber or larger after hours you are clearly breaking the law.

I think you are missing this part too. Deer can be taken with ANY centerfire rifle. Just NOT rimfire. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rack Attack said:

Not True:

Possession and Use of Rifles for Hunting Furbearers

To determine whether you may use a rifle to hunt furbearers, answer the following questions:

1. Is any deer season open in the location you wish to hunt (including archery, muzzleloading, regular, late, and Deer Management Focus Area)?
    1. If NO, you may use any caliber rimfire or centerfire rifle for hunting furbearers.
    2. If YES, can deer be hunted with rifles in that location during the regular (firearms) deer season?
      1. If YES, you may use any caliber rimfire or centerfire rifle for hunting furbearers during any open deer season.
      2. If NO, you may only possess afield rimfire rifles .22-caliber or smaller, or centerfire rifles less than .22-caliber (e.g., .204, .17) during any open deer season. Once all deer seasons are closed, the restriction ends, except:
  2. You may never possess a rifle afield in Westchester, Nassau, and Suffolk counties.
  3. In the Northern Zone, it is illegal to carry a rifle larger than .22-caliber rimfire (or .22-caliber or larger centerfire rifles) at any time if accompanied by a dog, except when coyote hunting.
  6. It only applies to counties that do not allow deer hunting with rifles:
  7. you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season.

• 2 months later...