Sounds like the sinking ship is getting more holes.

Buckmaster7600

With the booming guns sales over the last 15 years it doesn't sound good for Remington. I know I haven't bough a new Remington in over 10 years until this year when they made a special run that I had to have. I think the days of nearly everyone's first shotgun being a 870 are gone forever.
 https://www.google.com/amp/beatricedailysun.com/sports/local/remington-arms-may-be-in-big-trouble/article_f227ea4a-e506-5dd7-a25b-3da42c3d7cf8.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My next purchase is a 11-87 Remington 12 semi slug gun.  Been eyeing them for a bit now.  My uncle worked at Remington for years. And this would be my first one.

That’s what I hunt 9F with, I think I bought it in ‘98. It’s a great gun with the rifled cantilever barrel. I put a $100 bushnell scope on it 19 years ago and it hasn’t moved. Best cheap glass ever and I’m not exactly careful with that gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

That’s what I hunt 9F with, I think I bought it in ‘98. It’s a great gun with the rifled cantilever barrel. I put a $100 bushnell scope on it 19 years ago and it hasn’t moved. Best cheap glass ever and I’m not exactly careful with that gun

I’m pretty close to that but a remmy 1100 purchased around 2002 with a cantilevered barrel and a $100 bushnell non powered red dot scope. I love this damn thing so much I won’t take my rifle out with me. I treat her horrible and she don’t care.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That's also the scope I would put on it. I love the Bushnell circle X reticle.  Perfect for a shotgun

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

My next purchase is a 11-87 Remington 12 semi slug gun.  Been eyeing them for a bit now.  My uncle worked at Remington for years. And this would be my first one.

And can't find this gun anywhere. Everything is sold out on backorder.  Even none on gun broker.  Looking for 21" cantilever barrel.  

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

You'll love it...I bought a Remington 11-87 with deer barrel in 1986 and used it every year until I bought my Remington 30-06 in 2013. I also bought a ventilated rib bird barrel with the Rem-Choke tube system and have used the 11-87 as my small game and turkey gun ever since I've had it. In all these years never any issues with it and it has seen more hours and adverse hunting conditions afield...although I admit I can be overly anal about breaking it down and wiping it down after a hunt in sloppy conditions. Plus a good cleaning and oiling after each deer season and turkey season. My 11-87 wood stock is starting to look it's age and I've been thinking about getting the camo stock and forend kit for it. I highly recommend the 11-87, you won't be disappointed.

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You don't want a new one, if that's what you want I would look for an older model.

Well that sucks casue I like the new ones with synthetic stock and cantilever barrel and setup for shoulder strap.  Why would they change a reliable classic and cause new issues? Maybe that's one reason Remington is struggling too. 

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Well that sucks casue I like the new ones with synthetic stock and cantilever barrel and setup for shoulder strap.  Why would they change a reliable classic and cause new issues? Maybe that's one reason Remington is struggling too. 

Like I said, I bought mine probably around 95 or so. It is a special purpose with a synthetic stock and a shoulder strap. I don't have the cantilever mount but you can buy that new. Even if you could only find an older gun with a wood stock, you can always make some upgrades to it. As long as the inner workings of the gun were made at least 10 years ago, I think you'll be good. Stocks, barrels, strap, and cantilever mount can all be replaced with new with no issues. 

• Thanks 1

The furlough has been in place for the past two weeks. Salary employees worked, while hourly employees got laid off for the past two weeks without pay. Everyone is scheduled to go back tomorrow morning but theres another week coming up in December that they get laid off again.

Sure, Remington isn't what it used to be, but they aren't as terrible as some make it out to seem. They still make a quality gun at an affordable price. I own many remington's both new and old, all of them work flawlessly. 

i had to do it!  got a Remington.  Been looking for one of these online and they were sold out everywhere and no backorder.  Couldnt even find one on gun broker.  Walked into the Oneida Herb philipsons and there is one in the case?????  They restocked from a big gun sales weekend and put that out form their stock.  20% off sale on all guns and another $10 off for purchase over a certain amount and a $10 gift card for store points.  Then 30% off all scopes as well. So by the time I got out of there the gun, scope, mounts and 2 boxes of shells for $40 les than the original price of the gun alone.  

Been wanting a Remington - well this Remington.  My uncle worked there and retired from there years ago. This was just too perfect that one was sitting there on sale and available !  

Shotgun.jpg

• Like 1

i had to do it!  got a Remington.  Been looking for one of these online and they were sold out everywhere and no backorder.  Couldnt even find one on gun broker.  Walked into the Oneida Herb philipsons and there is one in the case?????  They restocked from a big gun sales weekend and put that out form their stock.  20% off sale on all guns and another $10 off for purchase over a certain amount and a $10 gift card for store points.  Then 30% off all scopes as well. So by the time I got out of there the gun, scope, mounts and 2 boxes of shells for $40 les than the original price of the gun alone.  
Been wanting a Remington - well this Remington.  My uncle worked there and retired from there years ago. This was just too perfect that one was sitting there on sale and available !  
Shotgun.thumb.jpg.8333a373af462073b4bc86b51d9270fa.jpg

You will be very happy with that set up.

• Like 1

I got my 11-87 sportsman when I was 19, was my first gun, worked hard for that purchase, but I certainly love it, very reliable, I've been hunting with that thing ever since, I've taken numerous deer, turkey and small game with it, I do feel Remington's quality especially with their ammo has gone down hill, won't even consider buying their ammo

On 11/26/2017 at 9:02 PM, SuperMag said:

The furlough has been in place for the past two weeks. Salary employees worked, while hourly employees got laid off for the past two weeks without pay. Everyone is scheduled to go back tomorrow morning but theres another week coming up in December that they get laid off again.

Sure, Remington isn't what it used to be, but they aren't as terrible as some make it out to seem. They still make a quality gun at an affordable price. I own many remington's both new and old, all of them work flawlessly. 

Cutting "labor costs" while maintaining a bloated inept salaried payroll will not save them from poor management. 

14 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Cutting "labor costs" while maintaining a bloated inept salaried payroll will not save them from poor management. 

agreed. However, working with and for unions in the NE in both salary and hourly roles, I can tell you that you will get some of the best and most skilled labor available, but at costs that are becoming hard to justify and compete when less talented, but capable labor is available for a fraction of the cost in the south.

This is also on the high cost of living environment this blue state and others have created.

On 11/26/2017 at 6:22 AM, JALA RUT said:

You'll love it...I bought a Remington 11-87 with deer barrel in 1986 and used it every year until I bought my Remington 30-06 in 2013. I also bought a ventilated rib bird barrel with the Rem-Choke tube system and have used the 11-87 as my small game and turkey gun ever since I've had it. In all these years never any issues with it and it has seen more hours and adverse hunting conditions afield...although I admit I can be overly anal about breaking it down and wiping it down after a hunt in sloppy conditions. Plus a good cleaning and oiling after each deer season and turkey season. My 11-87 wood stock is starting to look it's age and I've been thinking about getting the camo stock and forend kit for it. I highly recommend the 11-87, you won't be disappointed.

I could have made this exact same post, right down to thinking about getting a camo synthetic stock lol. I bought the ventilated bird barrel last year for waterfowl and sold my BPS

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

got out to shoot but only a few minutes before dark last night and only bought a few shells to see if that brand would group ok in gun.  Last two shots - high one at 50 yards - lower one at 100!  Gonna run a few more thru it but like it sofar! 

a.jpg

Hornaday SST's are what I use. They group very well in my 1100

• Like 1

• 2 months later...