liver ok?

NYHuntFish

I got a deer this morning but my father isn't around to tell me if the liver is definitely good. Can someone help me here?

I see it's not "perfectly dark red" in that it has some white areas. And, There are two "small Brown patches" on it. I kept the kidneys too but different topic. thanks!

IMAG0790 - Copy.jpg

16 minutes ago, DoubleR said:

Appears fine to me. The kidneys are what I find interesting. I have never done anything with them however always been interested. How donyou prepare them?

Thank you for a reasonable response. 

I've hunted for over 30 years. About 5 years ago I decided I would try to "actually be good at it." Now I'm trying and trying to learn "self reliance."

To answer your question, I've never prepared kidneys. I'm thinking about this.

I've only really eaten small-game liver. this is new to me, but deer hunting is not. So I need to make sure this is good. Thanks

No problem. Many ppl love the liver but I haven't found a love for it unfortunately.  I think I overlook it thinking it will make it "safe" when I know it's perfectly fine to eat. 

Hope you like it better than I do and cheers to you for utilizing as much as you can. I respect that. 

• Like 1

Thank you for a reasonable response. 
I've hunted for over 30 years. About 5 years ago I decided I would try to "actually be good at it." Now I'm trying and trying to learn "self reliance."
To answer your question, I've never prepared kidneys. I'm thinking about this.
I've only really eaten small-game liver. this is new to me, but deer hunting is not. So I need to make sure this is good. Thanks
I know many people who eat the liver. Grilled or however you want it prepared. I have eaten it but I just don't like liver no matter how many times I've tried it (any animal). I've eaten kidneys of rabbits so I am assuming any would be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

the liver looks fine with deer you have to look for liver flukes which is a parasite we do have that in ny i only heard about it in wisconsin. i make the heart and liver cut in pieces and add onions and garlic and braise  them in red wine and stock let it go till tender, but a liver is big so i i cut some into slices soak in milk and fry with onions and bacon

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DoubleR said:

Appears fine to me. The kidneys are what I find interesting. I have never done anything with them however always been interested. How donyou prepare them?

I have a friend that loves the kidneys. He just fries them in a pan with some butter. They are actually pretty good.

i keep the liver the kidneys and the heart. Now i dont like liver i think its kinda nasty. the heart is amazing with a little bacon  and baked . The kidneys are good slice them and fry in skillet with butter, butter makes everything better. they willl be like sauteed mushroom caps. so good.whatever we dont eat gets fed to the dogs IE. liver

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2017 at 6:29 PM, wolc123 said:

I use to keep and eat all the deer livers, but now I only keep those from 6-month old deer.   The older ones are too tough.   That one looks ok in the OP photo.  How old was the deer ?

Not sure. 3x3 points (or 6 point as I used to say). Thanks!