TSI work

Zag

Hey all just thought I'd post some pics as we continue to make improvements to our land. This stand marked is about 5 acres in size. We got about 3 hrs of cutting in today and many more hrs to go. I've never done TSI during deer season and am hoping for good things as a result of this. I'll keep posting as we cut. First pic is before.

KIMG1260.jpg

KIMG1261.jpg

KIMG1262.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, land 1 said:

nice i got about 5 acres or more im going to clear cut during the winter to make bedding and get some food on the ground for the deer during winter. i did a couple acres last year and the deer where in eating the tops the next day

If you time your cuts right it's a great way to find sheds while they fight thru the branches to eat the buds! This stand is about 5 acres plus I'm working on a roughly 8 acre hinge cut in a current bedding area. Now I just need time to do it all.

• 1 month later...

Not trying to be a smart ass here but timber stand improvement and hinge cutting are rarely the same thing. Tsi is for timber quality. Hinge cutting is some deer habitat related deal (screening, browse, bedding, etc). Qdma once said no one should hinge cut a tree unless they know what it is and affects.

Because of you we can’t have nice things.

Im well aware of the difference. This is a tsi project like I mentioned but instead of just cutting the trees completely down ( how I use to with tsi)  I'm hinge cutting them. Look the tree still dies even though I hinged it and the other remaining more desirable trees benefit from the additional spacing and sun light. Its still accomplishing the same thing. 

Yesterday I had a few trees to clean up that fell on a seasonal driveway where I hunt.  The biggest tree was a red oak but when it came down it took a few dying ash with it.  

I had been down to there the past two weekends and the deer had really been going to town on the oak top.  The entire root structure came up when she fell so it was all still nice and "green". The deer were probably disappointed when I fired up the saw to clean things up but the limbs are still there, just not on the driveway.

5fiaLXq.jpg

lHcuy2Y.jpg

hTjPv0R.jpg

75YevO9.jpg

EclelDW.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I got the last bit of tsi done! Phew that was our last stand to complete and just in time with youth baseball about to kickin full swing. All the tsi and logging last fall plus the food plot in process should help!

KIMG0754.JPG

KIMG0755.JPG