Found Bait sight

Swamp_bucks

Well walking a piece of stateland ive hunted for years and i happen to look down and see what apears to be dog food.  Scratched my head and kept walking 20 more yards find some more now im livid kick the pile and keep walking.  40 more yards see a bright green bucket so i go to check it out and sure enough it has a spout on it with dog food coming out of it. That was the last straw now DEC knows and someone is going to have a bad afternoon when they come back because DEC said they will be there around 330-4 to hopefully catch the person red handed.  Drives me nuts i left because i didnt want to get caught hunting near a bait sight so my whole day hunt was ruined.  I did find a bucket like this one other time on this piece years ago with same thing dog food and 5gallon bucket with a spout.2

20171125_114927.jpg

20171125_123626.jpg

• Like 3

Not positive but those look to be Coon feeders and I do not believe they are illegal if they are being used for that purpose. Mostly used by trainers to keep Coons in a training area so they can have easy fresh tracks  to get pups started running and treeing Coons. Used for baiting Bear would of course would be illegal.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, airedale said:

Not positive but those look to be Coon feeders and I do not believe they are illegal if they are being used for that purpose. Mostly used by trainers to keep Coons in a training area so they can have easy fresh tracks  to get pups started running and treeing Coons. Used for baiting Bear would of course would be illegal.

Al

Never thought it could be that. Wouldnt they need to atleast have a tag identifying what they are for?   So theres not a mistake in thinking someone is baiting? Find out eventually DEC said they would call me regardless of what they find out.

I also think they are Coon feeders.I would think anything that has to do with hunting fishing trapping that will be left in the woods should have to have the persons identification on them whether it be tree stands traps or fishing eqp

I personally have never seen any kind of regulation regarding a Coon feeder when used for training Coon dogs, I seriously doubt whomever put them out would be trying to bait bear as a Bear would destroy the type pictured easily. The spout is to make it somewhat hard for the Coons to get at the dog food as they have to reach in a grab it a little bit at a time, also keeps the Foxes, Skunks, and Possums from eating it up. Some trainers also use old tires off the rim laying them on the ground and putting cheap dog food inside but they will have heavy loss from other critters getting at it.

Al

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

Those are for coons and pretty sure it is legal.  Really there is no reason to ruin your hunt for that...........  Deer are not gonna eat that garbage

With my luck the partner to the officer i spoke to would of shown up and i would of gotten a ticket. Hes good for that. Ive seen him do it before for other stuff.

But thanks for letting me know what it is sounds from what everone is saying that its a coon feeder. 

Feel like an ass now(not the first time though. Lol) but better safe than sorry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Deer are primarily vegetarians. I wouldn’t think they’d be attracted to dried meaty dog food unless starving to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may have been 2/3 years ago but I believe someone on here post a trailcam pic of a doe eating another part of a deer   Weird !

They also have video of deer eating live birds...

https://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2013/09/09/the-meat-eating-habits-of-deer/

It turns out that deer of various species have long been observed eating the flesh of the dead. Scientists have recorded deer devouring dead fish that had drifted to shore, gobbling them up at a rate of up to eight per minute. Deer have often been spotted feeding on larger carrion—sometimes even on the guts of other dead deer.