Why do people take these shots?

mowin

Butchered a decent 6pt for a buddy. Noticed a bulge the size of a softball in front of the shoulder. It was full of puss and coagulated blood.  Definitely a frontal shot.  

You can see the arrow clipped the shoulder blade, and almost exited the opposite side mid rib. Buck had tons of fat which tells me this hit was a few weeks ago and wasn't moving around much chasing does because the other bucks we've butchered had little to no fat. 

IMG_20171125_160845505.jpg

IMG_20171125_161138203.jpg

We see and hear more and more about poor shots, wounded deer (thank God for people like Tom & Luna), hunters shooting hunters, Encon Officers and now their neighbors.  I can't help but feel that too much attention is given to getting the deer than is given to enjoying the sport and the outdoors.  If people would remember that, many of these poor shots and injured and killed innocent bystanders would become less frequent.

• Like 3

I put some of the blame on the hunting shows.  They take risky shots and rationalize the choice to do so by saying I knew I could hit him where I wanted to. 

Too many variables on a quartering on shot. Should never be taken. 

• Thanks 1

I shot a buck on Dec 9 , 2006 with my NEF Huntsman ML . When I went to field dress him I saw something weird . He had a broken arrow shaft below his eye . When I gave it a nudge I could see the other end move by his neck . Here are pics of the wounds . I also asked on a different site what the wire was on behind the broadhead on the shaft . I was told that it was for a String Tracker . Apparently that didn't work for the shooter ! 

BP 8 point buck at Sharyn's 12-09-06 007.jpg

BP 8 point buck at Sharyn's 12-09-06 012.jpg

BP 8 point buck at Sharyn's 12-09-06 016.jpg

BP 8 point buck at Broadhead 003.jpg

• Like 1

When I processed deer commercially, I saw a lot of these shots. To answer the original question,

1). Because they or someone they know killed a deer with a quartering to or frontal shot or in the rain, and they keep hoping they will get lucky again (and usually don't).

2) Some "guru" on Bowsite.net tells them that these shots work, and they so want to believe them (but they usually don't).

• Like 1

It’s the same question one can ask when hunters shoot each other or people walking dogs.

I get it that you can sit for a long time, sometimes many days without seeing anything and just get so excited and don’t want an opportunity to pass but discipline is important.

I have a few shots I didn’t take that sometimes I think maybe I should have, but I know it’s better to regret not taking one, than to wound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nybuckboy said:

I'm not sure where I got this but they can survive like no other creature I know. 

Yeah, I sliced my finger open wide skinning a deer years ago (probably should have gotten stitches, but I was too busy to go to the ER), I didn't even feel it at first since it was a fixed broadhead, super sharp. Anyway, it was embedded in the backbone, with a hard callous surrounding it. The hunter shot the deer through the ribs, so it wasn't his broadhead.Why the deer wasn't paralyzed I can't explain, but judging by the size and hardness of the callous, I'd guess the deer had been carrying the broadhead in his back at least since the previous season, maybe longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Many hunters put so much pressure on themselves to get a deer. If the deer happens to have a decent rack, some of these people go absolutely berserk. Shot selection be damned.....Just get an shot somewhere in him.....anywhere! All the good words and training and lecturing go out the window when that level of excitement takes control of their mind. You can preach until you are blue in the face, but these people are just go nuts when a deer finally gets anywhere near them and they lose all control of themselves. And it happens regardless of what weapon is being used.

• Like 2

Why does everyone assume it was a poor shot choice? Lots of things can happen between the shot and impact. I agree that there can be issues with hunters getting over zealous and not choosing the optimal shot placement, but to always assume that is the reason why a deer is running around with an arrow wound is just not realistic. I would wager that almost all of the bow hunters here have a story about a poor shot they can not explain that left them scratching their head. It happens.. it doesn't make you an "unethical hunter"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, nyantler said:

Why does everyone assume it was a poor shot choice? Lots of things can happen between the shot and impact. I agree that there can be issues with hunters getting over zealous and not choosing the optimal shot placement, but to always assume that is the reason why a deer is running around with an arrow wound is just not realistic. I would wager that almost all of the bow hunters here have a story about a poor shot they can not explain that left them scratching their head. It happens.. it doesn't make you an "unethical hunter"

That is true. Deer reactions and just plain screw-ups do happen. However, it wouldn't surprise me  whole lot if many of these poor results are the result of simple panic and poor choices, or even some of the screw-ups are a result of pressured panic and other forms of basic buck fever style breakdown. Yes there are many different reasons for face-shot, leg hits, or gut shot deer running around with arrows or slugs or bullets in bad places, and there are some things that simply fall under the category of bad luck. But I suspect that many of the cases of bad luck are self inflicted by bad decisions and excessive pressure to just get something.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That is true. Deer reactions and just plain screw-ups do happen. However, it wouldn't surprise me  whole lot if many of these poor results are the result of simple panic and poor choices, or even some of the screw-ups are a result of pressured panic and other forms of basic buck fever style breakdown. Yes there are many different reasons for face-shot, leg hits, or gut shot deer running around with arrows or slugs or bullets in bad places, and there are some things that simply fall under the category of bad luck. But I suspect that many of the cases of bad luck are self inflicted by bad decisions and excessive pressure to just get something.

I absolutely agree... self inflicted bad luck and taking a deliberate unethical shot however are not the same thing.. that was the point I was making.

19 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The frontal shot on that one was actually a followup shot to a severely wounded deer. He had been tracking and had bumped it previously. In those circumstances, such a shot is certainly justified.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:16 AM, mowin said:

Butchered a decent 6pt for a buddy. Noticed a bulge the size of a softball in front of the shoulder. It was full of puss and coagulated blood.  Definitely a frontal shot.  

You can see the arrow clipped the shoulder blade, and almost exited the opposite side mid rib. Buck had tons of fat which tells me this hit was a few weeks ago and wasn't moving around much chasing does because the other bucks we've butchered had little to no fat. 

IMG_20171125_160845505.jpg

IMG_20171125_161138203.jpg

What did you do with the deer since it had that infection?