Skulls

StevieSacs

just did my first one also.  i haven't bleached it yet.   takes more boiling than they say in youtube vids.  
yours came out great.  good job on the duck.

Pretty sure peroxide is suggested versus bleach. Bleach will brittle the bone.
And great job OP. They look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

They look great Stevie. Did you use the "boil" method?

And TF hit the nail on the head by saying to use peroxide and NOT bleach. I know it's the term used but want everyone reading to be sure.

If anyone has any questions, I've done a few myself and can answer any you may have so PM me if you'd like. I'm no expert but will share what I've done.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Pretty sure peroxide is suggested versus bleach. Bleach will brittle the bone.
And great job OP. They look great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are correct, i mispoke - i used the peroxide that was the 50% at the ladies hair store.

• Like 1

Great job on both! And I like the piece of wood you used for the base.
Do you boil and if so, do you add anything to the water or cover the antlers at all during the boil?  I ask because my antlers tend to darken a little.
I add a little Dawn dish soap to mine to help control some of the grease is all. I've read that Borax powdered laundry soap is good to use as well but never tried it. I Also use electrical tape on the bases of the antlers to help protect them. I will use sticks or wood to prop the skull up so the antlers don't get wet at the bases which helps them keep their natural color.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Lookin good! Also as a warning. My BIL had a cool basket 10 he was doing and you know girls...that ain't boiling in my house....lol So he has a huge grill and puts a big pot on it and starts boiling the head. He leaves it for a while and well the cover fell closed on the grill, can't remember wind or prop stick broke, no matter. He comes back a while later and is hearing pop pop pop ding ding and runs over and lift the top and the antler points were just popping off and blowing apart. I still remember seeing him trying to glue em back together lol. 

Dropping off my daughters buck head at buddies today. Going to try a pressure washer. He's heard great results to get the crap off of it

Thats how i do euros. Scrape all the meat off and fur and then blast the skull with my pressure washer. Takes about 20 minutes tops and comes out just as good if not better

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Deadhunter25 said:

Thats how i do euros. Scrape all the meat off and fur and then blast the skull with my pressure washer. Takes about 20 minutes tops and comes out just as good if not better

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

so you don't boil?

The pressure washer does work very well.   Like DH say's, cut off the hide and ears first, then give it a blast.   I get suited up in rain gear and place the skull in a wood frame (like an old pallet) out on the blacktop or concrete driveway.  You have to flip it over a few times to get all the spots.   It also takes me about 20 minutes with a 3200 psi washer to blast everything off.   When done, just blast all the remnants off to the side of the driveway. and the birds always have all the mess cleaned up within 24 hours.  It is so much better than having to smell up the house or boil in a pot outdoors, and then have to clean the stuff up manually afterwords.   There are a few good Youtube videos on the process.     

post-5805-0-82524100-1449372907.jpg

This picture was taken with the one on the right, fresh off the blaster, two days after it was killed.

• Like 2