Footwear

CoffeeBoy

Was out all day Friday. After 3 hours in the stand, my feet were frozen. My boots are 600g insulation, but they are pretty old. I guess it's time for a new pair.

What is everyone doing to keep their feet semi-warm? What boots/socks are you partial to?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

get the electric insoles i think they are a hundred bucks. Or 1000 grams and wool socks. put heater packs in your inside pockets of your pants I use the hot to go they last for about an hour but require no oxygen.after a couple hours when the chill starts i crack the ones in my pants pockets it helps.

4 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

I have Rocky Lynx w 600g  and a pair of Danner High Grounds with 1000g of insulation.  But.....I use the disposable toe warmers. They work like a charm and keep my feet really warm.

I too use the Rocky's in 800g and 1200g, and the disposable toe warmers do work great! I also buy my cold weather sitting boots, two sizes big to fit a thin and heavy wool sock, with plenty of room left to wriggle the toes when they start chilling. I also put a hand warmer in each front pocket of my pants. With all the blood flow near the groin, this helps keep the feet warmer for longer too. 

• Like 1

I currently use cabelas 2000 gram rubber boots, the key to keeping my feet warm is i first put on a pair of lite dress sock and over that i use Alpacha socks. And another key ingredient is to go 2 sizes up with any boot you get so you have enough space to move your toes. A tight boot is your worst enemy. This combination has worked very well for many years. I recently ordered a pair of Baffin boots  and will test them out in the late season. Although i like my rubber boots,  they can make slight noises at times as i walk.

i think boots are a lot like gloves. there are different types for different seasons. Many of us, myself included try to buy the one pair of hunting boots. But your 10/7 boot will not be ideal on 12/7 and vice versa. I have a good pair of rocky pack boots but only bust them out on the coldest of cold because i can barely walk any hilly terrain in them. My mucks are my go to, but I'm thinking of trying to find a lighter pair for early season and turkey. I have the woody max which aren't as warm as the arctic pros. More of a middle of the road temp. I counter this with thermacell liners and a good layered sock approach. 

Edited by Belo

I too use the Cabela's 2000 gram rubber boot.  I bought a size up and wear a pair of smart wool socks.  On cold days I'll sit the first few hours then take them off and drop in hot hands foot warmers.  I've found if I double up on socks or start out with the foot warmers in my feet sweat on the walk in and it only makes things worse.

Muck hands down. Went through a bunch of others before trying them as I didn't think a rubber boot could be warmer than a pack or leather etc. I have the arctic sports and arctic pros. Sports are prob pushing the 10 year mark and I still wear them all seasons. Turkey to Yotes. Pros are bigger so I use them for long cold sits. You won't be dissapointed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Belo said:

muck's are the shit. try to find them on sale. You'll easily get 10 years out of them and that averages out to like $10 a year. 

They are decent and comfortable.  I wear them for work in the spring,fall, winter and I barely get a year out of them.  I like them, and keep buying them, but I don't love them.  They are overpriced and don't come in half sizes.  If they did, then I wouldn't wear them out so fast.  Even if I wore them just for hunting there is no way they would last me 10 years.

7 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

They are decent and comfortable.  I wear them for work in the spring,fall, winter and I barely get a year out of them.  I like them, and keep buying them, but I don't love them.  They are overpriced and don't come in half sizes.  If they did, then I wouldn't wear them out so fast.  Even if I wore them just for hunting there is no way they would last me 10 years.

I only wear them for hunting/scouting.  I get about 3 seasons out of them.  You can get them after the season on ebay pretty cheap.

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I only wear them for hunting/scouting.  I get about 3 seasons out of them.  You can get them after the season on ebay pretty cheap.

Good info Moog.  I will have to look around online.  I usually don't buy on ebay.  I think I would be all set if they had half sizes.  A smaller size would be tight and therefor cold. I wear the larger size and it makes the heel sloppy and it chews the guys out of the inside of the boot.  Either that or I get a hole punched in them, and then they leak.  I shouldn't badmouth Muck too bad, but I imagine they are making a killing on their Chinese made boots.  "Wish a Ford and a Chevy would last ten years like they should."  

5 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

Good info Moog.  I will have to look around online.  I usually don't buy on ebay.  I think I would be all set if they had half sizes.  A smaller size would be tight and therefor cold. I wear the larger size and it makes the heel sloppy and it chews the guys out of the inside of the boot.  Either that or I get a hole punched in them, and then they leak.  I shouldn't badmouth Muck too bad, but I imagine they are making a killing on their Chinese made boots.  "Wish a Ford and a Chevy would last ten years like they should."  

You can usually find the elites with a retail price of $185 ish for under $100 shipped.  The lesser cost models even cheaper.  Watch for them post season.  Good luck.  Mine typically breakdown when the neoprene uppers get torn by thorns.  I patch em up for a while.  But the soles did separate by year 4.

Edited by moog5050

1 hour ago, CoffeeBoy said:

What about Muck brand boots? Any good or mostly hype?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mucks are great.  I lucked out finding a $35 pair of Fieldblazers in a Cabela's Bargain Cave.  Mind you these are not insulated, but not heavy and clunky either.  I'd rather stay nimble.

Footwear is a personal fit thing and your blood circulation may be different too so go with whatever works for you.  To keep warm while hunting, I wear a heavyweight Smartwool hiking sock with a toe warmer stuck to the bottom.  On top of that I wear a second wool sock with a Hot Hands warmer taped on top of the Smartwool sock.  Feet stay toasty warm unless I'm in a ground blind with snow/ice directly underfoot.

I guess I am lucky like turkeyfeathers in the fact that my body takes the cold really well. I have a pair of morrells 600 gr. boots for above freezing. Then i have 1000gr. cheapy guide gear boots for colder hunting and for ice fishing.

Several, including me, have said that a lot of people get their boots too snug. Try to leave some room, including your socks. I use merino wool or a synthetic blend that wicks any moisture away. In case you happen to come across it, my socks that have the rating on the label say (TOG of 2.4).

I'm really surprised at the lifespan of others mucks. Literally, I can't pinpoint but my arctic sports are 8 or 9. I have worn them from turkey to sheds, bow to muzzle then coyote for all those years. No there boot used. I have supplimented with the arctic pros for the last few years and kept using my sports for anytime I had a walk ahead of me. Also use them for cleaning the driveway or any other chore type duty all winter. They are in great shape and don't leak a bit. They are a bit loose with normal socks and the insides are still perfect. Maybe I just got a lucky pair ? I also stayed away from the Woody's cause I refused to pay extra for the camo. The sports are basically the same thing just black and the pros are rated a bit better for cold and they are brown.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I'm really surprised at the lifespan of others mucks. Literally, I can't pinpoint but my arctic sports are 8 or 9. I have worn them from turkey to sheds, bow to muzzle then coyote for all those years. No there boot used. I have supplimented with the arctic pros for the last few years and kept using my sports for anytime I had a walk ahead of me. Also use them for cleaning the driveway or any other chore type duty all winter. They are in great shape and don't leak a bit. They are a bit loose with normal socks and the insides are still perfect. Maybe I just got a lucky pair ? I also stayed away from the Woody's cause I refused to pay extra for the camo. The sports are basically the same thing just black and the pros are rated a bit better for cold and they are brown.

I agree with you. I have a pair of Mucks for close to 8.5 years. I wear them throughout the year (in the summer I dig out/tend the garden) and the are in fair condition. Nothing is wrong with them except the outside color is meh! 

I too am sold on the Arctic Mucks. I have a pair of Rocky super PAC boots that look like they should have their own zip codes, but the Mucks are 95% as warm and much easier to wear.

i wear a pair of polypropylene liner socks and Smart wool heavy socks, and some toe warmers when it gets in the teens.

Will