New From Utah

UTKR

Just wanted to hop on and introduce myself.  I'm 32 years old and work remotely for a small sales company in Utah.  Just moved to Victor, from Utah with my wife and 5 year old son.  My wife is attending grad school in Rochester and is from the area originally. 

I grew up in Utah fly-fishing the small rivers and streams for trout, and hunting ducks, grouse, pheasants, and chukar whenever I had a spare second.  Also, I love to chase Turkeys(We have Rio Grandes) in the mountains every spring.

I picked up a bow about 5 years ago and have spent every possible second during the fall in the mountains chasing Mule Deer and Elk, with a few trips to Wyoming to hunt Pronghorn as well.  Have been fortunate to harvest a few cow elk over the past few years, and was fortunate to harvest a muley doe with my bow  this year before moving out here in addition to helping my good friend harvest his first deer with a bow(it was a dandy buck).  As far as big game hunting is concerned I'm a relative novice, but it is one of the things I am most passionate about.  If anyone is headed out west for any hunts next fall and have any questions, I can't promise I have all the answers, but I am more than happy to share what I know.  

Between getting settled and work obligations, I don't anticipate that I'll be doing any hunting this year, but look forward to chasing turkeys in the spring and spending some time in the woods and learning all I can about Whitetails before next fall rolls around.  Excited for this new chapter, and as sad as I was to leave the mountains and elk behind, am really looking forward to hunting here and enjoying what your state has to offer.  

• Like 2

welcome in!  And NY turkey and whitetail hunting is pretty good, but prob not quite the same experience as the mountains out west.  But you can def have some good experiences here.  And if you havent been to NY much before you will be surprised by the amount of farmland and open spaces. Everyone thinks NY is NYC and its just so different .  - best of luck 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

welcome in!  And NY turkey and whitetail hunting is pretty good, but prob not quite the same experience as the mountains out west.  But you can def have some good experiences here.  And if you havent been to NY much before you will be surprised by the amount of farmland and open spaces. Everyone thinks NY is NYC and its just so different .  - best of luck 

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm excited about the change of scenery and learning how to adapt to new species/hunting styles.   I'll have to get used to sitting in a tree instead of spot and stalk hunting the big open country out west.  Pretty excited about all the opportunity to hunt and fish out here.  I knew it was much different than what most envision when they hear "New York,"   and I'm grateful for that.

3 minutes ago, UTKR said:

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm excited about the change of scenery and learning how to adapt to new species/hunting styles.   I'll have to get used to sitting in a tree instead of spot and stalk hunting the big open country out west.  Pretty excited about all the opportunity to hunt and fish out here.  I knew it was much different than what most envision when they hear "New York,"   and I'm grateful for that.

gotta say that whitetail hunting is def a puzzle and challenging and a lot of fun.  And also NY has some GREAT fishing.  Good luck 

18 minutes ago, Ontario Buckhunter said:

Welcome aboard. If you are looking for fly fishing locally try Irondequoit Creek at Fishers and Powder Mills park, it is stocked every spring.

Thanks for the tip and the welcome.  I've actually been hiking/jogging over at Powder Mills Park 4 or 5 times a week since I got here to get my fix of being outside.  Have thought that creek looks awfully enticing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Welcome aboard. My ex-wife and Son live in Midway. I love Utah for the sites. Beautiful place. Sorry you had to leave. Enjoy your hunting here in NY. You forgot something, hunting Coyote and Fox. If your going to hunt, might as well dig in and get'er done.