Seeking Rochester NY Area Lease

• 7 months later...

I'd go in on a lease with somebody if it were east of the city (ideally in western wayne county or east monroe).

It's amazing there are no leases. I've been trying to find one for a couple of years and none in this area that are availble. They're all further out from the city centers (like as in much further out!) or already taken.

im amazed at how people wont drive an hour or so to get to available land. higher speed on rural roads is the same as as time spent on surburban street fighting traffic and stop lights signs..  drive and hour or hour and a half you cannfind all kinds of land.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, G-Man said:

im amazed at how people wont drive an hour or so to get to available land. higher speed on rural roads is the same as as time spent on surburban street fighting traffic and stop lights signs..  drive and hour or hour and a half you cannfind all kinds of land.

I dunno, i guess my time is valuable to me? 

2016 hunting season I went out 24 times, driving 45 min each way, with a 15 minute walk, then up in a climber, and had deer in front of me only one out of every 12 trips (not a typo), so I know about dragging my ass out of bed for a drive.

Last year my spot was one hour five minutes away, each way, but at least I saw deer.

Every time you go hunting an hour away you're out $30 in gas and depreciation on your vehicle ($15 in gas another $15 in depreciation/wear even for an older vehicle), plus you've blown two hours every time you want to hunt.

The better question is why are people willing to waste all that time? To me I'd happily pay a thousand bucks for good land close by, then I can sleep in longer, and back to entertain the kids earlier as well, plus no sense that I need to hang out there well into late morning on account of having driven so far.

Damn you guys got it easy , i drive 3 1/2 hours one way without traffic. But when we do go its usually for a long weekend or during the week for a few days. But then again its also a place we go to  not only  for hunting but to enjoy with family. Id drive 1 hr. easily to hunt and go home the same day. That seems like a no brainer, but then again after driving 3 1/2hrs a 1 hr. Drive is a piece of cake.. But everyone has different priorities and obligations so to each their own. 

I see your point, ( I drive 35 miles each way about 40 minutes in the morning  ) but your numbers are high to me . I just drove 440 miles in seven hours and it cost me $36 in gas ( 13.3 gallons @ 2.70) , $15 and hour  it would have cost, me $105 .

Age is the predominant factor in depreciation, miles is a factor but not by much . But yes as someone who hunts many days that hour and a half round trip gets old , which is why I often just hunt a morning, so I have time at home to do stuff .

NYBowhunter, sure I’d drive That to stay a few days, I go down and back everyday , and sometimes twice a day !

After 30 years it gets old, no cabin it’s farmland .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

20 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I see your point, ( I drive 35 miles each way about 40 minutes in the morning  ) but your numbers are high to me . I just drove 440 miles in seven hours and it cost me $36 in gas ( 13.3 gallons @ 2.70) , $15 and hour  it would have cost, me $105 .

Age is the predominant factor in depreciation, miles is a factor but not by much . But yes as someone who hunts many days that hour and a half round trip gets old , which is why I often just hunt a morning, so I have time at home to do stuff .

NYBowhunter, sure I’d drive That to stay a few days, I go down and back everyday , and sometimes twice a day !

you just need to tag out in a day or two to cut expenses ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im in the same boat as NYBowhunter. I drive 1 1/2  (sometimes 1:15) one way to get to my closest spot. Id love to just have to drive 40 min. Id take that in a heart beat. 

Well i think my one way is a tad longer...lol..its 3 1/2 hours one way,  but i get your point. Its still a 3 hr. Round trip if you only go for the day and thats alot of driving. But if the spot is worth it, then why not.

Stay at home nomad, why not just get a cheap $500-1000 trailer and put it on the land. Gives you place to get out of the elements, rest and also a place to stay overnight if needed. As long as its on wheels i dont think it will have any tax implications. Unless its not your land then i can see why you dont have any structures. But yeah traveling 40 minutes twice a day i can see that being annoying after a while.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Well i think my one way is a tad longer...lol..its 3 1/2 hours one way,  but i get your point. Its still a 3 hr. Round trip if you only go for the day and thats alot of driving. But if the spot is worth it, then why not.

Stay at home nomad, why not just get a cheap $500-1000 trailer and put it on the land. Gives you place to get out of the elements, rest and also a place to stay overnight if needed. As long as its on wheels i dont think it will have any tax implications. Unless its not your land then i can see why you dont have any structures. But yeah traveling 40 minutes twice a day i can see that being annoying after a while.  

You defintely have me beat haha. Id do a 3 hour one way trip if i had a house to sleep in over night. But like you said, if the spot is worth it id do the same

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

That's 40 min of quality time with your classic buick.  I don't see the problem!

• Like 2

Ya not my land, but owner treats me very well, I post it, it’s my area alone to hunt and they mow for me. I do have a very small hut built on it .

Some days I go to lunch then nap in the hut , till last light .

Hers hut and Buick best hunting vehicle known to man !

4F56C2EF-9DA4-4485-A7FB-CED3C3E4BEBE.jpeg

B0F31EC0-CEF6-4062-A3CE-CFF02A627586.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3

so youll pay a good $ for a close lease but could pay way less for more land and get a hotel room for many nights for less than the big  $ lease close to home..  idk i drive 1.5 hours to work one way and 3 hr the other.. the right property and you shoulnt need to hunt it more than a few times to fill tag for.meat and if you just want to tag out.. i think its worth the drive.

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I gotta hand it to,you, I was groaning starting my 20 minute drive to work , but I’m just lazy .

i use to live 7.miles from work took 30 min fighting traffic. now im 80 and it take 1.5 hours but i have almost 300 acres and life is good..

14 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Im in the same boat as NYBowhunter. I drive 1 1/2  (sometimes 1:15) one way to get to my closest spot. Id love to just have to drive 40 min. Id take that in a heart beat. 

40 min is not terrible if it's a short walk and a good area with lots of deer.

Ideally I'd be 10-20 min away :)

I've been going to that site a couple years. I've honestly never seen anything available in monroe or wayne.

This is another lease site, they always look like the attached.

leases.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Core said:

40 min is not terrible if it's a short walk and a good area with lots of deer.

Ideally I'd be 10-20 min away :)

I've been going to that site a couple years. I've honestly never seen anything available in monroe or wayne.

This is another lease site, they always look like the attached.

leases.png

10-20 min is a wet dream for me. Only thing I have around here in a 10-20 min ride is some pretty good fishing. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, Core said:

I'd go in on a lease with somebody if it were east of the city (ideally in western wayne county or east monroe).

I personally  would never lease property for hunting. Seems like a waste of money to me. Even though it would end up costing more I think buying a piece would be more practical. At least you can get some money back when you sell and get some return on your investment. With a lease it is gone forever. Real estate as a rule does not depreciate but as the saying goes...to each their own.

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

I personally  would never lease property for hunting. Seems like a waste of money to me. Even though it would end up costing more I think buying a piece would be more practical. At least you can get some money back when you sell and get some return on your investment. With a lease it is gone forever. Real estate as a rule does not depreciate but as the saying goes...to each their own.

I see a lease as requiring two payments, the cost of the property and the taxes.  The taxes are shot, money out the window and when you pay it is gone and provides no additional value to the property.  The mortgage payment or cash you paid is value. If a lease is not over the tax value of the property I don't see how it is any more of a waste than owning and paying the taxes.  (property appreciation aside)

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

Run the numbers you'll see leasing is probably a great deal cheaper than owning property as an investment.

I had a guy offer me a $1k lease on a 45 acre property last year. The property taxes on that alone cost more than $1k (also gone forever!). Even if the property had been gifted to me I would have had to pay more to cover the taxes, and land in NY does not appreciate very quickly...certainly much, much slower than the same money invested into equities.

Case in point I know a guy who just closed on some land in Penfield, where there is not a great deal of land. This land was purchased at $3200/acre in 1994. This guy paid $15, 500/acre. Great investment, right? Nope. Awful, awful investment.

That same amount of money put into the S&P 500 would now be worth $28k/acre.

Except it was much worse than that, because that money in the S&P 500 cost nothing to hold. Meanwhile, the property owner paid over 20 years of property taxes. He purchased it as an investment and had he just purchased stocks would be up multi six figures on his investment now above holding the land.

Edited by Core

Like I said...to each their own. I would rather have the land and have a place to hunt than think about the "financial" benefits of leasing or owning. The farthest thing from my mind when sitting in my stand is how much it is costing me to sit here and could I find a cheaper, closer, way to hunt. I hunt to hunt and if I have to drive two miles, forty miles, or walk out my back door; it's all the same to me. Although I do like just walking out the back door I still cover a few miles to hunt and love every minute of it.

With all the state land available in NY one does not have to own or lease.

• Like 2