Seeking Rochester NY Area Lease

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Core said:

Every time you go hunting an hour away you're out $30 in gas and depreciation on your vehicle ($15 in gas another $15 in depreciation/wear even for an older vehicle), plus you've blown two hours every time you want to hunt.

The better question is why are people willing to waste all that time

Sounds like you should stop hunting and take up something that doesn't cost money, use up gas, depreciate your vehicle, or waste time. Let me know when you figure that one out and I hope you enjoy it.:popcorn:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

Run the numbers you'll see leasing is probably a great deal cheaper than owning property as an investment.
I had a guy offer me a $1k lease on a 45 acre property last year. The property taxes on that alone cost more than $1k (also gone forever!). Even if the property had been gifted to me I would have had to pay more to cover the taxes, and land in NY does not appreciate very quickly...certainly much, much slower than the same money invested into equities.
Case in point I know a guy who just closed on some land in Penfield, where there is not a great deal of land. This land was purchased at $3200/acre in 1994. This guy paid $15, 500/acre. Great investment, right? Nope. Awful, awful investment.
That same amount of money put into the S&P 500 would now be worth $28k/acre.
Except it was much worse than that, because that money in the S&P 500 cost nothing to hold. Meanwhile, the property owner paid over 20 years of property taxes. He purchased it as an investment and had he just purchased stocks would be up multi six figures on his investment now above holding the land.

Not just that but if the hunting sucks, the neighbors are crappy, trespassers are rampant etc you just don't renew and find a new lease
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 9:12 PM, Steve D said:

Sounds like you should stop hunting and take up something that doesn't cost money, use up gas, depreciate your vehicle, or waste time. Let me know when you figure that one out and I hope you enjoy it.:popcorn:

Thanks for the valuable comment.

You made a claim about the financial benefit to purchasing, I countered it, then you deflected by saying you don't care about the finances anyway.

A few weeks ago there was a discount at build a bear. You could buy a build a bear for your age. e.g. a 3 year old only pays $3. Some people took their kids to the local mall and stood in line for the entire day. Like 6-7 hours, to save perhaps $20.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:02 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

Not just that but if the hunting sucks, the neighbors are crappy, trespassers are rampant etc you just don't renew and find a new lease

Absolutely true. Easy with a lease, not so much if you bought the land and now need to sell it because the neighbor insists on letting the pit bulls that he breeds run around his and everybody else's property.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, Steve D said:

Like I said...to each their own. I would rather have the land and have a place to hunt than think about the "financial" benefits of leasing or owning. The farthest thing from my mind when sitting in my stand is how much it is costing me to sit here and could I find a cheaper, closer, way to hunt. I hunt to hunt and if I have to drive two miles, forty miles, or walk out my back door; it's all the same to me. Although I do like just walking out the back door I still cover a few miles to hunt and love every minute of it.

With all the state land available in NY one does not have to own or lease.

Exactly Steve! Years ago I had permission on a place in Steuben County. Used to drive a 4 hour round trip from Monroe County to hunt. Sometimes just for the afternoon sit. Fell in love with the area and bought parcels from the farmer when they put them up for sale to raise money for various stuff. Couldn't really afford it at the time but took loans (paid interest), Borrowed on my 401k (lost earnings) and did without to get it.

Built a house on it 10 years ago and now pay bukoo taxes on it. In fact, the cumulative taxes have now totaled way more than the original land purchase price. Almost double. I guess I'm a terrible investor and will work a bit longer before retirement because of it. Might even sell it at some point in retirement just to escape the tax burden.

But you know what? No regrets. I wake up and hear the coyotes sing, I watch the fawns from the living room, and walk out my door to hunt. I almost don't ever hunt anywhere else anymore.

I'm a terrible investor but I'll be dead in 30-ish years and nobody will give a crap about anything I did. You live life only once.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, G-Man said:

started buying land in 93 for 300 an acre now have close to 300 acres.. i wish i started earlier..

Damn, I overpaid! I started in '92 for 700/acre, last was in '07 for 1000/acre.

I've been to your place Greg, the area and landscape is almost identical to my area. I should have hired you as my agent back in "92!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Core said:

You made a claim about the financial benefit to purchasing, I countered it, then you deflected by saying you don't care about the finances anyway

Just My opinion...You can't put a price on being happy & satisfied. Everyone cares about finances but there are somethings in life you are going to spend it on regardless;  and for me hunting in one of them. For someone else it could be golf, going to the movies, or collecting beanie babies.

8 hours ago, Core said:

A few weeks ago there was a discount at build a bear. You could buy a build a bear for your age. e.g. a 3 year old only pays $3. Some people took their kids to the local mall and stood in line for the entire day.

You can bet I wouldn't be doing that either or going shopping on "black Friday" but like I said before..to each their own.

• 4 weeks later...

Warming my wife up to letting me get some land.

Land can be had around $1500-2000/acre not that far from me (within 20 minutes). I don't readily have the money sitting around for such a project but willing to stretch to make it happen.

Leasing land in the rochester area is mostly impossible. I've been trying for a couple years, there's just really nothing here, nobody wants to do it.

Is there really anything to know when buying some land for hunting, other than check with the town that all the taxes are paid up?

Edited by Core

16 minutes ago, Core said:

Land can be had around $1500-2000/acre not that far from me (within 20 minutes). I don't readily have the money sitting around for such a project but willing to stretch to make it happen.

Leasing land in the rochester area is mostly impossible. I've been trying for a couple years, there's just really nothing here, nobody wants to do it.

Is there really anything to know when buying some land for hunting, other than check with the town that all the taxes are paid up?

My first look is at the people that live on all sides of you. Even the best hunting land sucks when there are dipshit's next to you...And then on you. If  your buying 250-500 acres its much easier for sure. Smaller lots need more investigating and much more if your not real close or living on it.

8 hours ago, Core said:

if you buy land in a flood plain( 100 year plain i mean) you can barter your taxes down. if you put it into a conservation easement allowing no building again taxes go down.

if you buy wooded land know your trees many are fairly worthless. but you may have stand that will ease yourself in retirement. if your young enough a young woods will mature and give you retirement profit in sale of lumber and fire wood if you manage it as it grows for full potential. dont think. you have the knowledge to do it join a forest owners association or hire a forester. either way buy guide books and learn your trees and plants ...

know if it has easements on it. mineral rights, if it has building on it you may be able to get morgage on it. 

• Like 1

as for those who think land is bad investment ill give you an example of how it can be way better. family farm outside a city 30 min away bought for 500 an acre. kept 20 years sold for 22500.an acre to developers.. do like kind exchange on new propety 5x the size of family farm in country..just pay taxes on it manage it and have best hunting and living area to live..

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 7:28 AM, G-Man said:

as for those who think land is bad investment ill give you an example of how it can be way better. family farm outside a city 30 min away bought for 500 an acre. kept 20 years sold for 22500.an acre to developers.. do like kind exchange on new propety 5x the size of family farm in country..just pay taxes on it manage it and have best hunting and living area to live..

That's a good return. I'm contemplating several acres now but they are in the teens/per, for a house. Price is astronomical because location is unreal. If it doesn't go through I will look again at cheaper stuff further out, only for hunting.

is there anything I could realistically do on 3-4 acres to supplement income without it being more time than it's worth? Tilled currently, nice fertile land.

16 minutes ago, Core said:

That's a good return. I'm contemplating several acres now but they are in the teens/per, for a house. Price is astronomical because location is unreal. If it doesn't go through I will look again at cheaper stuff further out, only for hunting.

is there anything I could realistically do on 3-4 acres to supplement income without it being more time than it's worth? Tilled currently, nice fertile land.

grow garlic! always brings good price as do certain mushrooms. both are failry easy to grow 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G-Man said:

grow garlic! always brings good price as do certain mushrooms. both are failry easy to grow 

Interesting. Wish I had a couple million bucks, I would buy some land, retire, and dick around on my land for the next few decades.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 8:39 PM, Core said:

Wanted to check price with buddy before posting .

My friend bought 40 acres in Macedon right off 31 for 48k about five years ago. Very good hunting and can build on it ( that was plan of previous owner ).

The access, terrain , and shape make it unsuitable for farming and development, so the apeal and value reflected that, just have to be patient if looking for a “ deal .”

• Like 1