Best Gear that Surprised You

Whats your favorite piece of gear that outperformed your expectations or unexpectedly became essential on your hunts. Anything from stuff you grabbed on clearance to items that punch above their price tag. Something that comes to mind for me was an Allen shooting stick I picked up from Amazon/Walmart for under $10. I wanted to try a Primos one but at $50 I couldnt justify it so I tried the Allen one thinking I could get an idea of how it would help my hunts and upgrade later on. Well two years and many trips later I have yet to feel the need to upgrade and any sit Im on that stick is right there to steady those long shots and has been a game changer in the blind.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Deluxe-Shooters-Staff-Adjustable/dp/B000AU4RTU/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1511919919&sr=1-1&keywords=allen+shooting+stick

• Like 1

Dayquil, got a nasty cold a few days ago, but this stuff got me in the woods this morning for a few hours. To bad it's not a 24 hour fix.

That and I bought a basic camo mask for the bow season. It's just mesh, but has actually helped with the cold and wind during the gun season when combined with my beard.

Edited by ....rob
spelling

I would say the upgrade in bow hunting equipment.  When i went from a bow with no sights, finger shooting  to a bow with pins and a release.  Made me even more accurrate than i thought it would.  One piece of gear would be the range finder.  I range three spots around me in the stand that stick out and are similiar, to know ahead when a deer comes in for a good base on the distance.  Usually try to pick 3 - 30 yard spots in  a semi circle.  Cause usually dont have time to range a deer itself but it sure is good to know when the deer come in and the adrenaline is going to have a distance in mind.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

A pair of $20 smartwool socks. Based on how nice they are I’ll probably pick up the $25 or was it $30 pair of their heaviest sock for the real cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dropped the $30 and my feet were freezing in my 1600 gram boots. I have plenty of room too

Mora knives.  There are better knives out there for sure, but for $10-$15 you can get a very decent knife.  You can't beat the price on these, I don't know how they can make and sell them for such a low price.  One doesn't expect much for $10-$15, but these surpassed my expectations.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNWD40/ref=asc_df_B004TNWD405285658/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B004TNWD40&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167125219398&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13695458885436598036&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004064&hvtargid=pla-313102807340

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Mora knives.  There are better knives out there for sure, but for $10-$15 you can get a very decent knife.  You can't beat the price on these, I don't know how they can make and sell them for such a low price.  One doesn't expect much for $10-$15, but these surpassed my expectations.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNWD40/ref=asc_df_B004TNWD405285658/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B004TNWD40&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167125219398&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13695458885436598036&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004064&hvtargid=pla-313102807340

Mora are the deal of the century as far as knives go.

4 minutes ago, steve863 said:

LOL!!  This is especially good for the trophy hunters.  They won't soil their pants when that big buck comes into range.  LOL

That's right and when coupled with a set of carbon fiber long johns or "base layer" there is no stink that comes out. I even made a hat out of one and cut eye holes in it so my breath doesn't contaminate the area.