Best Gear that Surprised You

3 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i have one and i will not lie. it's sat on the shelf with other hunting gear for years.  i have yet to use it.  seems like i really need to.

Insert and twist maybe 180 degrees   Slowly pull out 8-10 "  Ziptie  And quick cut of membrane off the plug.   That part was always the biggest "pain in the azz"  See what I did there ^_^

another thumbs up for the handmuff and umbrella

• Like 2

I would have to say the Redfield Revolution scope. I bought the 3-9x40 with the accu-range when they first came back. I thought for $110 I would give it a shot, low expectations for the scope but it has held up and is pretty clear up there with the VXII (Redfield is made by Leupold). Now you can't touch them for under $200, I wish I had bought 2. :banghead:

• Like 1

i have many pieces of gear that are always with me during certain parts of the season.  ones that have surprised me the most are a few things. started carrying scott naturals flushable wipes since i've become a dad.  i use those things in warmer parts of season, after gutting game, cleaning off gear, etc.  friggin things come in handy. 

cheap $5 Lansky folding pocket knives (3"? blade). they're sharp little suckers and i've processed a whole deer with them when needed. they were a limited run and done deal. like a cheap pair of sunglasses i can't seem to lose the things. still have all 3 kicking around with my gear probably a decade later.

slogan outdoors ultraflex rifle slings.  seemed simple and effective when the owner Curt Hann pitched them to me but i love the things. only sling on all my guns now. some guy is even trying to steal the design and sell a knockoff at the similar price. versatile, made in the USA, and no matter what guarantee. still i have the mag version on my 13+lb varmint rifle and i carry it all over. has just enough give that it doesn't wear you out and beat you up.  regular version on my other guns. straps can be split to work like a pack. with your arm it can stretch to fit and brace for off hand shots.  not expensive at all. just a "gimmick" i thought i'd try.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

slogan outdoors ultraflex rifle slings.  seemed simple and effective when the owner Curt Hann pitched them to me but i love the things. only sling on all my guns now. some guy is even trying to steal the design and sell a knockoff at the similar price. versatile, made in the USA, and no matter what guarantee. still i have the mag version on my 13+lb varmint rifle and i carry it all over. has just enough give that it doesn't wear you out and beat you up.  regular version on my other guns. straps can be split to work like a pack. with your arm it can stretch to fit and brace for off hand shots.  not expensive at all. just a "gimmick" i thought i'd try.

I never had heard of that but after looking I thin I will try them. 

I lost the rope-pulley draw device for my crossbow after killing a buck with it in the late afternoon on a Friday.  I had planned on hunting the following Saturday and Sunday to work on my DMP's.  I managed to draw the 150 pound entry-level model freehand on Saturday morning, but it was tough on the tendons of my fingers.  Once was enough of that for me.  Sunday morning, I took about 15 minutes to make up a couple pull handles using a few links of chain, a couple steel grab hooks, hinge pins, and some duct tape.     

These "field-expedient" handles are much faster and simpler to use than the factory rope-pulley device.   A second shot from a treestand might be doable with them.   Maybe I can try that tomorrow, where I have a hot spot that is only 300 feet from some neighbor's buildings.  The crossbow is legal in that situation (250 ft setback requirement) but firearms are not (500 ft setback required).    A double with the crossbow would be cool.  

Love my ultrefires. Awesome for the price. One in each car and each pack

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So “Mrs Clause” ordered them from amazon and they arrived today- they no longer come with the batteries... Wtf? Now I have a Stocking stuffer request too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

FANATIC OUTDOORS HAMMOCK SEAT

My only complaint is the plastic buckle on the strap. If you're a "lard a$$ like me and you can't make an extra wrap of the tree trunk, it isn't up to the task. I replaced mine with a strap that has a metal cam-lock buckle.

Edited by wildcat junkie

On 11/29/2017 at 11:51 AM, dbHunterNY said:

i have one and i will not lie. it's sat on the shelf with other hunting gear for years.  i have yet to use it.  seems like i really need to.

I have the butt hole out just as fast using one or not. Either way you still have to cut around it, the few times I tried mine it just tore leaving feces in the cavity. I haven't used it since. When I first learned how to gut a deer my dad had me tie off the hole and pull it through but that isn't necessary either, just cut around it then pull it out with the guts. With bucks I just pull nuts and all back up through the pelvic and out with the guts.

Edited by chas0218

The best money i ever spent (well my wife paid, early xmas gift) were the purchase of those Baffin boots. I hunted in 19 degree weather this past weekend and all i had on my feet were a thin pair of dress socks and those boots. They were not only warm but very comfortable, simply amazing. Its amazing that when your feet are extremely warm and you dress correctly ( lots of layers), how much more enjoyable /tolerable your time is on stand. I will continue to use my rubber boots in the early season and the Baffins will definitely be my go to late season/ cold weather boot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYBowhunter said:

The best money i ever spent (well my wife paid, early xmas gift) were the purchase of those Baffin boots. I hunted in 19 degree weather this past weekend and all i had on my feet were a thin pair of dress socks and those boots. They were not only warm but very comfortable, simply amazing. Its amazing that when your feet are extremely warm and you dress correctly ( lots of layers), how much more enjoyable /tolerable your time is on stand. I will continue to use my rubber boots in the early season and the Baffins will definitely be my go to late season/ cold weather boot. 

Based upon people's comments in the forum, I ordered a pair of Baffin Selkirk boots last week. Only cost $133. It's crazy how cheap gear costs almost as much as quality gear. The key is to know which one to buy. I look forward to using them.

• Like 1

Which Baffin did you end up with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Based upon people's comments in the forum, I ordered a pair of Baffin Selkirk boots last week. Only cost $133. It's crazy how cheap gear costs almost as much as quality gear. The key is to know which one to buy. I look forward to using them.

Cheap gear  often costs more as you replace it more often .

Crappyice , looks like that light takes a 18,650 battery .

Buy two and the charger , go to Battery Junction web site for the best batt/light/ chargers .

They also have cr123 's for a buck,each , I bought two 50 packs . Ten year shelf life , and I give some away to,co,workers.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad