Pennsylvania Deer Hunt 2017

Lawdwaz

Here's a picture of my buck.....................

Yea, I didn't get one. 

Saw a bunch but not the right one.  Yesterday (opening day) I saw 20 deer; 4 buck and 16 doe.  A half rack crotch horn for sure and three others at about 325 yards late in the day.  If I was sure one of those three were legal I would have taken a poke as I had a great rest.  Also, I saw a DANDY bear at about 200 yards.  I put the cross hairs on him when he paused to look my way, oh I could have dusted him!

It was a long day staring into the sun.......

Today I only hunted till 10:30am, there was a pretty stiff breeze and once again the sun was brutal.  I only planned on hunting that long as I had to get back to the real world.  Right off the bat I had a flock (no kidding) of 10 deer bust out into a field about 300 yards above me.  There HAD to be a buck in there but nope, all Kojak's.  :)

Around 8:30am a buck that looked exactly like he could have been the 4pt (crotch horn) buck that the Pennsylvania Game Commission used in their syllabus to describe what NOT to shoot as it would be illegal!  Try as I could I couldn't put a brow tine on him.

Around 10:15am I heard some shooting from the north west of me and it sounded like they had a buck on the run.  After about 20-30 seconds I started glassing up on top in the direction the shots came from.  All of a sudden I spot a set of white antlers on top of a deer going to the south.  NOW a guy starts to put some lead in the air; I watched and on his fourth or fifth shot down the buck went. 

Those guys drive all but the first couple and last couple hours each day and although they are hunting the same property I do, I have no voice in the matter.  It fries my ass when they push out the areas I'm hoping to catch a buck sneaking out of or sit right straight up the hill above the lane I'm watching.  In my opinion it is a dangerous practice and I think they are doing it just to get under my skin.  Yea, it worked.

I've had a pretty good run there over the years, I don't know exactly but maybe 8-10 bucks over time.....

All in all it was probably the best 1.5 days ever in PA for me as far as deer seen and a bonus bear. Oh and a bald eagle too!

Could have been my last year there, who knows.

• Like 4