ELK in NY

nybuckboy

Would you like to see an Elk herd in NY and where do you think it would be best.  Adirondack and surrounding low lands or Catskills.  It has worked well in PA for nearly 100 years and it appears the southern border does rarely get a few coming over.   Could it work in NY?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I sure would love to hear the bulls scream as the sun comes up some morning...

Did an elk bowhunt in CO a few years back, hearing that in the morning was amazing ... we're actually planning a trip back there next year, I can't wait!

• Like 1

prob wouldnt work in NY only becuase its NY.  Cuomo was just pushing for more ECO's to come to NYC to stop littering in the subway.  Dont think Elk will ever make the budget. 

7 hours ago, ....rob said:

Neither!

We have a growing Moose population, so lets try to expand that and get a season! Lets focus on what we have and not put the horse in front of the wagon anymore!

and i agree on the moose. They prob have a better chance.  The focus should be on reviving the adirondack wildlife and doing some cutting and controlled burns to make food sources for deer, bear and moose.  Do have to say NY has made a success on bringing back turkeys over the years.   

Elk are grazers and the area of the southern tier was looked at by Rocky mountain elk foundation years ago. The effect on farmers and multiple land owners would be expensive in damages caused. I don't see it happening with out a true game department ..to much political bs in nys

• Like 4

Elk are grazers and the area of the southern tier was looked at by Rocky mountain elk foundation years ago. The effect on farmers and multiple land owners would be expensive in damages caused. I don't see it happening with out a true game department ..to much political bs in nys
Having grown up with the reintroduction of elk in PA you're completely right. The game commission has had to put in food plots to help them expand, they don't do well in deep woods settings. They're also more destructive than domestic cattle, farmers/landowners with fruit trees have had major issues with the elk here. I enjoy seeing them as much as the next guy but ideally they wouldn't have brought them back. Just my opinion.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Sure, but we wouldn’t get to hunt. Even in PA or KY, the odds of drawing a tag are astronomical

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How bout it. I've been putting in for an elk tag for 10 years now. Haven't been drawn, same can be said for family members/friends. A couple have been doing since the hunt started are completely maxed out in points and still nothing..makes you end up going out west where you can buy the license over the counter.

How bout it. I've been putting in for an elk tag for 10 years now. Haven't been drawn, same can be said for family members/friends. A couple have been doing since the hunt started are completely maxed out in points and still nothing..makes you end up going out west where you can buy the license over the counter.

Yup. But if you ever draw in P.A. you will shoot a Booner!

10 hours ago, zoschag08 said:

I applied for Maine moose tags for many years....So  did lots of other guys that I know....To this day I don't know anybody who ever drew a tag, and the odds of drawing a Maine moose tag are MUCH higher than those of drawing a PA elk tag...

If you want to hunt elk, quit wasting your time applying for a PA tag and go out west and hunt elk......The experience will be much better than shooting a half tame  bull  in somebody's back yard in Benezet, PA...

• Like 2

I applied for Maine moose tags for many years....So  did lots of other guys that I know....To this day I don't know anybody who ever drew a tag, and the odds of drawing a Maine moose tag are MUCH higher than those of drawing a PA elk tag...
If you want to hunt elk, quit wasting your time applying for a PA tag and go out west and hunt elk......The experience will be much better than shooting a half tame  bull  in somebody's back yard in Benezet, PA...
Believe me I know. Grew up there, have walked into bow range many of times on the big bulls. Just would like a chance at them since I grew up with them.

• Like 1

I would be all for it. In my opinion they are the most majestic animal in the North America. I go to Colorado every October to hunt them and let me tell you there is not a tougher hunt to go on. If we ever did get a elk herd I would be long gone before we had numbers to hunt them but I would just like to watch and take photos of them.

Would be nice to see them in the adirondacks but unfortunately I don’t think it would be possible. Like a few others mentioned already about the grazing problems. The Adirondacks dont have the pastures like they do out west. Not to mention most farms in NY are relatively small in size, making any crop damage a big hit to them vs a 30 thousand acre ranch in Montana. Elk need to much graze land that we just don’t have. If the state cleared some big areas out there could be a possibility of it but I don’t see that ever happening. They are some awesome animals though, I need to get back out west on a hunt soon.

• Like 1

But it’s only $7 bucks!

• Like 1

My buddy drew a Maine tag for the best area, first season, first try. Killed a big bull in fifteen minutes. He's unbelievable, wins at least one gun every raffle. I once saw him win three of the first four!
  • Like 1

My buddy drew a Maine tag for the best area, first season, first try. Killed a big bull in fifteen minutes. He's unbelievable, wins at least one gun every raffle. I once saw him win three of the first four!
What was the are he tried to draw?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk