Went all Nocturnal on me

OldNewbie

4 minutes ago, OldNewbie said:

Pulled a camera card and found deer visited plenty over the last few days. Here are the times:

6:06 PM, 6:12 PM, 6:20 PM, 7:17 PM, 10:18 PM, 12:38 AM, 1:56 AM, and 4:06 AM.

Ugh I give up

If it ever gets cold again they should get up to feed (energy to stay warm) for a little stroll   Are you close to their bedding areas at all ? 2nd rut ? Every day farther into gun season I see less and less   Only takes a second to change that though

• Like 1

We bow hunted hard nov 6th to the 15th  before gun  and I pulled my cards saturday afternoon of opening day and all my photos were at night from the 15 th on..the warm season we  had didn’t help too..

Edited by rob-c

I feel you, it has been extremely frustrating for me the past couple weekends. My last sit of bow season I saw 9 doe and three bucks. Chasing like crazy. Had a nice tall 8 at 20 yards that I would have shot in an instant. I decided that was the place I would sit opening morning of gun. I had one button buck come out of the golden rod at 10:05. Sat nine hours that day. That's the only deer I have seen all gun season. Deer runs that look like cow paths all throughout that property. And I haven't seen a single deer since. My goal was to shoot two wall hangers this year. But I have decided that this weekend I'm just going to go out and enjoy it. If it happens, it happens. If not, I've had a pretty good season and I'm ready for a break until next year. 

Where I am in 8G and 8H the rut was very late.. I shot a 4.5 to 5.5 year old buck this past Sunday morning 7:15-7:30ish a few minutes after some does came by.. He was sniffing around...  I also had Tink's estrous out and he came from downwind of my estrous.... keep up with your scent regiment and how you get in and out of your stand is my recommendation

• Like 1

Less hunting pressure over the last week. Not many people will be out this weekend. Most have either got one or gave up however warmer weather does get a few more people out in the woods. I find late season better cause more natural deer movement however warm weather won't help. If your cam is near your stand they got you patterned. Move a little closer to bedding area and you will get one. Based on your times I would not hunt till evening. The deer are there if your getting pics. Hang in there. 

1 hour ago, JaredA WNY8G said:

Where I am in 8G and 8H the rut was very late.. I shot a 4.5 to 5.5 year old buck this past Sunday morning 7:15-7:30ish a few minutes after some does came by.. He was sniffing around...  I also had Tink's estrous out and he came from downwind of my estrous.... keep up with your scent regiment and how you get in and out of your stand is my recommendation

I think I'm going to try the estrus this weekend. I'll trail it behind me through the bushes then hang a few cotton balls in a line perpendicular with the wind through the bedding area. I will be set up in an open spot in the middle but on the edge, with plenty of room to shoot. Sounds like an unbeatable plan! Thanks for the inspiration Jared!  

• Like 1

Looks like a nice cold front coming in the end of next week to wrap up SZ gun season.  Let the deer relax from all the pressure, then schwack one when the chilly temps get them moving.  

For me, I'm also switching to xbow for some sits to hunt them in a few hidey spots close to houses.  Saw one nice doe, but she stayed just outside my range.  The bucks can't be too far away.

2 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Looks like a nice cold front coming in the end of next week to wrap up SZ gun season.  Let the deer relax from all the pressure, then schwack one when the chilly temps get them moving.  

For me, I'm also switching to xbow for some sits to hunt them in a few hidey spots close to houses.  Saw one nice doe, but she stayed just outside my range.  The bucks can't be too far away.

I shot a buck this past sunday on a 5 acre property behind a row of houses. Get er done!

• Like 1