couldn't resist this 742 BDL for $350

Think I did okay on this one.  Serial number goes back to 1976.  It was an original owner estate sale gun at a local shop.  30-06.  Seems lightly handled, although the ejector port dustcover cover is cracked.  If anyone knows how to install that without removing the barrel to take the entire bolt out, please tell me.  I ordered up a Redfield Revolution 3-9 for it.  

IMG_6492.jpg

IMG_6491.jpg

IMG_6490.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, eagle rider said:

Think I did okay on this one.  Serial number goes back to 1976.  It was an original owner estate sale gun at a local shop.  30-06.  Seems lightly handled, although the ejector port dustcover cover is cracked.  If anyone knows how to install that without removing the barrel to take the entire bolt out, please tell me.  I ordered up a Redfield Revolution 3-9 for it.  

I'm not exactly sure what the problem you are describing here is, but can the gun fire and eject a spent shell?   I don't know if $350 was a good deal if the gun may need to have the barrel removed?  That's going to cost some money if you need to take it to a gunsmith.

• Like 1

To replace the dust cover you have to take the bolt out after removing the barrel, while it sounds like a daunting task it is really is not as long as you have some basic gunsmithing tools and it appears that you do. I have done a couple of complete takedowns back when I worked in a gun shop to do a thorough cleaning on them. You tube has videos for step by step disassembly that will make things easy for you if you want to do it yourself, just have a uncluttered work area and take your time.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Those guns are very popular in the Dacks  and in eastern Canada....I hunted as a guest out of an Adirondack camp in the early 1980s...Of the 20 rifles in camp , there were only 2 bolt actions, My Ruger 77 in .270 and a Win M70 carbine in 30-06...Nearly all the other rifles were Remmy pumps and autos, mostly in 30-06 and .308 with a couple of levers and a Ruger .44 auto thrown in for good measure..

I have a number of friends in Ontario and New Brunswick, and the Rem 740s and 742s are very popular there in deer and moose camps, again usually in .308 or 30-06...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, airedale said:

To replace the dust cover you have to take the bolt out after removing the barrel, while it sounds like a daunting task it is really is not as long as you have some basic gunsmithing tools and it appears that you do. I have done a couple of complete takedowns back when I worked in a gun shop to do a thorough cleaning on them. You tube has videos for step by step disassembly that will make things easy for you if you want to do it yourself, just have a uncluttered work area and take your time.

Al

It doesn't seem so difficult to tear the entire gun down to a stripped receiver.  Am I mistaken on that?

11 hours ago, eagle rider said:

It doesn't seem so difficult to tear the entire gun down to a stripped receiver.  Am I mistaken on that?

Anytime you take apart a gun for the first time there will be some apprehension because all is unknown, the Remington 742s may seem complicated but are not that hard to break down as long as you have the tools to do it in my opinion especially if one follows some of the well produced you tube videos that should be available online.

I have a bunch of gunsmithing books that have been pretty much relegated to the back burner since I discovered how much better these you tube videos are for gun repair or just about anything else one wants to do one their own.  As the old saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words but in my opinion a good video is so much better.

My computer is in my gun room-man cave, I just bring up the best video I can find and follow their instructions step by step stopping the video  for each step that I have to do, get that done and then moving forward to the next step. For me and the guns I have messed around with using this method everything has worked out perfectly and so much better than trying to do the same from a book.

Even though I am now 69 years old and spent a lot of time in my life tinkering with firearms I am not too proud to say the last three firearms I took down and did some custom work and parts replacement on were done watching videos produced by two little girls from Texas, "The Collier Gun Girls" they are not even teenagers yet but their own videos and the ones they did for custom parts supplier "Tandemkross" are so well done that takedowns and installation of parts was a breeze!

Look up some 742 takedown videos and watch them and you should be able to figure out if you are comfortable tackling the job. 

Good luck to you on what ever you decide.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1