Passed on an invite for a drive

BowmanMike

47 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

If you cant friggin fill your doe tags without putting on a drive then you do not belong in the woods

What if someone is having trouble filling tags but not interested in driving deer? Is he or she still permitted to be in the woods trying? Asking for a friend.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

If you cant friggin fill your doe tags without putting on a drive then you do not belong in the woods

It's not my cup of tea, but it's quite an effective tactic in certain situations.

New to the board? Try not being so judgmental. At least not right out of the gate. Life's better that way.

1 hour ago, cbyzerman said:

Drives are for posers and lazy hunters.  Sorry, I know I am offending people here but do not care............

51 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

oh please. If you're 2 weeks into gun there isn't anything wrong with a good ole drive. If that's the only way you hunt? maybe. 

at 16 I killed my first deer on a drive after siting a few times without luck. Put a few on for my 80 year old grandpa and disabled uncle who didn't have deer. I bet a picture of their mounts on the wall would put you to shame.

• Like 3

If you think about it a lot of deer get shot between 9-11 and 1-3. Why you ask, people are coming and going from the woods. They bump deer and send them your way on the stand. I may be reaching a bit with this scenario but think about it, the walking hunter is "driving" deer to you.

• Like 1

Prior to about 5 years ago, our typical routine would be...

Stand Hunting the first 5 days of gun only and then the remainder of the season, we would Stand Hunt til 9 am, Drives the middle of the day and then Stand Hunt the Evening.

Just like any type of Hunting, I had Success and Failures. It broke up the monotony of sitting all day and also provided action when daylight activity was minimal. We have decided not to do drives anymore because we feel the Negatives outweigh the Benefits in regards to disturbing the Deer and pushing them off the Property. There are all kinds of Tactics for Hunting, no one way is better than another, it is a personal preference. I moved to Virginia about 20 years ago and they run Dogs, trust me that was something that was hard for me to adjust to. As time passed and I have started to understand the Heritage of Running Dogs for Deer and the Club Mentality, I have embraced it. It's not my choice for pursuing Deer however, I participate in the comradery and it's a nice change of pace late in the season when I have already put in hundreds of hours on stand.  

Merica, where we have the Freedom to choose! Don't Hate on others choices!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

You are arrogant. I've killed 2 of the 4 does we killed so far. We have a bunch of tags remaining. I doubt we will fill them. There were 9 deer in broad daylight across the road laughing at me yesterday. There are 1400 acres surrounding me that are either off limits to hunting, or the owners do not kill does. DEC gives out plenty of extra permits to those of us with ag damage but it does little good.

The does here are more wary than the bucks. I had 4 year and a half bucks in sight at one time while Xbow hunting just before rifle season, but no does.

I will try to move some deer for the family next week in a slow hunt coming in and around from upwind of the bedding areas. I don't consider it a drive, just moving deer.

Edited by Curmudgeon
typo
  • Like 1

A typical drive day.. Up at 5am.. Hunters arrive by 6am maps wind direction numbers of standers and drivers needed for each drive and people volentiering for each...lot of deer killed by drivers more than standers usually.. Locations given to standers an. Hour or so given for them to get to stand sites. Another hour walk for pushers to get into position. 20 min more to let things set me down.. Drivemaster moves pushers in unison to how land needs to be pushed and pace to push at.. Shooting. Begins.. Pushers exit under standers.. Deer are then tracked or taken care of.. We get back to cabin by 1130 1200 if we are lucky.. Eat .. Nap and back out for 2nd drive of the day ..finish in the dark removing deer taken.. 

Its a lot of planning and coordination as Well as knowing escape routes.lay of land when to speed up and slow down.. To keep deer from doubling back as well as everyone knowing and understanding shooting lanes and requirements of standers and pushers.. 

A few members here have been on drives with me.. They are not easy or give me easy deer.. Any Deer taken is celebrated. Young guys are usually exhaused or will never be a driver again by the end of 1st drive..that is unroll the drivers take bigger deer and they realise it's hard work and it can yield rewards..

• Like 2

We do a couple small pushes here and there after Thanksgiving. The last weekend we push hard...I enjoy it... a lot of walking the property that we usually try to leave as undisturbed as possible. I also enjoy the time with my hunting buddies....coming up with the plans etc. And someone almost always puts down a deer....

2 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

You sir win my award for ignorant, jackass and pretty much an example of what is wrong with people these days. I am probably thinking you don't even hunt and are an anti just on here to stir things up.

But if not here is some advise....education is key, actually learn, listen and research. This will help you from not sounding like a dumbass when your mouth opens. Just because it is not your way does not mean it is wrong and your comments show how little you actually know.

• Like 1

I really miss doing drives, successful or not, they were dang near always FUN! until you fall into the swamp, then its only funny for everyone else. lol. I no longer do them, i may help a few good friends push their property if that's what they want. But unless all involved are like minded individuals someone may get upset with certain harvests by the days end.. 

27 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I really miss doing drives, successful or not, they were dang near always FUN! until you fall into the swamp, then its only funny for everyone else. lol. I no longer do them, i may help a few good friends push their property if that's what they want. But unless all involved are like minded individuals someone may get upset with certain harvests by the days end.. 

I was on a drive a couple years ago, we had a foot of snow. I came to a creek about 15 yards across and could not find a way to get over it short of walking 3/4 of a mile or so to the road. Finally said to heck with it and plunged in lol, waste deep. I got out and immediately froze solid. As I'm hobbling in a doe that got back through the drive hopped a fence and stood right in front of me, bang. Last day of the late season. Long story short, drives can be a lot of fun!

• Haha 3

I usually do a couple of drives with 3 or 4 other people,but I have been sitting out since opening day because I got lucky and got a buck and doe. I just don't want my first day back in the woods to be big drive. I have been looking forward to still hunting with a muzzleloader in my hand instead of a bow,a little easier this way. I want to go find where the deer hang out now. 

The 300 acres I hunt should be well rested by then,except for trespassers maybe. 

You will hear all about it of course...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, First-light said:

If you think about it a lot of deer get shot between 9-11 and 1-3. Why you ask, people are coming and going from the woods. They bump deer and send them your way on the stand. I may be reaching a bit with this scenario but think about it, the walking hunter is "driving" deer to you.

Right on the money.  Deer react to pressure and the smart hunter takes advantage of it.  

I have no interest in an organized drive myself, but don't begrudge those who use legal tactics different from my own to include drives.  As long as hunters are safe, who cares?

I have never been involved in a "big" drive. However I have been involved with drives for the past 24 years. Like others, it is with guys I have hunted with my whole life. Might have 2 drivers and 3 watchers coordinated so we know where everyone is at. We have had some success but like others, its more about getting together with the guys and having a good time.

5 hours ago, cbyzerman said:

Yea I was part of plenty of drives when my grandfather and father and uncles use to make us kids drive every sat.  Didnt think it was right then....

Listen... before this gets any worse...cut him a bit of slack...his above statement tells the story behind his attitude...just let it go....:rolleyes:

Edited by growalot

5 hours ago, First-light said:

i talk to my uncles and dad who are all in their 60's about this. back in the day a lot less guys treestand hunted and gear wasn't as good so guys didn't hunt as long. This allowed those that were hanging in a tree to benefit from the movers who weren't intentionally driving them.

now a lot of guys are educated and all sit in trees tapping on their phones with no deer to be seen lol.

• Like 3

i havne't done many like g-man layed out. Mine are typical small groups under 10 lasting under a few hours from prep to completion. Just a good time in general. Only downside I see sometimes is brown its down and some bb's and other small doe's killed as watchers are typically just looking to kill something lol. 

Yea true maybe my statement was ignorant but my big problem with party group drives is the trespassing.  It is a big problem on our land and these groups of people ( multiple) just feel like they could push any property they want.  I know someone is gonna say then call the cops.  There is not much the cops could do.  By the time they get there they are gone and trespassing is a garbage fine anyway where these group of people do not care.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Yea true maybe my statement was ignorant but my big problem with party group drives is the trespassing.  It is a big problem on our land and these groups of people ( multiple) just feel like they could push any property they want.  I know someone is gonna say then call the cops.  There is not much the cops could do.  By the time they get there they are gone and trespassing is a garbage fine anyway where these group of people do not care.

you don't get to backtrack bub. You didn't say anything about trespassing in your first post. 

• Like 6

My group of lazy drivers would  walk over 5 miles a day with about ten pounds of mud on each boot . I still blame my hip,issue today on those drives .

No skill at all in knowing where all those deer " who disappeared " are bedded and having guys , in a woods 1/2 mile away , behind a specific tree those deer will run right to .

I used to enjoy seeing another group set up all wrong for a drive , and slip into a spot they should be covering  .

Oh and welcome to,the forum , nice introduction .......

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, erussell said:

Love drivers and people on 4 wheelers.  Killed  alot of deer from both.  Dont even have to be with them lol. I use to wait for the neighbors to drive to there stands and the shoot the deer they chase off there property. It was fun. 

One neighbor next to a property I hunt never walks into his stand before 8 am and he does it right down the middle of his big golden road/. berry bush field. I can't even tell you the number of deer we have shot over the years at about 8:02 AM...lol

• Like 3