Passed on an invite for a drive

BowmanMike

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, cbyzerman said:

Drives are for posers and lazy hunters.  Sorry, I know I am offending people here but do not care............

Oh yeah?  Come drive like we do in the Big Woods.  Start in the morning, three hours and a few miles later run into the watchers.

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

One neighbor next to a property I hunt never walks into his stand before 8 am and he does it right down the middle of his big golden road/. berry bush field. I can't even tell you the number of deer we have shot over the years at about 8:02 AM...lol

Lol how pissed do you think that guy was? See a bunch off flags running off then the firing opens up. 

51 minutes ago, Renegade Hunter said:

Lol how pissed do you think that guy was? See a bunch off flags running off then the firing opens up. 

It happens every year and he doesn't change. We see him head into the field and know it only a matter of minutes.  He strolls in slowly and when the deer come by us they are just in the "let me sneak out of here around this guy" mode. 

• Like 1

I was raised on the deer drive. Def not my first choice but late gun I don't mind a slow walk. Love filling dmps and getting some exercise. I DO NOT push my main spots. Usually just the local farms that have already had pressure. I will say this though, they work. Sometimes it's the only way you can get that mature nocturnal buck on his feet for a shot, or the pile of does waiting for dusk to come out and feed. If I never did a drive again I wouldn't be dissapointed but years like this where my dad only has 1 doe and we rely on meat, I'm going through the thickets to increase his odds !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It happens every year and he doesn't change. We see him head into the field and know it only a matter of minutes.  He strolls in slowly and when the deer come by us they are just in the "let me sneak out of here around this guy" mode. 

we have the same neighbors. afraid of the dark i think. they walk in well past 7 and i have a couple nice bucks to thank. they know it too but don't change. fine by me :)

• Like 1

Its nothing short of a miracle that I can even sit in the woods this weekend.  My hunting buddies have made it so I can get to a blind or watch and they come and get me by walking to me. If they bump some deer nobody will complain. 

I hate to tell all of the "drive haters but where we hunt the deer are nocturnal. VERY nocturnal and skittish as all hell. You could sit every day, til the end of the season, and unless they're bumped, they're sitting tight. 

• Like 2

In the adks driving deer is the way we hunt if the people are there, other wise still hunting next to or towards each other kills most of our bucks! And if anyone thinks driving deer is for lazy hunters I'll beg to differ, many miles of pure exhaustion that doesn't end when the buck dies it's alot of work!

Edited by Trigger518
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 8:27 AM, cbyzerman said:

Drives are for posers and lazy hunters.  Sorry, I know I am offending people here but do not care............

Says the guy who sits in a tree stand and has to use a trail cam to locate deer. Come with me and drive a patch of the adirondacks... after we find your ass later in the day wandering around in a sweaty panic and crying because you've never seen any woods farther than 100 yards from your tree you might feel a bit differently. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/2/2017 at 9:50 PM, upstate said:

I hate to tell all of the "drive haters but where we hunt the deer are nocturnal. VERY nocturnal and skittish as all hell. You could sit every day, til the end of the season, and unless they're bumped, they're sitting tight. 

I am not on the drive hater side of this, i think that's a small group. I will state that groups that do nothing but drive, and drive constantly (in the southern zone anyhow), would get my undies all bunchy. 

50 minutes ago, Belo said:

I am not on the drive hater side of this, i think that's a small group. I will state that groups that do nothing but drive, and drive constantly (in the southern zone anyhow), would get my undies all bunchy. 

You better believe it, I live on the southern tier I couldn't believe the amount of pushing they do. My father and I have pushed deer to each other on our property in 8F but usually don't need to with deer still moving during daylight hours all thru gun season.

Once you push a property and do it every year every weekend deer become a custom to it and vacate the property quickly once they just hear something that sounds like a human and their normal travel routes are gone.

I don’t know enough people to do drives. But typically late in gun season. I’ll do 1/2 circles around my dad or vice versa- actually killed more bucks walking than sitting. It’s more of a still hunt I guess. I take a few steps look around and listen, then continue. A 1/4 mile walk is over an hour at this pace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lazy....no. "Skilled method" maybe not, but it's effective especially late season when deer are hunkered down. We hunted a farm and strictly drove as the Tennant's used to shoot deer 24/7 and they were nocturnal all season. I will bet you I have punched 20 tags over the years on a simple 200 yard drive. Also have sent 20 to my dad on same drive. Are they my proudest deer ? No. Did I fill the freezer, yes. There's also something to be said when I drive to dad and hear the shot... Kinda like job well done. Plenty of good memories from drives as well.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

"Skilled method" maybe not, but it's effective especially late season when deer are hunkered down.

I think about anyone can get deer up and running in the later part of the season. Understanding where they will go, heading them off  and putting them there so they aren't running at mach 3 is the trick. Nothing and I mean nothing is less predictable than having a mature buck in a drive you are doing. I have seen them do everything they aren't suppose to do to get through you. The biggest one I ever shot on a drive laid right there behind a log and let me walk right by him. Luckily I had snow but if I hadn't turned 90 degrees to go around a blowdown and saw him laying there out of the corner of my eye, I think he would have let me disappear and never gotten up. I shot that one where he was layign and 20 yards.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Lazy....no. "Skilled method" maybe not, but it's effective especially late season when deer are hunkered down. We hunted a farm and strictly drove as the Tennant's used to shoot deer 24/7 and they were nocturnal all season. I will bet you I have punched 20 tags over the years on a simple 200 yard drive. Also have sent 20 to my dad on same drive. Are they my proudest deer ? No. Did I fill the freezer, yes. There's also something to be said when I drive to dad and hear the shot... Kinda like job well done. Plenty of good memories from drives as well.

If you're doing it right there is absolutely a skill to it... being able to move deer so that they are not just flying by the watchers is an art... then the idea of wind direction also comes into play as well as placing watcher in strategic places to intercept deer... and doing all that in a way that is safe for everyone. I understand how you might think it is unskilled however based on some of the deer drives I have witnessed over the years :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I think about anyone can get deer up and running in the later part of the season. Understanding where they will go, heading them off  and putting them there so they aren't running at mach 3 is the trick. Nothing and I mean nothing is less predictable than having a mature buck in a drive you are doing. I have seen them do everything they aren't suppose to do to get through you. The biggest one I ever shot on a drive laid right there behind a log and let me walk right by him. Luckily I had snow but if I hadn't turned 90 degrees to go around a blowdown and saw him laying there out of the corner of my eye, I think he would have let me disappear and never gotten up. I shot that one where he was layign and 20 yards.  

Funny how you mentioned the mature buck thing... I personally think that driving deer is the least effective way to kill a mature buck. I know it happens, but in my experience all the extra movement and human scent present just in the setting up process of a drive alerts most mature bucks long before the drive even begins... meaning he usually sneaks out of Dodge long before the posse shows up.

I think you guys are misunderstanding my verbage. I was starting that the fact is drivers aren't LAZY. If there was something to be said about it is the fact it's not scouting, or food plots, or playing the wind or waiting patiently through a rain storm... It's setup here, walk here. Not as many skills needed to push through some thick stuff as someone trying to arrow a mature buck. If you look through the posts, I'm a pro drive guy, not an anti !

On 12/5/2017 at 8:35 AM, Belo said:

I believe that ones idea of driving is very different. 

When I was in my 20's we would line up and walk, making noises, barking, etc.  Then one day while on watch, with 3 other guys overlooking a ravine full of the thickest, nastiest brush, vines and other crap we watched numerous mature bucks slip away from drivers. Some a mere few feet from a driver. Every one circled back, through the drive. 

Fast forward to where we connect with a family of hunters who's idea of a drive was to line up and still hunt. Every driver's responsibility was to make sure that you were in a line, not getting out front.  You walked, slow, real slow. You stopped, you glassed. You were on full alert.  It took hours (on a cold day, watchers were frozen if unprepared). 

You know what? It worked. Deer moved in a way we wanted because they did not know where to go.  

After opening week, very few adult deer would be on their feet during the day. Most of our success outside these "drives" were catching deer laying down, in the overgrown fields. Muzzle was fun due to second rut.  

My $.02 

Edited by upstate

we have been stand sitting all year.  This saturday will be a push more than a drive .  4 guys.... 2 in stands, 1 pusher (me) and a loophole guy for those that might try to sneak out the back .  Will go up deer trails in brush about 50-60 yards and get deer moving to setters on the other side of property in stands.  A guy will go with me and look down a 90 degree trail from where i go in in case they make a hard left.  Shotguns only.  And its my buddies B day so hope I push one to him.  Real safe and controlled and we never get too close.  And the watchers are in stands and can only shoot downward to ground from the trail they are on.  We look forward to it for sure cause otherwise havent seen much during gun at all.  Plus its like a year end tradition.  We dont touch the bedding areas til then.  

and not a fan of big drives with lots of people they make me too nervous but def look forward to the push we do.  The one guy in stand its his B day and the other guy is a 17 year old and wont get to hunt next year cause he is headed to Paris island to become a Marine.  Me and his Dad are hoping he gets one for sure .