Passed on an invite for a drive

BowmanMike

Im just curious as to the mindset of people walking through areas that they dont know if other guys are hunting, or dont care?  Starting a drive knowing that you may totally screw up a guy whos sitting in a spot just seems a bit selfish. I am not talking about the adirondacks or big woods areas here. Im mostly talking about the public land parcels here in the southern zone. The drivers here absolutely know they will totally screw someones spot up. Before someone says it. Yes, they may push deer towards the hunter inadvertantly. However, they dont even know where these standers are. A drive having true safety should be one that knows where the drivers and standers will be. Just seems dangerous to me. Im not saying illegal. Public land and its your right. Just seems  unsafe and rude to roll the dice if you'll screw someone up or not. This year my son and I had a ground blind set up watching a swamp. Orange on top of the blind and clearly visible. I hear noise behind us. Look back and see a guy  20 yds behind us leaning against a tree. I wave to him, he waves back. Clearly not leaving though. I walk over. Hes very nice and informs me his friends are pushing this way through swamp. Says were in a good spot.  To say i was pissed off was an understatement. This was opening day to boot of my sons first rifle hunt. Well, they all meet up right in front of my blind, them move off past us. No deer seen. Talk about loss of confidence in your spot after that. We left. Not illegal but selfish.

56 minutes ago, Bannock-pt. said:

Im just curious as to the mindset of people walking through areas that they dont know if other guys are hunting, or dont care?  Starting a drive knowing that you may totally screw up a guy whos sitting in a spot just seems a bit selfish. I am not talking about the adirondacks or big woods areas here. Im mostly talking about the public land parcels here in the southern zone. The drivers here absolutely know they will totally screw someones spot up. Before someone says it. Yes, they may push deer towards the hunter inadvertantly. However, they dont even know where these standers are. A drive having true safety should be one that knows where the drivers and standers will be. Just seems dangerous to me. Im not saying illegal. Public land and its your right. Just seems  unsafe and rude to roll the dice if you'll screw someone up or not. This year my son and I had a ground blind set up watching a swamp. Orange on top of the blind and clearly visible. I hear noise behind us. Look back and see a guy  20 yds behind us leaning against a tree. I wave to him, he waves back. Clearly not leaving though. I walk over. Hes very nice and informs me his friends are pushing this way through swamp. Says were in a good spot.  To say i was pissed off was an understatement. This was opening day to boot of my sons first rifle hunt. Well, they all meet up right in front of my blind, them move off past us. No deer seen. Talk about loss of confidence in your spot after that. We left. Not illegal but selfish.

I had a spot on state land down off the end of a small swamp at the end of a pond. I would always make sure to be there opening morning as I knew this group from up north would be driving the side of the pond to me. Id be up in a climber and killed a couple deer thanks to them. I would also stay put for a good while after they moved on to the next piece as I would see deer pop out after them as well. If you don't want to see people on state land on opening day you best be hiking way way in the nastiest places. Nature of the beast, I learned to use it. Unfortunately some of the woods that piece got some fungus and the state clear cut it. Screwed it all up.

On 12/6/2017 at 9:09 AM, Robhuntandfish said:

we have been stand sitting all year.  This saturday will be a push more than a drive .  4 guys.... 2 in stands, 1 pusher (me) and a loophole guy for those that might try to sneak out the back .  Will go up deer trails in brush about 50-60 yards and get deer moving to setters on the other side of property in stands.  A guy will go with me and look down a 90 degree trail from where i go in in case they make a hard left.  Shotguns only.  And its my buddies B day so hope I push one to him.  Real safe and controlled and we never get too close.  And the watchers are in stands and can only shoot downward to ground from the trail they are on.  We look forward to it for sure cause otherwise havent seen much during gun at all.  Plus its like a year end tradition.  We dont touch the bedding areas til then.  

and not a fan of big drives with lots of people they make me too nervous but def look forward to the push we do.  The one guy in stand its his B day and the other guy is a 17 year old and wont get to hunt next year cause he is headed to Paris island to become a Marine.  Me and his Dad are hoping he gets one for sure .  

Wish birthday boy the best and hopefully the young man going to Paris island gets one too. Best of luck to you all. Smaller drives like that are my favorite however large drives with lots of people gets the blood flowing especially when the shooting starts.  Love all types of hunting including alone.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 5:16 PM, nyantler said:

Funny how you mentioned the mature buck thing... I personally think that driving deer is the least effective way to kill a mature buck. I know it happens, but in my experience all the extra movement and human scent present just in the setting up process of a drive alerts most mature bucks long before the drive even begins... meaning he usually sneaks out of Dodge long before the posse shows up.

In terms of mature bucks I have seen more shot on the set up than the actual drives. Just as you describe they sneak out. I've seen the drivers shoot them while waiting to start the drive because they were pumped out by the watchers going in. ON two swamp drives we use to do we always left a guy back where the drivers started. That was a great spot too for the bucks that slid between and headed back through, (many times with their back to the wind.)

• Like 2