Duck/calls

Dom

My Dad was an avid duck hunter I just was searching an old box of his things and found a really old call.Trying to get some Ducks to respond but not sure how to use this call,It is a P.S.OLT PEKIN,ILLS.This is driving me crazy doesn't sound like any Duck that I have heard 

What sound does it make, and what ducks are you trying to call with it? Screeches and whistles are generally made by open-water (lake) ducks , and are completely different from the sounds that puddle ducks make.

If it's an older call it's also possible that it's no longer making the sound that was intended. I have calls that my grandfather used in the 40's and 50's  which are keepsakes and heirlooms, but they can't be used to call ducks any more.

• Like 1

I used to do a lot of calling  at ducks..,.. I learned from a "tape, and watched some shows on t.v.".. ...Now, there's Youtube and you may get the hang of it by watching some videos... You can learn the hand movements also.

I have about 20 duck calls, and they all sound different and some require blowing into them different, and using different hand movements.. Out of those calls there were usually 2 calls that I used for puddle ducks, the others stayed home, or on my lanyard . So you may have to play around with that call until you get a sound that you like...I have a couple of them that no matter how hard I try I can't get a sound that I like.. I don't know if the ducks cared, but I did so I didn't use them..

As far as the ducks sitting on the pond, I wouldn't expect too much of  a response from them. You can coax them in at times if they decide to swim over. It sure is better to try that if you have a few decoys out.I used to do that mostly by low kind of drawn out quacks, and maybe a little chatter.

Calling to flying ducks over decoys is the best way to get them in(my opinion), and the most fun ..

Try different tactics.. Someone once told me that "Everything works, just not all of the time"...

I'm not much for hunting ducks I hear/been told its a lot of fun.I just was messing around with the call I am amazed that it being 70+years old it still works.This one was made some time between 1941-56 it is a keyhole call

• Like 1

I have fun just calling things sometimes and not shooting.  I like"messing around" with my calls also

I have some old calls that work like new..In fact, I have 3 Olt crow calls, 2 of which I bought in the mid 60's and both sound exactly as they did when I bought them. I still use one of them at times..

PS Olt D-2's are popular and even fetch good money $100+ for the vintage ones. The one your blowing into probably needs to be tuned badly. They also don't blow like a normal
Single reed duck call, more back pressure is needed to run them. There's places that you can send the old one to get the guts replaced and tuned up. Just do an online search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dgram36 said:

PS Olt D-2's are popular and even fetch good money $100+ for the vintage ones. The one your blowing into probably needs to be tuned badly. They also don't blow like a normal
Single reed duck call, more back pressure is needed to run them. There's places that you can send the old one to get the guts replaced and tuned up. Just do an online search.

What would be to tuning this call only 4 parts?Knowing what I have is original would rather not send to anyone to possibly not get my call back.Every thing looks new but old could be the cork holding the reed is dried out reed is not bent nor damaged.

It's possible the reed is not in the right position on the tone board to make the correct sound. It's also very likely that the cork will be so dry that if you move it it will be damaged. You can buy the reeds and the cork online and keep the original as a template, then trim the new one. I would probably just practice more before I bothered with thats. It might be perfectly tuned and you just don't know how to use it yet. Anyone who's ever tuned a duck call can tell you that those four parts you have there can frustrate you to the point of throwing it in the lake. That's why some people just send there's back to the manufacturer for reed replacement and tuning every couple years.