6.5 Creedmoor vs 308

Chef

ARe you dead set on the ar10? Not exactly sure what your specific application is going to be with the rifle. But I have a 6.8 spc and it’s a great deer round. It will fit right on the ar 15 platform. It’s nice because you can also get a 556 upper for plinking with cheap ammo. 

ARe you dead set on the ar10? Not exactly sure what your specific application is going to be with the rifle. But I have a 6.8 spc and it’s a great deer round. It will fit right on the ar 15 platform. It’s nice because you can also get a 556 upper for plinking with cheap ammo. 

Sorry but I want the 10 already have more then one 15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both solid choices. What will you be targeting most with it? I've read good things about the 6.5 Creedmore. But I have no personal experience with it myself. Many more here with much more knowledge than I, who will chime in I'm sure. But want to wish you best of luck with your new AR-10! 

What do plan to use it for ?    If you want to hunt deer with it in NY, I can see no advantage of the 6.5 over the .308  out to 300 yards, except for somewhat lighter recoil, which shouldn't be a big issue with a semi..  If you plan to shoot at longer ranges than 300 yards, the 6.5 begins to  have some ballistic advantages...

Both solid choices. What will you be targeting most with it? I've read good things about the 6.5 Creedmore. But I have no personal experience with it myself. Many more here with much more knowledge than I, who will chime in I'm sure. But want to wish you best of luck with your new AR-10! 

I’m thinking it will be a back up deer gun, maybe coyotes..... and a target gun to have fun with. I already have a bolt action in 308 so that would be one less round to store but the 6.5 seems like it would be allot of fun to shoot at long range

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

About a buck a shot for both 6.5 Cmor and 7mm-08 in the cheap stuff. Usually plinking isn't what you do with a AR10.

Before un-SAFE Act, I would have politely disagreed.  :pleasantry:

• Like 1

Hey Chefhunter86 congrats on your new AR10 6.5 Creedmoor, I will be interested in hearing your evaluation of the cartridge after you wring it out and get some experience with it.

The 6.5 caliber long in the shadows for many years has come to the forefront because of the long range target shooting crowd (mainly in 6.5-284 Norma) , a darling of long range target shooting competitors because of mild recoil, super accurate bullets with high sectional density and coefficients that consistently keep it in the winner's circle.

The Creedmoor case developed by Hornady was specifically designed as a long target application using all the tricks of the trade to be the the most efficient and accurate as possible. It has been proven under fire in competition and it's record speaks for itself as the top contender in long range shooting and today almost every major manufacturer and custom gun makers chamber long range target rifles.

Such a performance record did not go unnoticed by hunters and the manufacturers soon started producing sporting rifles chambered in the Creedmoor  along with a full line of ammo loaded with top notch hunting bullets. For the short time it has been around it has a lot of backers and I see it is constantly referred to as possibly the finest and balanced all around Deer cartridge ever developed which is certainly open for debate. 

Even though it is a pretty good bet that the Creedmoor is going to end up as being maybe the most winning long range cartridge ever developed do those same accolades transfer over as a hunting cartridge? Personally I think for hunting Deer that accuracy edge the Creedmoor may have would be of little bearing in the field on an actual hunt. To say with similarly constructed bullets of equal quality that it would kill better than a 260 remington, a 7mm 08 Remington or a 308 would be a stretch. All things being equal I do not think one could go wrong with any of these short case cartridges for Deer hunting, that being said I have to say on paper that 6.5 Creedmoor looks awful good. 

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Hey Chefhunter86 congrats on your new AR10 6.5 Creedmoor, I will be interested in hearing your evaluation of the cartridge after you wring it out and get some experience with it.
The 6.5 caliber long in the shadows for many years has come to the forefront because of the long range target shooting crowd (mainly in 6.5-284 Norma) , a darling of long range target shooting competitors because of mild recoil, super accurate bullets with high sectional density and coefficients that consistently keep it in the winner's circle.
The Creedmoor case developed by Hornady was specifically designed as a long target application using all the tricks of the trade to be the the most efficient and accurate as possible. It has been proven under fire in competition and it's record speaks for itself as the top contender in long range shooting and today almost every major manufacturer and custom gun makers chamber long range target rifles.
Such a performance record did not go unnoticed by hunters and the manufacturers soon started producing sporting rifles chambered in the Creedmoor  along with a full line of ammo loaded with top notch hunting bullets. For the short time it has been around it has a lot of backers and I see it is constantly referred to as possibly the finest and balanced all around Deer cartridge ever developed which is certainly open for debate. 
Even though it is a pretty good bet that the Creedmoor is going to end up as being maybe the most winning long range cartridge ever developed do those same accolades transfer over as a hunting cartridge? Personally I think for hunting Deer that accuracy edge the Creedmoor may have would be of little bearing in the field on an actual hunt. To say with similarly constructed bullets of equal quality that it would kill better than a 260 remington, a 7mm 08 Remington or a 308 would be a stretch. All things being equal I do not think one could go wrong with any of these short case cartridges for Deer hunting, that being said I have to say on paper that 6.5 Creedmoor looks awful good. 
Al

That was a awesome post, thank you. You sir for sure know your stuff

On 12/1/2017 at 9:00 PM, chefhunter86 said:

I’m thinking it will be a back up deer gun, maybe coyotes..... and a target gun to have fun with. I already have a bolt action in 308 so that would be one less round to store but the 6.5 seems like it would be allot of fun to shoot at long range

Given your dual purpose  use, I would go with the 6.5 due to the availability of light weight .264 bullets with superior ballistic coefficient compared to the .308..

If you drop below 150 gr in the .308 bullet you will get a rainbow trajectory beyond 200yds.

A 95 gr .264 V-max has a BC of .365, still respectable.

A 135 gr .308 V-max has a BC of .290. That will lose velocity fast and be more susceptible to wind drift.

For long range target work, a 140gr BTHP match bullet in .264 will have a BC of .580 or better.

You would have to go to a .308 bullet in the 200 gr weight range for that BC value.

In a nut shell, the 6.5 will be far more capable at long range yet still have plenty of snot for any North American hoofed game. Worldwide, there have been more moose killed with the 6.5x55 Swede than any other cartridge.

• Like 3