New to me Springfield

BigVal

1 hour ago, grampy said:

You just can't beat some of those old classics for looks and performance! This one is a true beauty!  What caliber is it? Will you mount some glass on it? 

Thanks grampy I agree! 

This is a 30-06 and I've been deciding if I will or not, I normally ready would have but also I like having another rifle with open sights other than my 30-30. We'll see. If I do it will likely be something simple fixed power. 

Edited by BigVal
  • Like 1

You have yourself a military 03 Springfield that has been sporterized, the stock has been shaped to a sporter style and the military sights have been changed or it has possibly been rebarreled with a sporter barrel and sporting style sights. The 03  is a proven good quality action and many a custom rifle has been made using them. Congratulations.

Below is a photo of what your rifle pretty much would have looked like when she was born.

Al

Last29.JPG

1903-springfield-rifle-F.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, airedale said:

You have yourself a military 03 Springfield that has been sporterized, the stock has been shaped to a sporter style and the military sights have been changed or it has possibly been rebarreled with a sporter barrel and sporting style sights. The 03  is a proven good quality action and many a custom rifle has been made using them. Congratulations.

Below is a photo of what your rifle pretty much would have looked like when she was born.

Al

Last29.JPG

1903-springfield-rifle-F.jpg

Thanks for the info Airedale much appreciated. I'm very happy with it and only have the equivalent of 250 bucks in it. 

Moog is right the collector would be looking at one in original condition, but there are plenty of shooters and hunters that have done exactly what has been done to yours and that is sporterize it. 

A bare 03 Springfield action is worth some money on it's own because like Mauser 98 actions they are old time quality not seen much today and folks like using them for the basis of custom rifles.

Yours looks to have been rebarreled with a sporter contour barrel with a sporter front sight installed, I can not identify the rear sight from the picture but it appears to be some sort of receiver sight.  The stock is walnut and although not fancy it appears to been finished well.

Don't know if the trigger has been replaced, the original would have been two stage I think so if you have a single stage trigger (one without a lot of take up and just breaks when pulled) it would not be original.

Hard to put an exact price on it's value but you could not buy anything new close to it's quality for several hundred dollars. Personally I think you have a fine rifle there.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3