Best NY legal crossbow for hunting?

Jdubs

Many brands styles to choose from.I say bank your money and keep searching you sure do not need to make an impulse purchase.Go pick them up hold them and see witch one feels the best to you.You can always change the optics to your eye.Impulse buys have bitten me in the ASS many times the money you put out will not allways give a good return if you decide you don't like the tool /firearm/crossbow

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

That is the best feeling crossbow I have ever fired. Says 15.5 axle to axle.....I would have to look at the regs to see if that was NY legal. Can't remember if it was 15" or 17". Anyway its a great crossbow. I have no idea what the point was with the minimum width other than to just be a PIA. 

I just picked up one of these from a member here. An AWESOME crossbow. I'd highly recommend it.  The adjustable rear stock for length of pull is a great feature to fine tune your sight picture through the scope. The scope is lit in blue or red. I do not have the attached cocking mechanism and don't miss it. 

https://www.killercrossbows.com/products/furious-370-frt-2017-version

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I just picked up one of these from a member here. An AWESOME crossbow. I'd highly recommend it.  The adjustable rear stock for length of pull is a great feature to fine tune your sight picture through the scope. The scope is lit in blue or red. I do not have the attached cocking mechanism and don't miss it. 

This xbow and the Horton RCX both look awesome.  The Horton's 15.5" uncocked width would appear to be disqualified by NY's 17" minimum for hunting.   However, the KI's width is good at 17.5" plus that Furious platform comes with a Hawke XB30 scope, definite ahort list material!

2 hours ago, Dom said:

Many brands styles to choose from.I say bank your money and keep searching you sure do not need to make an impulse purchase.Go pick them up hold them and see witch one feels the best to you.You can always change the optics to your eye.Impulse buys have bitten me in the ASS many times the money you put out will not allways give a good return if you decide you don't like the tool /firearm/crossbow

Thanks Dom.  I'm pretty methodical in how I go about purchases like this.  Internet is useful for creating a short list, but I will definitely be handling some before plunking down any money.  Good replies so far are definitely helping out.  The Jackal was actually a gift for my stepson who ultimately decided not to hunt afterall.  

2 hours ago, ApexerER said:

That is the best feeling crossbow I have ever fired. Says 15.5 axle to axle.....I would have to look at the regs to see if that was NY legal. Can't remember if it was 15" or 17". Anyway its a great crossbow. I have no idea what the point was with the minimum width other than to just be a PIA. 

Its 17, but its limb tip to limb tip that counts in NY, not axle to axle.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Looks like Cabela's is blowing this model out (the only KI xbow on their site) for only $419.88.  I said I wasn't going to buy one without handling it first, but damn!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/crossbows-accessories/crossbows/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/333154080/i/103854780/killer-instinct-furious-frt-crossbow-package/2485597.uts?slotId=0

Wait until spring to buy a new Xbow. New hunting equipment premiers at the Shot Show (??) in Feb and previous year's models typically go on sale in Mar-May timeframe.

Just to satisfy my curiosity .... Those of you that have purchased an entry level or budget Xbow AND then had to upgrade the scope - What was your total expenditure? After doing this, doesn't the difference ($$) between that and the purchase of a better Xbow not seem so overwhelming, budget-wise? One of the scenarios I looked at when I was buying a Xbow.

JMO, but I think the technology for Xbows has sort of max'ed out right now. Clearly, Belo was instigating the Xbow debate with the air-Xbow photo. :pleasantry: Current trend seems to be maintaining same performance (fps/Ke) while reducing draw weight. Improvements in cam and limb material & design seem to be the highlight of newer Xbows. As a hunter & a consumer, at some point you have to ask yourself is the upgrade from ~340 to 400+fps worth the additional $$ or will it be a more efficient Xbow for killing deer within 40yrds with a single shot...!??! It is NOT exponential, meaning a $1500 Xbow does NOT give 3X better performance than a $500 model. IMHO, you'd see a jump in Xbow quality in the ~$8-900 range as opposed to the sub-$500 models. Deja-vu, sounds like advice for buying/upgrading a compound bow.... Right back atcha, Belo. lol

Everyone has different criteria or expectations from hunting with or purchasing a Xbow, so "to each, their own"!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Looks like Cabela's is blowing this model out (the only KI xbow on their site) for only $419.88.  I said I wasn't going to buy one without handling it first, but damn!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/archery/crossbows-accessories/crossbows/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/333154080/i/103854780/killer-instinct-furious-frt-crossbow-package/2485597.uts?slotId=0

great price. You wouldn't be disappointed. 

8 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Wait until spring to buy a new Xbow. New hunting equipment premiers at the Shot Show (??) in Feb and previous year's models typically go on sale in Mar-May timeframe.

Just to satisfy my curiosity .... Those of you that have purchased an entry level or budget Xbow AND then had to upgrade the scope - What was your total expenditure? After doing this, doesn't the difference ($$) between that and the purchase of a better Xbow not seem so overwhelming, budget-wise? One of the scenarios I looked at when I was buying a Xbow.

JMO, but I think the technology for Xbows has sort of max'ed out right now. Clearly, Belo was instigating the Xbow debate with the air-Xbow photo. :pleasantry: Current trend seems to be maintaining same performance (fps/Ke) while reducing draw weight. Improvements in cam and limb material & design seem to be the highlight of newer Xbows. As a hunter & a consumer, at some point you have to ask yourself is the upgrade from ~340 to 400+fps worth the additional $$ or will it be a more efficient Xbow for killing deer within 40yrds with a single shot...!??! It is NOT exponential, meaning a $1500 Xbow does NOT give 3X better performance than a $500 model. IMHO, you'd see a jump in Xbow quality in the ~$8-900 range as opposed to the sub-$500 models. Deja-vu, sounds like advice for buying/upgrading a compound bow.... Right back atcha, Belo. lol

Everyone has different criteria or expectations from hunting with or purchasing a Xbow, so "to each, their own"!

The biggest difference I have seen on the more expensive models over the cheaper ones is the sound. I have notice a marked difference with the more expensive being quieter. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

The scope is the only part of my Centerpoint Sniper that I dont like. Im actually thinking next season I will buy the Horton Storm RDX and pass the Centerpoint to my daughter. Ill most likely pick up another scope for it when I do that. When I bought my Centerpoint I wasnt even sure that Id enjoy hunting with it, which is why I went inexpensive. Well, it was purchased for me, but my girlfriend knew what I was interested in.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The scope is the only part of my Centerpoint Sniper that I dont like. Im actually thinking next season I will buy the Horton Storm RDX and pass the Centerpoint to my daughter. Ill most likely pick up another scope for it when I do that. When I bought my Centerpoint I wasnt even sure that Id enjoy hunting with it, which is why I went inexpensive.

I really like my center point for the price and how well it shoots. The scope works well enough for me, but I know it's low end and an upgrade is something I'd consider.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, genesee_mohican said:

I really like my center point for the price and how well it shoots. The scope works well enough for me, but I know it's low end and an upgrade is something I'd consider.

I too like my Centerpoint over my Barnett Raptor.  For roughly the same price the Centerpoint is MUCH better. That being said, the scopes on both are terrible, and need upgrading. Didn't even hunt with crossbow this year, as I wanted to get one more with my compound, and did. But next year, will most likely only hunt with the crossbow. So will be looking to upgrade. This thread has been very helpful, to see what the next level of crossbows offer. Now if full inclusion would get passed!  But that has been debated to death here, and no need to derail this thread.

• Like 1

I simply love my Centerpoint Sniper 370.  The stock is adjustable so it can fit any member of the family.  The arrows that come with it are not the greatest but with the money you save you can buy some something better.  I've killed 3 deer (2 bucks and 1 doe) in the last two years with it. 

On 12/6/2017 at 6:14 AM, rachunter said:

is this legal in NY my friend was interested in getting one.

On 12/6/2017 at 6:14 AM, rachunter said:

is this legal in NY my friend was interested in getting one.

I wonder if I epoxy some crossbow limbs on the airbow does that fit the legal requirements for New York State lol 

• Like 1