Best NY legal crossbow for hunting?

Jdubs

Handled a few xbows at Cabela's today.  Horton Vortex felt the best and it's a bummer that it doesn't meet the NY width reg (so stupid).  Handled the Phantom Carbon and was suprised at the weight (heavier than expected).  Fired the Eclipse RCX and really liked it.  I think this could be the ticket, but at $1100 I'll wait til the new stuff gets introduced in February.

A reverse limb design works best as weight is centered.  I have a Matthews mbx with a Leopold crossbow scope on it. I love. That is your price range.

But I've held some reverse limbs and would prefer that balance.. so my suggestion is try some and see what makes you comfortable.. some x bow are so heavy in front they would only feel.comfortable on the ground in a blind off a rest. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 12:19 PM, JRod said:

My centerpoint sniper 370 outshoots my friend's Wicked Ridge... I can shoot golf-ball sized groups at 40 yards... with no wind, field tips, consistent arrows, etc.. Beyond 40 yards is a tougher shot for me resulting in considerably more spread..

If my budget was $1000, which it wasn't, I would bump up to a high end Ten Point, Excalibur, or a Mission by Mathews... for that price range it should be shooting 375+ fps...  Good luck

One of my hunting buddies has the Centerpoint sniper 370. At it's price point, it is a very good value, imo. Myself, I have a Ten Point Shadow Ultralight from a few years ago. At the time, it was at the edge of my pain threshold, ~$1,100 IIRC. Today, I am sure that there are more choices out there that give comparable or better performance at a comparable or better price (Horton, Wicked Ridge, et al.) OP, good luck with your search.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You don't need to spend a whole lot of money on a crossbow  that is  a $150 

It will kill just as good as any 

You get what you pay for.  I'm not looking for a backyard paper-puncher.  I want a true hunting xbow that handles well in a tree hang-on stand and will reliably kill deer to 40 yds or more in low-light conditions.

The 'Fever' doesn't meet those requirements.  http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/sa-sports-fever-crossbow-review/

16 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

You get what you pay for.  I'm not looking for a backyard paper-puncher.  I want a true hunting xbow that handles well in a tree hang-on stand and will reliably kill deer to 40 yds or more in low-light conditions.

The 'Fever' doesn't meet those requirements.  http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/sa-sports-fever-crossbow-review/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8A4yx0H4h80

I see a dead deer there don't you ?

Btw the expensive ones weight  a ton  that one's actually light  and maneuverable

But it is your money do what you like once you buy one btw your stuck with it you go buy a $1000 crossbow 

It is not a gun they don't hold there value remember  . The deer does not care if you killed it with $150 or $1000 crossbow 

Edited by Storm914

18 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8A4yx0H4h80

I see a dead deer there don't you ?

Btw the expensive ones weight  a ton  that one's actually light  and maneuverable

But it is your money do what you like once you buy one btw your stuck with it you go buy a $1000 crossbow 

It is not a gun they don't hold there value remember  . 

I see a dead deer, but question if that was the hunter's intended shot placement.  Accuracy is important.  Also, we don't have the benefit of hunting over bait at a short distance.

Look, if I wanted an entry-level xbow, then I'd stick with the Jackal.  Already posted that I believe the Jackal is capable of killing deer.  However, with a full season of hunting with the Jackal under my belt, the disadvantages are enough that I want to invest in a quality hunting xbow.

• Like 2

Much like some others pointed out, what did you mean “40yd, minimum”? Bolts lose a lot of kinetic energy so although they can hit paper at great distances I think you will wound many if you push the limits. Many will say 50 yards is a good max range for crossbow. Not saying others have not killed at longer distances but If you want consistent good kills you would be wise to keep it under 50. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

I see a dead deer, but question if that was the hunter's intended shot placement.  Accuracy is important.  Also, we don't have the benefit of hunting over bait at a short distance.

Look, if I wanted an entry-level xbow, then I'd stick with the Jackal.  Already posted that I believe the Jackal is capable of killing deer.  However, with a full season of hunting with the Jackal under my belt, the disadvantages are enough that I want to invest in a quality hunting xbow.

Well if your determined  spend some cash Get one of the  Excalibur recurve   model's if your going to blow $1000

Anything with cams will be a headache for you in the long run when the string goes .

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, JFB said:

Much like some others pointed out, what did you mean “40yd, minimum”? Bolts lose a lot of kinetic energy so although they can hit paper at great distances I think you will wound many if you push the limits. Many will say 50 yards is a good max range for crossbow. Not saying others have not killed at longer distances but If you want consistent good kills you would be wise to keep it under 50. 

I passed up a 40 yd shot on this deer because I didn't trust the Jackal to make a kill shot at that distance.  This was after experiencing problems with a loose screw and loose arrow retention spring.  I'd like an xbow in my hands that gives me 100% confidence to take that shot and make a clean kill. 

STC_0047.JPG

12 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

I passed up a 40 yd shot on this deer because I didn't trust the Jackal to make a kill shot at that distance.  This was after experiencing problems with a loose screw and loose arrow retention spring.  I'd like an xbow in my hands that gives me 100% confidence to take that shot and make a clean kill. 

STC_0047.JPG

Excalibur recurve way to go if you want something that dont break apart on you  like the  matrix .

As for taking a 40 yard shot and having a %100  guarantee that nothing is going to go wrong with a bad shot nothing in hunting is 100% guaranteed and especially bow hunting

A deer can move by the time you arrow gets to it or a little branch can throw off your shot . That is why most archery instructors recommend not taking shots past 30 yards .

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Well if your determined  spend some cash Get one of the  Excalibur recurve   model's if your going to blow $1000

Anything with cams will be a headache for you in the long run when the string goes .

So an Excalibur is the way to go to "blow $1000"?  Odd way to phrase a recommendation.  What does it matter to anyone what I set for a budget?  Silly to take issue with that.  In my experience, money spent on top quality gear has always been money well spent.

Either way, I can see you are solidly in the recurve camp.  Duly noted.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

So an Excalibur is the way to go to "blow $1000"?  Odd way to phrase a recommendation.  What does it matter to anyone what I set for a budget?  Silly to take issue with that.  In my experience, money spent on top quality gear has always been money well spent.

Either way, I can see you are solidly in the recurve camp.  Duly noted.  

I only phrase it that way because they don't hold there value like firearms do .

But yes recurve is my preferred way to go because you don't need a archery place to change the string or have cam  parts that can come loose to worry about I had a compond Barnett crossbow years ago that fell apart on me years ago since then you couldn't pay me to buy a compoud crossbow again .  

So I guess I dont make a good salesman for them huh :taunt:

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I only phrase it that way because they don't hold there value like firearms do .

But yes recurve is my preferred way to go because you don't need a archery place to change the string or have cam  parts that can come loose to worry about I had a compond Barnett crossbow years ago that fell apart on me years ago since then you couldn't pay me to buy a compoud crossbow again .  

So I guess I dont make a good salesman for them huh :taunt:

FWIW, the Cabela's reps were less than enthusiastic about any of the Barnett offerings.  Seems like if there is an xbow brought back with a problem, it's most likely Barnett.  The Ten Point's and Horton's only came back when someone installed a part incorrectly.

6 hours ago, Jdubs said:

FWIW, the Cabela's reps were less than enthusiastic about any of the Barnett offerings.  Seems like if there is an xbow brought back with a problem, it's most likely Barnett.  The Ten Point's and Horton's only came back when someone installed a part incorrectly.

When I'm sure they are going to keep the crossbow season and if they change the regulations of draw weight I'm getting this

MICRO 335

btw Excalibur crossbows come with a lifetime warranty

Edited by Storm914

The stupid NY laws for draw weight and width rule out a lot of solid choices. On the recurve front, Kodabow is as solid as they come. It's built like a tank, and I have never heard anything about limb splintering (think Excalibur) or other issues. Mission makes very good Xbows... some allow for string changeout without pressing. My favorite "hunting" designed Xbow is Camx. Supposedly, they are coming out with a new, quieter model in 2018. Some of the current ones (the 330) will likely be available at discounted pricing. I'd be scoping things out after the upcoming ATA show.

21 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

The stupid NY laws for draw weight and width rule out a lot of solid choices. On the recurve front, Kodabow is as solid as they come. It's built like a tank, and I have never heard anything about limb splintering (think Excalibur) or other issues. Mission makes very good Xbows... some allow for string changeout without pressing. My favorite "hunting" designed Xbow is Camx. Supposedly, they are coming out with a new, quieter model in 2018. Some of the current ones (the 330) will likely be available at discounted pricing. I'd be scoping things out after the upcoming ATA show.

If they want to limit something do it by fps or foot pounds of energy   rating makes more sense. Because recurves and compounds don't shoot the same speeds with the same draw weight . It leaves recurves at a disadvantage . even though they're more reliable. It is a bs rule 

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

If they want to limit something do it by fps or foot pounds of energy   rating makes more sense. Because recurves and compounds don't shoot the same speeds with the same draw weight . It leaves recurves at a disadvantage . even though they're more reliable. It is a bs rule 

Why put limits on any of them?  For example, limb width has nothing to do with completing a successful xbow kill.  All it does is arbitrarily restrict what tools a hunter can use.  Let the free market do its job.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Why would you think that? Just take it to a shop that services crossbows and have it replaced. Its not a big deal. Same as a compound bow.

Costs $$$ and time if it happens during hunting season when they're busy good luck getting it fixed anytime soon .

Edited by Storm914

4 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Why put limits on any of them?  For example, limb width has nothing to do with completing a successful xbow kill.  All it does is arbitrarily restrict what tools a hunter can use.  Let the free market do its job.

Yes limb width is another limit that makes no sense .

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Costs $$$ and time if it happens during hunting season when they're busy good luck getting it fixed anytime soon .

Depending on where you are, its not really that big of a deal. Thats why I buy bows from local dealers, or brands where dealers are close by, so that the chances of getting them repaired quickly are better.

Better yet, get a bow press and learn to swap strings yourself, its not rocket science.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Depending on where you are, its not really that big of a deal. Thats why I buy bows from local dealers, or brands where dealers are close by, so that the chances of getting them repaired quickly are better.

Better yet, get a bow press and learn to swap strings yourself, its not rocket science.

That's why I like the idea of a  recurve crossbow  better less to go wrong and easier to fix yourself when it does.

Where I'm at the pro shop they want $120  just to change a string . And they never want to do it  that day it is always leave it and we will call you when its, ready  . 

5 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Buy whatever Xbow you like regardless of Ny laws. First when they open it for full inclusion they will be open for any Xbow and Second you will most likely never meet an officer or be checked on your Xbow. Friends have been stopped and checked for paperwork and never asked to look at or test any bows.  Dont imagine there is a big push to write tickets for that but possible i guess.