Best NY legal crossbow for hunting?

Jdubs

53 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Buy whatever Xbow you like regardless of Ny laws. First when they open it for full inclusion they will be open for any Xbow and Second you will most likely never meet an officer or be checked on your Xbow. Friends have been stopped and checked for paperwork and never asked to look at or test any bows.  Dont imagine there is a big push to write tickets for that but possible i guess.

I was more concerned about my deer harvest and/or xbow being confiscated.  Is there a specific penalty listed in the regs for hunting with an xbow that doesn't fit inside the parameters?

Edited by Jdubs
typo

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Depending on where you are, its not really that big of a deal. Thats why I buy bows from local dealers, or brands where dealers are close by, so that the chances of getting them repaired quickly are better.

Better yet, get a bow press and learn to swap strings yourself, its not rocket science.

DIY forum on Archery talk has plans for a bow press from hardware store parts. Cheap and effective. 

• Like 1

Personally I wish  they  just had  2 seasons one for gun 

And the other for any single shot form of  primtive weapon . From muzzle loaders to high powered airguns to 

Any type of spear or arrow  shooting weapon  that can generate the limit of at least  35 ib of  draw weight.  As long as it can generate enough Force to kill a deer it should be legal if it was up to me .

But that is  probably not going to happen  Any time  soon  I don't think .

Edited by Storm914

Guess I'm just an old fart. I do not pick and choose what laws to obey. As much as I detest these stupid NY regs, I will comply with them until they change. It would be just my luck to be the one hunter checked and have illegal equipment confiscated. No thanks.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2017 at 3:39 PM, Jdubs said:

typo on my part.  *confiscate xbow and/or deer harvest

Any DEC (hunting) violation, depending on severity, comes with the possibility of losing weapon, harvested game, even vehicle, potential loss of hunting privileges, your attorney fees and the fine & court fee. These cases are primarily heard in town courts and those judges are reliant on the ECO's interpretation of your violation and possible penalties. As a defendant you hardly stand a chance w/o an attorney! Just saying, have no 1st hand experience, other than what I've read about similar cases.

Lets hope in 2018 when Xbow legislation is re-introduced, the NYS elected officials don't show that they have no clue about Xbows, again!!!

Edited by nyslowhand

18 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Any DEC (hunting) violation, depending on severity, comes with the possibility of losing weapon, harvested game, even vehicle, potential loss of hunting privileges, your attorney fees and the fine & court fee. These cases are primarily heard in town courts and those judges are reliant on the ECO's interpretation of your violation and possible penalties. As a defendant you hardly stand a chance w/o an attorney! Just saying, have no 1st hand experience, other than what I've read about similar cases.

Lets hope in 2018 when Xbow legislation is re-introduced, the NYS elected officials don't show that they have no clue about Xbows, again!!!

I will not be going out and buying a high end  expensive crossbow until I know for sure crossbows are here to stay and the season and rules are set in stone .  There is a lot of cool stuff out there for sure 

I wouldn't say it's the best, but I'm very satisfied with my ghost 410. Nice trigger,super fast, can easily group to 80+ (furthest I care to shoot). I got it for about half retail, other than that I prob would have went with something else if I had to pay the 1000+ msrp.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This topic got me started, I didn't own a xbow until yesterday! I've been interested in 1 for a while. I did some research on line, talked to friends who hunt w/ xbows and combined with my self imposed budget, I bought a used PSE Fang 350 X7. Under $200 shipped to my house. I will need to get a scope ( it doesn't have 1), bolts and whatever misc. accessories needed. I can't wait to set it up and start shooting! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 12:07 PM, WNYBuckHunter said:

Are you sure about the Horton Storm RDX being legal?  The website says it is 15.5 axle to axle uncocked...  I would have bought it on sale this week but didn't because I thought it had to be 17 end to end...

9 minutes ago, vcollaco said:

Are you sure about the Horton Storm RDX being legal?  The website says it is 15.5 axle to axle uncocked...  I would have bought it on sale this week but didn't because I thought it had to be 17 end to end...

From the shop I talked to about it, they said it was. I have not measured it myself though. All it needs is 3/4" per side wider than the axles, which is possible.

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Minimum limb width: 17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)

Thanks for clearing that up.  That is right up there with the PA chest girth chart for handy info from this site.   I just checked my Barnett Recruit which measures 17-1/16" tip to tip.    All three bucks I hit with it moved less than 40 yards after taking the bolts. These were the only shots that I have taken at deer with it, from ranges of 59, 15, and 30 yards.    I would say I have got my $ 250 worth.      It is not perfect though, because prior to shooting it at a deer, I missed a grouse.      

On 12/27/2017 at 6:02 PM, Jdubs said:

You get what you pay for.  I'm not looking for a backyard paper-puncher.  I want a true hunting xbow that handles well in a tree hang-on stand and will reliably kill deer to 40 yds or more in low-light conditions.

The 'Fever' doesn't meet those requirements.  http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/sa-sports-fever-crossbow-review/

I am surprised that the bolts didn't pass all the way through that cheap styrafoam target . 

• 1 month later...