Wife said let's do it.....

Single_shot

.....lets move north to the cabin, quit our jobs, sell the house and just enjoy some off grid life. So I says to myself, self , you have the best woman in the world , do it before she changes her mind :) . We sold the house and will close on ~21 Dec 17 ! We are going to stay at the sons house until sometime in March before we move north. I do have a couple questions though for the forums users.

When I get there in the spring, when , how/where do I change my DL address, do I have to take a drivers test all over? How long do I have to live there to get resident status for my hunting license etc. I have been in Pa. for 53 years and I am clueless to what I need to do with these things. I will be going to the local Post office for address change etc.

With both mortgages paid off and some other CC bills paid off I will have enough left over for a garage and a full size backhoe and a 14x16 addition on the cabin for a sweet eat in kitchen.

As far as income, I will be doing everything I can to get in to Lowes or Home Depot in the spring. I don't need to make a ton of money nor do I want 40+ hrs a week and I want to do something I actually enjoy doing. I have been delivering concrete for 25 years and quite frankly it gets worse every year. No more CDL.

I have 2 properties that border each other and was told that I can combine the 2 properties once I pay the NY mortgage (in house loan) off and this will save me tax dollars by doing so. I can call the nice lady in Oswego that takes care of this stuff for help on this topic. But I am wondering , has anyone actually combined property and did you actually save money by doing so?

Well, as always, thank you for any and all help.

• Like 4

Can't answer your questions, but will be following the thread.

I did the opposite. I kept a 7 acre parcel on which we built a house, and the adjoining 79 acres separate to avoid the whole property being taxed as a dwelling. The 7 is currently classed as a family residence and the 79 is vacant land. 

I figured I was ahead this way, but maybe not?

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I guess this is good bye then ?

Yes, good bye Pa. and hello NY! We bought the NY properties 7 years ago and had a cabin built, which was shell only and then we finished it off, had a contractor put a driveway in, built a large shed for the toys etc. We have a walk in shower and facilities like everyone else. We use gas for lighting, fridge cooking etc. I will be adding a 12v system and solar.

• Like 1

Between military moving and going out to Arizona for a short time, I had to change licenses and addresses also. You just have to go to the dmv and apply for a NYS license. Won’t have to do a drivers test. But a written exam. They will take your old license. Bring a proof of your ny adress. Piece of mail with your name and adress on it. Believe that should do it. And I’m not positive, but I think you have to be a resident for 6 months before you can get a NY hunting license. 

Definitely don't combine the two properties. Like mentioned above, one will be taxed as vacant land which will be a much lower tax rate than if you combine the two and taxed as a dwelling.   

Your moving into NY, and I can't wait to get the hell out of here. 

Good luck, oh we need pictures of the cabin.  We like pics.  

• Like 5

wow thats amazing.  Good  for you!  And yes DMV will have you surrender PA license and reissue a NY one.  Will need proof of address.  And yes agree - keep properties seperate if you can - would think taxes on something undeveloped will be much less local accessor would prob have the best info on that though.  Best of luck.  Winters in Oswego are serious if you havent been thru a winter there before., you have no idea.  That area gets more snow that most places ---not just in NY- than in the entire world.  Lake effect snow storms of  4+ feet at a time in some cases.  That seems like some hard living to me, but if your up for it , certainly wish you the best!  Your def gonna want that backhoe, and might be able to make some side money clearing snow with it in the area too.  

23 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

wow thats amazing.  Good  for you!  And yes DMV will have you surrender PA license and reissue a NY one.  Will need proof of address.  And yes agree - keep properties seperate if you can - would think taxes on something undeveloped will be much less local accessor would prob have the best info on that though.  Best of luck.  Winters in Oswego are serious if you havent been thru a winter there before., you have no idea.  That area gets more snow that most places ---not just in NY- than in the entire world.  Lake effect snow storms of  4+ feet at a time in some cases.  That seems like some hard living to me, but if your up for it , certainly wish you the best!  Your def gonna want that backhoe, and might be able to make some side money clearing snow with it in the area too.  

Very familiar with the winters there....got stuck at the cabin for a couple days here and there from past winters lol. I will have to see the local tax people or call the lady in Oswego....she has helped out big time in the past with tax issues.

I truly love New York; grew up here and moved back after a short stint elsewhere. Lived here 50+ out of 62 years. Tons of memories made in this state.  Tremendous hunting and fishing opportunities here.

However, my wife and I are seriously thinking we may have to retire somewhere else due to the high property taxes and state income tax. And now with the new tax bill in Congress, our federal taxes will be jumping up several thousand as well. And did you know NY taxes IRA deductions and PA doesn't?  You should get someone to run TurboTax for NY for you to see what you're getting into.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Don't want to rain on your parade, but if you were comfortable in PA, why on earth move to NYS?  

That's just it...we are not happy here. Without going into details, we are ready for change, the kids are gone we aren't getting any younger and want to enjoy the outdoors more...we love our property in NY and don't get to spend enough time there so there is only one way to get that needed time there...live there.

29 minutes ago, OldNewbie said:

I truly love New York; grew up here and moved back after a short stint elsewhere. Lived here 50+ out of 62 years. Tons of memories made in this state.  Tremendous hunting and fishing opportunities here.

However, my wife and I are seriously thinking we may have to retire somewhere else due to the high property taxes and state income tax. And now with the new tax bill in Congress, our federal taxes will be jumping up several thousand as well. And did you know NY taxes IRA deductions and PA doesn't?  You should get someone to run TurboTax for NY for you to see what you're getting into.. 

No IRA here..life insurance and pension.

We really don't plan on living at the cabin till we die...but we would like to give it ~10 years and move back here to a smaller home near town/kids/grandkids/hospitals etc. We need change, it's that time in our lives and we are physically able to do this so we are going to give it a go.

• Like 3

Good for you - Sounds like heaven. Best of luck to you. 

As for the taxes the new Tax bill will be tough on states like NY with high Income and Property taxes but that is why NY needs to vote for better representatives to help reduce that cost. I moved away a few years ago due to work. I miss NY dearly and pay a lot of attention to what happens there. Good Luck with your retirement!!! 

We have 4 contiguous properties all separate... Now here's the thing taxes are based here on building lot available if each parcel of vacant land has a vable building lot... our house and land is one..then acoss the street we have 2 but because they are Conjoined even though deeded separate the town's taxes them as having one building lot between them. With one having a bit high tax on vacant land. The 4th has a no residential or commercial building restriction written into the deed..So they legally can not put a high tax rate on it..

• Like 1

go to the dmv and do a state transfer. they take your old one and give you a new one with whatever privileges and restrictions you have. I've done this both leaving and coming back it's pretty easy. Then when you get your license id # you'll need that AND your safety course certs. Sometimes you can look these up. with those 2 or 3 items if you bowhunt too you'll be set for your license. 

3 hours ago, growalot said:

We have 4 contiguous properties all separate... Now here's the thing taxes are based here on building lot available, if each parcel of vacant land has a viable building lot... our house and land is one..then across the street we have 2. Because they are Conjoined even though deeded separate the town's taxes them as having one building lot between them. With one having a bit higher tax on vacant land. The 4th has a no residential or commercial building restriction written into the deed..So they legally can not put a high tax rate on it..

5 hours ago, Single_shot said:

That's just it...we are not happy here. Without going into details, we are ready for change, the kids are gone we aren't getting any younger and want to enjoy the outdoors more...we love our property in NY and don't get to spend enough time there so there is only one way to get that needed time there...live there.

Thats awesome, i commend you for making your dreams a reality.

4 hours ago, Belo said:

go to the dmv and do a state transfer. they take your old one and give you a new one with whatever privileges and restrictions you have. I've done this both leaving and coming back it's pretty easy. Then when you get your license id # you'll need that AND your safety course certs. Sometimes you can look these up. with those 2 or 3 items if you bowhunt too you'll be set for your license. 

As far as hunting licenses..they already give me archery. The first year I hunted here, I took a PA. Lic. to the place across from Fat Nancy's and my Pa lic had archery and muzzle stamp on it. I told the lady I wanted a super sportsman at the time and Archery was included. So I either got lucky or whatever but I can get Archery there without any courses.

As far as drivers lic I have a CDL now but will change that to a regular before I move north. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Single_shot

As far as hunting licenses..they already give me archery. The first year I hunted here, I took a PA. Lic. to the place across from Fat Nancy's and my Pa lic had archery and muzzle stamp on it. I told the lady I wanted a super sportsman at the time and Archery was included. So I either got lucky or whatever but I can get Archery there without any courses.
As far as drivers lic I have a CDL now but will change that to a regular before I move north. Thanks for the info.

If you’ve had a supersportsman at one point you should be able to show your old license to a clerk/cashier and they can renew it. Your ID doesn’t change.

NY does not check that you’re still a resident, it’s an honesty system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk