What's the difference? Baiting vs. Attracting

Zem18

5 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Negative. First Whitetails are Whitetails regardless what state they are in or state hunters are in. A guy could put all the crap they want out and a deer will still pick and choose what they eat.

We make sure the wildlife have food to eat all winter long in this area. The worst thing for bucks and antler growth is the time between spring and summer when a buck comes out of winter in poor health. It takes them time to get their body back before anything goes to antler growth which in turns makes less antler.

I like the feeding CWD content because that shows you just how fake and messed up CWD really is. They say lets stop deer piss...Which has Never been proved to even carry the CWD prions yet they allow Grains and Hay to be brought into and fed to animals from all the CWD positive states across the country.  CWD has always been and will always be a political disease used by agenda and money drivin 

Im sure there is more then one disease deer can get from each other from  being close to each other besides cwd .

I don't think there is a difference.

Someone that understands food plots can make them just as effective as a bait pile.

I rarely hunt our food plots but my brother does. After I hunt this morning I am going to brushhog a 2 acre corn plot and I would bet a big chunk of money that my brother shoots a doe in it today or tomorrow.

Food plots are planted by hunters to do 2 things keep/draw deer and change natural habits, that is the exact same thing baiting does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't think there is a difference.

Someone that understands food plots can make them just as effective as a bait pile.

I rarely hunt our food plots but my brother does. After I hunt this morning I am going to brushhog a 2 acre corn plot and I would bet a big chunk of money that my brother shoots a doe in it today or tomorrow.

Food plots are planted by hunters to do 2 things keep/draw deer and change natural habits, that is the exact same thing baiting does.

Not being critical, but I think once you bushhog it, it would be considered baiting. Just something to think about.

Edited by wildcat junkie

2 hours ago, erussell said:

Just read a article in field and stream about  cwd. Wyoming cwd is reducing the herd by 10% a yr just in deaths from the disease. They predict  they will in the future have areas that have no whitetails left because of it. 

A place I hunted down near the Ohio River in Southern Indiana got hit hard by EHD in the summer of 1997. Nearly wiped out the deer. I hunted it hard that fall and only saw 1 deer and very few tracks. That was an area that was somewhat overpopulated before the disease took its toll.

Not being critical, but I think once you bushhog it it would be considered baiting. Just something to think about.

Honestly I have no idea however I don't have any idea how? Is it baiting to mow a hayfield or clover plot? Is it baiting to shake an apple tree so a few apples fall? Is it baiting to plant a foot plot and put fence around it until a couple days before you hunt it?

I'm not trying to argue but I can't imagine how it could be?

• Like 1

OK so lets at least look at it this way.

1) Go into a store and buy a bag of deer cain or acorn syrup attractant and ride the 4 wheeler into the woods pour over a stump 20 yds from your stand on the last day of September. - done.

2) Go into a store and buy some lime and seed.  Get on your $15,000 tractor, fill with $15 worth of fuel and drag, harrow or till for hours. Pick out rocks and then walk the tilled area and spread the $200 worth of seed over the 1/2 to 3/4 acre.  Drag the area to cover the seed and wait for months for the seed to take and grow the crop that you have planted. 

OK so lets at least look at it this way.

1) Go into a store and buy a bag of deer cain or acorn syrup attractant and ride the 4 wheeler into the woods pour over a stump 20 yds from your stand on the last day of September. - done.

2) Go into a store and buy some lime and seed.  Get on your $15,000 tractor, fill with $15 worth of fuel and drag, harrow or till for hours. Pick out rocks and then walk the tilled area and spread the $200 worth of seed over the 1/2 to 3/4 acre.  Drag the area to cover the seed and wait for months for the seed to take and grow the crop that you have planted. 

So if I'm understanding it makes it ok because you put in time and money?

Like I said in an earlier post you're still hoping for the same outcome, drawing/keeping deer and changing their natural habits.

Didn't say it's ok either way but it's obviously easier one way than the other. Let's be honest here if you have a rifle it doesn't matter if it's a farm field, food plot Or stump syrup it's easy.  Now with a bow it's much different. As stated by others a 3/4 acre food plot will still be much more difficult to make the kill than syrup dumped over a stump 15 yds from your stand. The law is what it is  some will obey the law to the T and others won't. 

Just read a article in field and stream about  cwd. Wyoming cwd is reducing the herd by 10% a yr just in deaths from the disease. They predict  they will in the future have areas that have no whitetails left because of it. 

Yeah keep believing that crap. They don't even test 10% of the deaths to find CWD. They would have ran out of deer a long time ago if that were the case. About every state that has CWD has a deer over population they have to deal with and are tops in the record books year after year. Ever hear of the Wind Cave elk herd? Fenced in elk that are an 80% CWD positive herd yet they have dropped the fence 3 times and used copters to chase them out into the wild herd because they over populated the fenced in areas? CWD is still doing today what it was 50 years ago. Absolutely Nothing!

So I ask myself, do I really have to go to the store and purchase some chemical concoction to get my deer. Seriously, is that what it takes to call my season successful? Heck if that's the case, I guess I can call going to the supermarket to buy a beef roast, a successful hunt ..... lol. Of course I also ask myself if I really have to go out and turn my deer hunting into an agricultural venture to be a successful deer hunter. Is that really part of hunting ..... a good tractor and some tilling equipment and the best special deer blend of seed that I can buy? I have found out that hunting can actually be done without either of those shortcuts. I guess it is just about where you decide to draw the lines. I suppose I see hunting in a different way than a lot of people. Hey, but then I don't get a whole lot of record book bucks either.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:15 AM, wildcat junkie said:

Not being critical, but I think once you bushhog it, it would be considered baiting. Just something to think about.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:23 AM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Honestly I have no idea however I don't have any idea how? Is it baiting to mow a hayfield or clover plot? Is it baiting to shake an apple tree so a few apples fall? Is it baiting to plant a foot plot and put fence around it until a couple days before you hunt it?

I'm not trying to argue but I can't imagine how it could be?

Just comparing it to the "spilled grain" scenario that is considered baiting for waterfowl. Seems like a "gray area".

normal "waste or spillage" while actually harvesting crops (corn, soy beans, sunflowers, etc) is not considered baiting, neither is leaving said crops standing.

With that said if you go in and just brush hog, or pull corn or soybeans off and pile them up by your hunting location and yes even if you shake the apple tree to artificially put more apples on the ground where you are hunting all can be considered baiting.

I am going to keep this simple. The only difference between baiting and attracting (food plot) is one is piled and the other is planted. I will add 1 more thing one is covered under the conservation law the other is consider agriculture in the end they are both used for the same purpose.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Larry said:

I am going to keep this simple. The only difference between baiting and attracting (food plot) is one is piled and the other is planted. I will add 1 more thing one is covered under the conservation law the other is consider agriculture in the end they are both used for the same purpose.

One other difference is that one is legal in NYS, and the other is not.

In other words, one takes effort. The other doesn't.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

They’re both baiting when you plant a crop. for the sole purpose of attracting and harvesting game animals and have no intention of harvesting that crop for human or domesticated animal consumption then what do you call it. You can’t call it habitat improvement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Larry said:

They’re both baiting when you plant a crop. for the sole purpose of attracting and harvesting game animals and have no intention of harvesting that crop for human or domesticated animal consumption then what do you call it. You can’t call it habitat improvement.

I go to the bank to make a withdrawl, or I go to the bank to rob it.  The end is the same, right?  I get money.  But the methods are different.  That's the difference.

• Like 1

I go to the bank to make a withdrawl, or I go to the bank to rob it.  The end is the same, right?  I get money.  But the methods are different.  That's the difference.
Methods may be different but both men leave with money. The reason they went to the bank in the first place.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk