Gutter Cleaning

fasteddie

I saw an ad on Groupon for Gutter Cleaning for $79 . I called the company which is located in Rochester . Because of the distance we agreed to $100 even . They showed up today and started the work . The guy told me it would be an extra $40 because they had to snake out the two upper down spouts . I wasn't surprised that they needed it as they were not draining much water at all . Plus , I had them cut off a few gutter guards that needed it . So it cost me $140 and my ancient butt did not have to go up on a ladder to do the chore . 

I have approximately 180 - 190 feet of gutter . The down spouts that had to be snaked are each at least 20' long . 

Has anyone ever hired someone to do this ? 

43 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I saw an ad on Groupon for Gutter Cleaning for $79 . I called the company which is located in Rochester . Because of the distance we agreed to $100 even . They showed up today and started the work . The guy told me it would be an extra $40 because they had to snake out the two upper down spouts . I wasn't surprised that they needed it as they were not draining much water at all . Plus , I had them cut off a few gutter guards that needed it . So it cost me $140 and my ancient butt did not have to go up on a ladder to do the chore . 

I have approximately 180 - 190 feet of gutter . The down spouts that had to be snaked are each at least 20' long . 

Has anyone ever hired someone to do this ? 

Hose down the drain pipe with water on clears clogs very well.

• Like 3

Eddie I just had mine done for $60.  By a  co worker , Rochester firefighter . I stopped doing it last year , came home from  hunting and Mike was on my roof finishing  the job .

Pm , me I'll tell him your  a friend . 

He goes on roof, places leaves in a five gallon bucket which he then bags and places in your tote .

Mike flushed out my down spouts as well . Leaf blower just makes a mess on the ground , decks, pools , patios and dont work on second floors lol .

You kinda got hosed , on that price 

I have about 150 feet of gutters .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

You kinda got hosed , on that price

Perhaps! And, Nomad, it sounds like you got a great deal. But at 140 dollars, I guarantee it's still a whole lot cheaper than the emergency room, back surgery, a wheelchair, or funeral.  :  0     Eddie, I would say you made the right choice. 

• Like 2

Did mine this summer. Never again!  Will hire out the job from here on. Just too shaky on a ladder now for two story work. Or even one story work! Not worth what would happen with a slip or a little too much lean. After 60, there are just some things ya shouldn't do anymore! 

• Like 1

Hillbilly , Sure I get that . I cut holes in the roofs of burning buildings for a living , and I pay to have my gutters cleaned for two reasons .

One,  if I fall at work my family and I are covered , and I've come damn close and owe my life to fellow FF a couple times .

Two I'm lazy .

But I can  have his gutters done for  far less .  That job should be less the one  man hour , mines like 30 minutes .

Tons of guys on the job do gutters and Windows , some do 10 or more gutter jobs a day .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input . At 76 years of age I have kinda had it with the top roof . I have a 34' fiberglass ladder and that sucker is heave and a bit difficult to stand up . Years ago my wife thought it would be nice to plant some honey locust trees and some clump birch . Leaves galore !  I can clean and flush the lower gutters but the upper ones are no easy chore . I was able to flush the rear upper gutter a couple months ago but couldn't get the last 9' using a jet wash and a long pole as the downspout was clogged . I figured a way to get the heavy ladder stood up in front but again , the downspout was clogged . The groud slants away from the house so the ladder wants to tip . So , $140 and no broken bones and no hospital visit . 

• Like 1

I have a single story house ,I took a piece of pvc pipe and loose fit a couple 90s on one end with a small piece connected to the second 90. Then I hook it up to my shop vac and vacuum the gutters out ,works really well and the clean up is almost nothing ,just empty the shop vac and maybe hose it out.

• Like 2

I have a single story house ,I took a piece of pvc pipe and loose fit a couple 90s on one end with a small piece connected to the second 90. Then I hook it up to my shop vac and vacuum the gutters out ,works really well and the clean up is almost nothing ,just empty the shop vac and maybe hose it out.

Did this in my last house except with a leaf blower. Wear a hat and crappy coat but it works.

New house uses guards that are doing a good job so far in the 2 falls I’ve been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been doing the gutters at our house on my own. With the new house though, its just too damn big, plus its tucked in the woods, so the gutters will need to be done 2 or 3 times a year. The only plus, is its a gambrel roof, so most of the gutters are at a single story level. Im planning to just hire someone to do it.

7 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I have been doing the gutters at our house on my own. With the new house though, its just too damn big, plus its tucked in the woods, so the gutters will need to be done 2 or 3 times a year. The only plus, is its a gambrel roof, so most of the gutters are at a single story level. Im planning to just hire someone to do it.

I'd be tossing on some of those gutter guards. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'd be tossing on some of those gutter guards. 

I’m thinking about it. There’s some gutter work that I want To get done in the spring so I might Try it on a few sections and see how it works. We asked The people we bought it from to replace all of the downspouts, as they had gotten clogged and bulged so I know It’s an issue. 

A co workers husband has been in the local trauma ICU since Thanksgiving when he fell from the roof his raised ranch style home. He was cleaning his gutters, ended up suffering massive injuries and has LOTS of rehab in front of him.

I don't worry about gutter cleaning any more. All my gutters got ripped off by the ice going off the roof years ago. I suppose one day before one side heads for China and the other towards the sky, I'll replace them. Oh hell, be easier just to sell the place, lol.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

I wear those nitrile gloves they sell at Lowe's and Home Depot, they are like $10/ten pair. (I wear them for gutting deer also.)

I hear you but I was up there to hang the lights when I noticed all the muck in there, and I wasn't making a trip back down the ladder to get gloves I just start scooping like a dummy