late muzzleloader season

rachunter

i'm going to play hooky Friday and head up to my place late Thursday night for the last three days of muzzleloader season. this will be a first for me so I'm going to hunt my property and concentrate on the pond marsh area see if something gives me a shot. i'll be bring my tc inline and cap & ball. hopefully things quitted down and there moving around. after that I have a one day shotgun hunt here on long island.

i am actually looking forward to muzzle this year.  I didnt fill my bow buck tag for the first time in a while - was being too picky- and am hoping to see a buck in muzzle loader.  Took a couple extra days off next week.  Have never gotten a deer withi the muzzleloader , mostly because i am about done by then or dont have a buck tag.  And my muzzleloader is so accurate but I just dont use it that much.  Thought about taking it out for regular gun season a few times but hard to pass on having a second shot.    And one of the spots i hunt they havent cut the soybeans yet and hoping they dont, those deer late season might be chomping on them even though they arent green anymore. 

I don't have a true food source to hunt I guess
Yeah they get get kinda hungry late season. One season I had about a dozen does walk out with one buck. He walked half way through the field and when it looked like he may have picked up some of my molecules I let him have it at about 95 yards. It's a bean field. But not this year it's all weeds been poisoned for next year. Haven't seen a deer in the field since October

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hunt with the ML most of gun season. Already have one kill with it. Looking forward to some snow and some still hunting. The state lands are already pretty void of hunters so some 10 degree weather will thin out the rest. I have the last 4 days of ML wide open.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'm going to hunt with the CVA percussion rifle my father bought me, I never took a deer with it. I think it would be cool to do so. I just need to get out tot he swamps to shoot it

there are some good deer out there . have fun dragging. those are some long hauls.

14 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I meant to make sure it fires, at the berms.

now i understand. dude I saw the Vietnamese looking folks all dressed in camo and head stockings with face masks shooting rifles. It looked like a family affair. It was kind disturbing, i was there with my muzzleloader. felt kind undergunned

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I have never seen a buck during the late season, maybe this is my year

I rarely see any after Thanksgiving, but usually both of my buck tags are punched by then, which takes away most of my drive to hunt.  If no buck shows up on this last weekend of SZ gun, then I am really looking forward to late ML because I will still have my gun buck tag.   About 20 years ago, I attempted a shot on a very large buck, that had already dropped the antler on one side, as he passed thru the hedgerow below my treestand.   Unfortunately, I was armed with my old side-lock, and only the cap went off.   That was one of two antlered buck that I have seen during that late season.  The other one was about 10 years ago.  He was even larger and had both his horns, and I had my in-line ML.  He responded to rattling but did not present a shot that I thought I could make.   I have taken a few does and button bucks during that late season, but never one with a legal antler.  Maybe this year will be the first.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

It shouldn't, I just want to make sure it fires. It's been in the safe for 18 years

I'll just assume it's NOT loaded (lots of ML are left loaded by mistake and they will turn to junk after only a few years like that!!) and that you'll be checking that it isn't by inspecting things as well as you can.  BTW, a flashlight shined in the touch hole (I love that term) will surely show in the muzzle of the barrel while looking down it.

After determining she's clear, pop a couple caps prior to the initial loading, then hang on with all ya got as your off to the races.  :)

Love ML'rs of all flavors..................

I've killed a few late season bucks and plenty of doe with ML guns and I look forward to all the reports coming in from all that are somewhat new to it.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 3