If you could only have one gun for hunting what would it be and why ?

Hunter007

If I could only have one gun it would be some sort of combination gun that would have to be able to handle all types of small and big game hunting.

Might just as well go whole hog seeing the limit is one, something like the Browning over and under pictured would be a good candidate, a set of rifle barrels and a set of shotgun barrels should take care of most hunting. As mentioned previously the Thompson Center Encore with a rifle, shotgun and muzzleloading barrel would do the trick also.

Al 

2017-12-06_044718.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

just gave mine to a son of a friend of mine.  Had that shotgun for 30 years.  Its taken deer, turkey, small game.  It was a bit beat up and got so I never used it cause Ive bought others , but took my first deer with it and my first buck.  But moved it along to a new hunter who will get some use out of it.  That gun covers it all and ammo is cheap.  I just had a slug barrel without rifling and it was a deer killer out to 90 yards.  Im glad its out in the field again.  Went hunting with him last week and it was good to see it back in use.  Told him he could have the gun, the only caveat was that he could not sell it. If he needed to sell it or wanted to to come see me first.  
Bought mine 26 years ago when I was 17. It has served me well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Of all my big game rifles it would be my Savage model 99 chambered in 300savage. Just love that old light weight gun. My dad bought it in the early 1960's and he never shot a deer with it, He gave it to me about 6 years ago and I've shot 5 deer with it so far.

• Like 2

My 1187 that is about 35 years old. It has only failed me by my mistakes. Can reach out for a long shot and tuck in at close range. Honestly I have hunted for 40 years now and you become dependent  on the old girl. It happened this year about 75 yards out brisket shot on a nice doe. No blood for 15  yards or so then I found her. I have never said this before in public  but that gun will be willed to the first kid I mentored in hunting  a few years ago. SHHHH don't tell him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, First-light said:

My 1187 that is about 35 years old. It has only failed me by my mistakes. Can reach out for a long shot and tuck in at close range. Honestly I have hunted for 40 years now and you become dependent  on the old girl. It happened this year about 75 yards out brisket shot on a nice doe. No blood for 15  yards or so then I found her. I have never said this before in public  but that gun will be willed to the first kid I mentored in hunting  a few years ago. SHHHH don't tell him. 

Yep great gun 

I have one that is  25 years old never fails 

• Like 1