Nearly 20 deer carcasses found near Saratoga County boat launch

Jdubs

Absolutely sickening!  DEC is asking for anyone with information to call them.

http://news10.com/2017/12/06/deer-carcasses-found-at-boat-launches/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WTEN

SARATOGA COUNTY, N.Y. (NEWS10) – The DEC is investigating the discovery of nearly 20 deer carcasses left to rot near two Saratoga County Boat launch sites.

The hunter who found them wants to know who’s responsible.

“I wanted people to be aware of what’s happening.”

What’s happening near two Boat launches in Saratoga County is deeply disturbing.

“There’s a lot of meat there, a lot of deer.”

Deer shot and killed, the meat left to rot.

Sportsman Josh Warner spotted the carcasses while scouting for good fishing spots at the Nolan Road Boat Launch and the Roger’s Island Pool Boat Launch. 

At first, it was just a few.

“Came back a week later and found 12 more.”

Walking the length of the road he showed us more than a dozen killed and discarded deer. 

Some even stuffed in garbage bags. 

Most were young does and one young buck. 

“He was just shot, killed and dumped. When I hunt, I hunt to feed my family. I don’t hunt to kill them and throw them on the side of the road.”

The disgusted hunter feels it’s all the work of poachers, so he took his frustration to Facebook by posting videos.

“The law should be stricter on what’s happening here.”

The DEC says they are aware of the situation and are investigating.

That this clearly illegal and considered improper disposal of the animals.

Here in the Northern Zone, the Regular deer hunting season ended on Sunday. With a short muzzleloader season having started on Monday, the DEC says it’s legal to take young bucks, and if you have a special permit, does as well.

What happened at these sites is definitely outside of the law.

“I hope and pray to God that they get caught because then it will be an eye-opener for everybody else.”

The Department of Environmental Conservation is asking for the public’s help. If you know anything about this case you’re asked to give them a call. 

Edited by Jdubs

Something doesn't make sense, why would someone shoot 20 deer, go through the work of dragging the deer out and hauling them somewhere else where they're going to be discovered?? Be interesting to find out what's really going on.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Something doesn't make sense, why would someone shoot 20 deer, go through the work of dragging the deer out and hauling them somewhere else where they're going to be discovered?? Be interesting to find out what's really going on.

Great question.  Pure speculation, but an exasperated or narcissistic homeowner with meticulous landscaping might fit the profile.  No hunter would waste the meat from 20 deer.  A haul like this likely involves spotlights and baiting.

4 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Great question.  Pure speculation, but an exasperated or narcissistic homeowner with meticulous landscaping might fit the profile.  No hunter would waste the meat from 20 deer.  A haul like this likely involves spotlights and baiting.

Question is why waste the meat there are drop offs for the hungry just pathectic.

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Aliens :)

• Like 1

Years ago an apple farm around here shot dozens of deer and threw them in the corner of a property. Not sure if it was legal or not but someone found them and made a huge fuss. Could be one of those situations . 

Edited by Hock3y24

8 hours ago, REDNECK4LIFE32 said:

Maybe its the high way department from the road kill deer on interstate or local roads. Don't know just a guess but it sucks with all that wasted meat any road kill I see I always try to salvage some if not all if I can depending on the situation.

said in the post though that they were shot.  I used to work for the DOT and they frowned on us shooting. lol.   Your right sure is a waste.    

i wonder if the DEC wasnt too happy that this went to press.  Kinda ruined any stakeouts they might be doing to catch them.  If they were truly shot then this is a crazy person that likes to kill animals or just hates the deer at his house.  Was thinking maybe some accidental poisoning of some sort someone was trying to cover up.  But if shot then its gotta be someone that is just killing deer. Taking them somewhere sure doesnt seem to make any sense either. 

i wonder if the DEC wasnt too happy that this went to press.  Kinda ruined any stakeouts they might be doing to catch them.  If they were truly shot then this is a crazy person that likes to kill animals or just hates the deer at his house.  Was thinking maybe some accidental poisoning of some sort someone was trying to cover up.  But if shot then its gotta be someone that is just killing deer. Taking them somewhere sure doesnt seem to make any sense either. 

Good point on the stakeout. Might start seeing some piles elsewhere, if this person(s) keeps going.

Yeah, something is very wrong here.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Because the deer were poached.

I would bet they weren't. This is a pure guess but here goes. I believe the state and some local Govt's contract with company's/individuals to remove roadkill. Wouldn't surprise me if this dump location was closer than the spot the government was providing to dispose and the person paid to pick up and dispose of took an easier way to get rid of them. For them to be intact I can't see it being a poacher. if you just wanted to kill them then why not shoot and let lay in place. the Yotes would take care of it in pretty short order. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I would bet they weren't. This is a pure guess but here goes. I believe the state and some local Govt's contract with company's/individuals to remove roadkill. Wouldn't surprise me if this dump location was closer than the spot the government was providing to dispose and the person paid to pick up and dispose of took an easier way to get rid of them. For them to be intact I can't see it being a poacher. if you just wanted to kill them then why not shoot and let lay in place. the Yotes would take care of it in pretty short order. 

and they shot them too?  Says in the info they were shot. 

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The guy who found the carcasses, a hunter, said they were all shot.  If that's the case, then the roadkill scenario seems less likely.  I am assuming that he would be able to distinguish between hunted deer and roadkill, including euthanized roadkill.  

Poacher in the sense of taking deer illegally and without tags.  A malicious landowner could make sense.  He'd want the deer gone, to include their rotting corpses, from his property.  I can't imagine any real hunter passing up so much quality meat; seems to be a real sadistic SOB.  Hopefully the investigation and spreading the word will eventually lead to the person(s) responsible.

16 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

The guy who found the carcasses, a hunter, said they were all shot.  If that's the case, then the roadkill scenario seems less likely.  I am assuming that he would be able to distinguish between hunted deer and roadkill, including euthanized roadkill.  

Poacher in the sense of taking deer illegally and without tags.  A malicious landowner could make sense.  He'd want the deer gone, to include their rotting corpses, from his property.  I can't imagine any real hunter passing up so much quality meat; seems to be a real sadistic SOB.  Hopefully the investigation and spreading the word will eventually lead to the person(s) responsible.

Unfortunately it always seems that stories like these are put forward on front page and once the real truth is know it is last page if at all. I do question why this guy went to the media. I wonder if he reported it to the DEC at all or just went to the media.  I'd be including him in my "in depth look" lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

A malicious landowner could make sense.  He'd want the deer gone, to include their rotting corpses, from his property. 

I know of a couple that purposely gut shoot on DDP so they don't have the dead deer on their land and don't have to burn a permit tag.  (unfortunately we can't prove it)