Nearly 20 deer carcasses found near Saratoga County boat launch

Jdubs

There was a similar story posted on here 2 or 3 years ago. People reacted the same way, saying it was the work of poachers, people should be drawn and quartered for doing it, blah blah blah. Turned out it was the town or county highway department dumping roadkill animals. Maybe people should hold off from jumping to conclusions. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

There was a similar story posted on here 2 or 3 years ago. People reacted the same way, saying it was the work of poachers, people should be drawn and quartered for doing it, blah blah blah. Turned out it was the town or county highway department dumping roadkill animals. Maybe people should hold off from jumping to conclusions. 

PA used to do the same at a "Game Lands" near where I grew up.

49 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know of a couple that purposely gut shoot on DDP so they don't have the dead deer on their land and don't have to burn a permit tag.  (unfortunately we can't prove it)

Wow.  Probably best not to post my true reaction to hearing that.  Sick.

• Like 1

Highly likely to be a dump site from one of the contracted deer picker uppers as others have mentioned, its not far from 87.

I'd bet that is the least disgusting thing found at that boat launch, once while fishing with SalmonRun I watched a woman pop a squat in a parking lot while talking to her parents who were there. I was there all alone with the boat while he and another guy went back to get the other truck w/trailer. Its not like I was invisible, who does that? All that was after the scene at the other boat launch of a crew of locals swimming, they were plus sized and missing many teeth.

24 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

"Some stuffed in garbage bags" in the OP. That's a puzzling piece of info. Along with "all were shot".

he's a self proclaimed hunter. He could have just passed his hunter safety course and doesn't know which end of the round to place int he gun first. lol. I find it hard to believe he started flipping and examining all those decomposing carcasses. 

Doewacker---what have your temps been like out there? that had to be ripe if your temps have been like ours. 

1 hour ago, Jdubs said:

Wow.  Probably best not to post my true reaction to hearing that.  Sick.

Had a farmer get caught doing that. Then someone found a gully of deer on his farm ...I believe crap hit the fan for him on that and he had to remove and properly dispose of all of them...That was some years ago...

Couple of pics in this article.

http://poststar.com/news/local/dumping-of-deer-carcasses-under-investigation-in-moreau/article_383138cb-4b0b-57c9-a177-7fa0ea0ee1bc.html

14 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Doewacker---what have your temps been like out there? that had to be ripe if your temps have been like ours.

Warm enough to make it stink up there more than usual. lol

Read the write up and says the guy made the first call to DEC and he instantly got the reply...We are investigating it?  So they already had a heads up on the activity before this guy came along i my guess.

Maybe its the guy that made the find....Like one of those fire starter firemen that then come to the station at the bell and goes fight the fire.

It will be interesting to hear the results of any investigations, I hope members who are from that area will keep us updated on any further info on this story. I suppose we could theorize forever, but hopefully some real information will be offered at some point in time. If there is a legitimate reason (such as a roadkill dump), I would think it would take only a matter of a day or so to find that out.

7 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Turned out it was the town or county highway department dumping roadkill animals.

Could be in this case but I doubt it as the proximity (boat launch) to a water way would be not the best judgement of the local officials.

I actually live about 10 minutes from this spot and went down the day after I seen it on facebook, there were deer in bags and one dumped on the guardrail, most of them old skeletons but the one that was intact was gutted perfectly and no meat takin at all, and also the deer was on fb 1 day before I seen it with horns so someone seen the vid and went and took the horns off. It appeared to me like a butcher got a little busy perhaps!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like road  kill to me. Police will shoot injured deer also so just because they have bullet wounds doesnt mean poaching. And partially butchered road kill makes sense not much meat you can. Salvage on a deer hit over 30 mph. The deer gutted then dumped could be someone second thinking what they see after they opened it up. As far as dumping nxt to a water way. I always. Thought that was illegal till we found a pile of road kill about 50 yrds from the Susquehanna  river off of 17 west in tioga cnty. Must have been 2 to  300 dead deer there in a pit. They just covered it over with dirt in the spring.