Can a bullet kill a deer even if you miss?

Hunter007

nope sure cant no matter what that old fool tells you. Sucked the eyes right out off its head hahaha . He got lucky and hit the deer in the eyes. Look closer and think logically about this. there is no black hole type of vacuum following this bullet. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vizslas said:

nope sure cant no matter what that old fool tells you. Sucked the eyes right out off its head hahaha . He got lucky and hit the deer in the eyes. Look closer and think logically about this. there is no black hole type of vacuum following this bullet. 

I have know idea i never shot a .50 cal at a deer before 

But with normal size hunting bullet you are correct. 

22 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Keith Warren is a douche... The only way that guy kills deer is high fence, literally.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

And apparently he is full of s*** too 

Don't know why he made this video and is  saying  that bs .

Edited by Storm914

I almost went along with the "in one eye and out the other" theory, until I looked close at the internal scull structure on a euro that I had handy.   Now I see that there is no way a .50 could pass thru there without contacting lots of bone.  It would surely cause a much larger exit wound.  Based on the video, the doe's left eye would have been the entrance.  We get a good look at the right eye at the end of the video.   I have had my hair parted by a shotgun slug.  Based on how that felt, I have no doubt that the pressure of a round, with more than 10 times the energy, could cause that damage without making contact.  Those of you who have not felt the shock wave of a bullet against your head, or don't have a whitetail skull handy to examine, are not in as good of a position to call this shot, so I can understand your confusion.

So the video does prove that as long as the energy is high enough and the distance is close enough, then a deer can be killed with a miss.

The guy was very wrong to call that "a very ethical kill" however.   A head shot is never an ethical kill.   I won't even take one on a squirrel.   An ethical kill is one that is taken at a point that provides the largest +/- error, in all directions, of killing the animal cleanly.  Anyone who has seen a deer with a missing lower jaw, arrow sticking out below an ear, etc, should be able to understand that.  Again, taking a look at a euro, you will see that the deer's brain is only about an inch and a half to two inches in diameter.  That is not much larger than a ping-pong ball.   Contrast that to the heart/lung area that is closer to the size of a beach ball.  A shot at a beach-ball sized kill-zone, from any range with any weapon, and from any angle, is far more "ethical" than a shot at a ping-pong ball sized kill zone.       

Edited by wolc123

24 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

So the video does prove that as long as the energy is high enough and the distance is close enough, then a deer can be killed with a miss.

The guy was very wrong to call that "a very ethical kill" however.   A head shot is never an ethical kill.

Wow. 

He hit it in the eye plain as day. A 750 grn projectile ain’t gonna expand with out hitting something way way bigger and harder. 

And for Pete’s sake do not try to be the one to decide ethical or not Mr butt hole bullseye. Mr Take a shot and then range it to see how far it was with a crossbow. Give it up 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I almost went along with the "in one eye and out the other" theory, until I looked close at the internal scull structure on a euro that I had handy.   Now I see that there is no way a .50 could pass thru there without contacting lots of bone.  It would surely cause a much larger exit wound.  Based on the video, the doe's left eye would have been the entrance.  We get a good look at the right eye at the end of the video.   I have had my hair parted by a shotgun slug.  Based on how that felt, I have no doubt that the pressure of a round, with more than 10 times the energy, could cause that damage without making contact.  Those of you who have not felt the shock wave of a bullet against your head, or don't have a whitetail skull handy to examine, are not in as good of a position to call this shot, so I can understand your confusion.

The guy was very wrong to call that "a very ethical kill" however.   A head shot is never an ethical kill.   I won't even take one on a squirrel.   An ethical kill is one that is taken at a point that provides the largest +/- error, in all directions, of killing the animal cleanly.  Anyone who has seen a deer with a missing lower jaw, arrow sticking out below an ear, etc, should be able to understand that.  Again, taking a look at a euro, you will see that the deer's brain is only about an inch and a half to two inches in diameter.  That is not much larger than a ping-pong ball.   Contrast that to the heart/lung area that is closer to the size of a beach ball.  A shot at a beach-ball sized kill-zone, from any range with any weapon, and from any angle, is far more "ethical" than a shot at a ping-pong ball sized kill zone.       

If you look closely you  can see brain and some bone particles coming out of the deers head  the bullet made contact . That white Mist that you see that's brain and bone matter. Look again . And he had the perfect angle to make that shot .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

Lol...video tapes...has others with him... says right in the video they skinned the head out and examined it. What's the  velocity of a 50? 12 + thou?  Actually the bullet is travelling at mach speed..causing a sonic wave thus pressure wave. 

I Don't know if  it did or didn't ..but I wouldn't make the type of statements made here unless I did a bit of reading first..and yes..looking at a skull:rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, growalot said:

Lol...video tapes...has others with him... says right in the video they skinned the head out and examined it. What's the  velocity of a 50? 12 + thou?  Actually the bullet is travelling at mach speed..causing a sonic wave thus pressure wave. 

I Don't know if  it did or didn't ..but I wouldn't make the type of statements made here unless I did a bit of reading first..and yes..looking at a skull:rolleyes:

There are some military jets that fly as fast as bullets things don't  blow up when they pass by they also way 1000 times more then that bullet btw 

42 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

Wow. 

He hit it in the eye plain as day. A 750 grn projectile ain’t gonna expand with out hitting something way way bigger and harder. 

And for Pete’s sake do not try to be the one to decide ethical or not Mr butt hole bullseye. Mr Take a shot and then range it to see how far it was with a crossbow. Give it up 

And now he has had his hair parted by a shotgun slug?  Cant believe this guy even stays on this site. The sh!t that he comes up with makes Growie's post sound like a Virgin.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

15 minutes ago, growalot said:

Like I said..go do a little reading...

I have 

The have milatery jets that fly from 1000 mph to over 2000 

The blackbird  and things don't blow up when they fly bye brother   

And they way  a a hell of a lot more than a little bullet .

Btw I have seen a other video in slow motion of head shots on game and  you  see that brain mist happen when a animal gets  shot  in the eye or head .  So that is how I am sure he hit the deer .

Edited by Storm914

30 minutes ago, growalot said:

Maybe you should read first. 

That thing is nothing fast in terms of rifle rounds. @2800fps 

12000. Lol 

Edited by Doewhacker
  • Like 3

A 50 BMG   750 grain is  about 2800 FPS.....About the same as many normal deer  chamberings, sich as the 30-06, 308 and many others..What gives it the WHUMP is the fact that it is a  750 grain bullet, compared to a 150-180 grain...

That guy is as full of s**t as the  werewolf/dogman/ bigfoot dude that has recently departed the forum, claiming he was a victim of cyber bullying...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Who takes head shots at a deer with a gun like that, or even hunts with a gun like that.  That's not hunting ....its a person that likes to try to blow an animals head off.  An ethical shot?  Really.....was there not a rocket launcher available?  He is just trying to show off to people and have some shock value.  

Anyone out there wanna hunt with that guy. .....  I won't be in line.  I really don't care if he hit the deer or not. He seems like a jerk either way.  

That's not hunting it's killing. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Who takes head shots at a deer with a gun like that, or even hunts with a gun like that.  That's not hunting ....its a person that likes to try to blow an animals head off.  An ethical shot?  Really.....was there not a rocket launcher available?  He is just trying to show off to people and have some shock value.  

Anyone out there wanna hunt with that guy. .....  I won't be in line.  I really don't care if he hit the deer or not. He seems like a jerk either way.  

That's not hunting it's killing. 

He said that gun weighed 30 lb lol that is  like hunting with an artillery piece lol  maybe he uses a limousine to get to his hunting spot because he's definitely not walking there with that thing lol 

Yes. And no.. My father killed a buck when I was 12 having missed it with a 12 gauge slug.. The slug hit a tree in front of the deer..but disloged a chunk of wood out the back of the tree that than hit and penetrated the dears chest behind it.. Had a 1 in by 3 inch hole between it's ribs and chunk of wood in its chest when gutted.. He was afraid to have Dec check it as it was not killed with a bullet..but was..in a sense...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1