Can a bullet kill a deer even if you miss?

Hunter007

29 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Here is one example notice that white smoke its acually brain matter same as the first video only difference this guy did not get a perfect eye shot like Keith , this guy hit hard bone   making the skull break apart 

Graphic and stupid but you were making a point. The guy who took this shot is an ass. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Here is one example notice that white smoke its acually brain matter same as the first video only difference this guy did not get a perfect eye shot like Keith , this guy hit hard bone   making the skull break apart 

How could the OP video guy get a 50 thru from one eye to the other without hitting bone ?  Don't you have a deer scull handy so you could understand what I mean ?  Even if the bullet did not expand, all the bone chunks from contact of that 1/2" diameter , pointed bullet would be expelled thru the exit side at a wide angle, creating a wound significantly larger than the eye socket.   We don't see evidence of that in the clear footage of the right side eye at the end of the video.   

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

Wow. 

He hit it in the eye plain as day. A 750 grn projectile ain’t gonna expand with out hitting something way way bigger and harder. 

And for Pete’s sake do not try to be the one to decide ethical or not Mr butt hole bullseye. Mr Take a shot and then range it to see how far it was with a crossbow. Give it up 

Are you a "head-shooter" ?

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

How could the OP video guy get a 50 thru from one eye to the other without hitting bone ?  Don't you have a deer scull handy so you could understand what I mean ?  Even if the bullet did not expand, all the bone chunks from contact of that 1/2" diameter , pointed bullet would be expelled thru the exit side at a wide angle, creating a wound significantly larger than the eye socket.   We don't see evidence of that in the clear footage of the right side eye at the end of the video.   

Look again parts of bone do come out the other side. 

Also someone said he was using armor piecing ammo in the comment section of the video  if that is true they don't   expand at all .

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Look again parts of bone do come out the other side. 

Also someone said he was using armor piecing ammo in the comment section of the video  if that is true they don't   expand at all .

Those are still 1/2" diameter and pointed.  Imagine the angle that the bone fragments would be projected out at.  How could that be smaller than the eye socket ?   Take a look at how much solid bone is between the eyes in a deer skull.   One quick look at a euro will show you that there is no way a 50 could pass thru from one eye to the other with that exit wound.

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Those are still 1/2" diameter and pointed.  Imagine the angle that the bone fragments would be projected out at.  How could that be smaller than the eye socket ?   Take a look at how much solid bone is between the eyes in a deer skull.   One quick look at a euro will show you that there is no way a 50 could pass thru from one eye to the other with that exit wound.

Eye socket is bigger then .50 diameter.

He did not sure enough of it to know for sure acually but from what I have  seen from other slow motion head shots brain smoke means hit .

• Like 1

Lol...video tapes...has others with him... says right in the video they skinned the head out and examined it. What's the  velocity of a 50? 12 + thou?  Actually the bullet is travelling at mach speed..causing a sonic wave thus pressure wave. 
I Don't know if  it did or didn't ..but I wouldn't make the type of statements made here unless I did a bit of reading first..and yes..looking at a skulldefault_rolleyes.gif
A 12,000 FPS .50 caliber?? And you're scolding us for not "doing a bit of reading first"!?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I say anything is possible, we all know it didnt suck its eyes out and that the does head was basically intact. except for those devilish eyes. That heavy bullet traveling at 3 times the speed of sound blew through that skull like it was tissue paper. all i know is I would have to see it to believe it. moron behind the gun who almost missed the deer  got lucky. maybe bigfoot was around and just punched the deer real quick while no one was looking.

• Like 1

Why the F am I still see your posts?.. and I just got through reading 7 different articles and severall different sources. THEN after reading Pygmy' s went back and read again.. what it actually stated was between 10,000 - 15,000 fpe... I Never stated..try this again brainiac. NEVER STATED fps..in fact  I  never stated fpe in that post you quoted.. So you learn to read. I did search the velocity of a 50cal bullet...which has many factors involved that lead me to  read about  sonic waves and energy.. Again I stated... whether he did or didn't  ,you should read. 

As far as the "spray" nonsense... I wouldn't be looking at what may have come from that deers eye.. BTW you do nott know if that was brain and bone or eye material..let's get real...I'd be more concentrated on the amount of "spray" that appears to be leaving its mouth 

all you have to do is take a look at the forehead of the doe as he is holding it up.  The guy is so full of himself claiming it was an ethical shot and or ethical kill, but to claim the crap he is claiming he doesn't have a clue about physics. 

I can say from first hand experience that a .50 bmg fmj fired at 5 gallon plastic buckets filled with sand has a .50 cal hole in and a .50 cal hole going out, it didn't matter whether it was 100,200,300,400 yards same thing.  A deer's nasal and orbital bones are tougher than a plastic bucket full of sand.....aaaaayyyyeeaaaah OK.

shooting that .50 bmg was the  most fun I ever had shooting a gun,  also the most expensive  $5.00 a shell for the military surplus ammo, the gun was a beast of a custom built bolt action that weighed in at 47 lbs, was probably close to 5' long. The recoil was less than my featherweight model 70's in .270 and 30-06  but holy cow the report was deafening even with ear plugs and ear muffs.  but dang that was worth the drive to NH just to shoot that gun.

• Like 1

I won't say one way or another if I agree or not, but there is a tremendous shockwave surrounding that round. It's a military "urban legend" that you can miss by a foot and still kill with the 50.

One thing I will agree that's certain, headshots are NOT ethical in my book, and that dude is a tool.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, growalot said:

Why the F am I still see your posts?.. and I just got through reading 7 different articles and severall different sources. THEN after reading Pygmy' s went back and read again.. what it actually stated was between 10,000 - 15,000 fpe... I Never stated..try this again brainiac. NEVER STATED fps..in fact  I  never stated fpe in that post you quoted.. So you learn to read. I did search the velocity of a 50cal bullet...which has many factors involved that lead me to  read about  sonic waves and energy.. Again I stated... whether he did or didn't  ,you should read. 

As far as the "spray" nonsense... I wouldn't be looking at what may have come from that deers eye.. BTW you do nott know if that was brain and bone or eye material..let's get real...I'd be more concentrated on the amount of "spray" that appears to be leaving its mouth 

Well if you look at the comment section most people think he hit the deer.  And I happen to agree with them , with out seeing the skull more closely we can't know for sure but that asks the question why did he not show more of the skull? to prove what he was saying ?

I think he was just making up bs  trying to promote his show and that gun .

Edited by Storm914

We did not see pictures of the deer's head from all sides....Note that there is also blood coming from the mouth...The projectile penetrated the deer's head/ neck SOMEWHERE...The  idea that a .50 cal can kill from a near miss is just what Treeguy said...An urban legend, promoted mostly by people who know diddley squat about terminal ballistics..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, growalot said:

Well that last sentence was probably your best and most accurate...People's comments..let's see...they have as much weight with me as people's reviews..

What about when a f16 does a fly bye at Mach 1 at a airbase. 

That shock wave is 100 times more then a bullet but peoples  heads don't blow up that are near bye  do they?

How would a bullet do what a jet which is much bigger not be able tO do .

• Like 1

That shock wave is 100 times more then a bullet but peoples  heads don't blow up that are near bye  do they?

That’s why I don’t go to air shows, I don’t want my eyes to get sucked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

That has nothing to do with what you quoted I said...move on

9 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Holy crap! Who the heck takes head shots at a decent buck?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, growalot said:

Here’s a fact. The more you post the dumber you sound. 

• Like 1