.22 LR

YFKI1983

46 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Then what do you mean "won't cycle a LR round"?

Does it still "cycle" 22rf short rounds?

30 minutes ago, mowin said:

This rifle I'm referring to, has had thousands of rounds through it. My dad purchased it in 1945. He shot the snot out of it, then my two brothers shot the snot out of it before I got my hands on it. The countless shorts that were shot out of that auto, didn't do a dam thing to it.  No, the shorts or longs won't cycle the action, but they didn't wear the action out where it won't cycle the LR rounds.  

Plain and simple, the shorts and longs didn't harm this LR only auto.  The many LR rounds did. 

So the shorts and longs didn't also contribute to the action wearing out, just the LR rounds?

7 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

So the shorts and longs didn't also contribute to the action wearing out, just the LR rounds?

If they couldn't cycle the action, how did they wear the action out?   

The thousands of LR rounds and most likely the infrequent cleaning this poor thing got during the days my older brothers had it caused 99% of the damage. 

3 hours ago, mowin said:

If they couldn't cycle the action, how did they wear the action out?   

The thousands of LR rounds and most likely the infrequent cleaning this poor thing got during the days my older brothers had it caused 99% of the damage. 

Shooting short, longs & LR will certainly not do any harm.

Where shorts do damage is when they are used as a steady diet and exclusively over a long period of time. They do not harm the "action", they  do not "wear out" the action, but they can cause damage to the chamber. It is rare.

The same thing can happen to a .357 when 38 Special rounds are shot frequently over a long period of time without firing the longer magnum cases occasionally.

I misunderstood you original post. The way you worded the post made it sound like the rifle only malfunctioned with 22lr cartridges. THAT would be a symptom of chamber damage from firing countless 22 short cartridges without proper maintenance.

On 12/11/2017 at 9:35 AM, wildcat junkie said:

Rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim, not the case mouth. Only rimless straight wall case headspace on the case mouth.

Rimless semi-auto pistol cartridges are an example.

As pointed out earlier, in a semi-auto 22lr action, the blow back might not be sufficient with 22rf short cartridges to cycle the action.. With bolts/levers, etc, the danger lies in erosion of the chamber ahead of the mouth of the case of the 22rf short cartridges being repeatedly fired in a 22lr chamber over a long period of time. This will cause 22lr cases to hang up when fired in a chamber thus eroded.

This above advice is spot on, also WJ has been building rifles for a long time with a ton of experience. If you listen to anyone I would listen to him.

To add to what he was saying when firing large quanities of shorts can cause lead build up on the edge of the chamber mouth, this can cause damage to the rifle, extreme inaccuracy to the normal LR ammo, and also cause the bolt from completely closing in extreme conditions and not allowing the rifle to fire. 

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1