Gun Laws Questions

Hello all,

I'm relocating to Rome in the spring and I have a lot of firearms. I've done some reading, but I'm still a little confused. 

Can I bring my handguns? (1 revolver, 2 semi-autos with 7 and 5rd magazines). No intentions of fighting to get a CCW, but wanting to keep them for home protection.

Can I bring my AR's? I have 5 and 10 round magazines for them, but both were purchased after 2013. 

Is a Ruger semi-auto 22 with a replacement tactical stock considered an "assault rifle"?

A lot of what I was reading didn't pertain to those relocating to the state. Thank you in advance for any help.

19 minutes ago, FallAir said:

Hello all,

I'm relocating to Rome in the spring and I have a lot of firearms. I've done some reading, but I'm still a little confused. 

Can I bring my handguns? (1 revolver, 2 semi-autos with 7 and 5rd magazines). No intentions of fighting to get a CCW, but wanting to keep them for home protection. NO. NY requires you to have a permit to even have them in your house. NY only has CCPermits. Some may have restrictions in certain counties by certain judges but Each must be on a permit to be in your possession. 

Can I bring my AR's? I have 5 and 10 round magazines for them, but both were purchased after 2013.  The magazines are compliant but if you have a single evil feature on the list with a detachable magazine then the rifle will be an assault rifle by NY law and is not legal. Reading the NYSafe act will give you the info. Also the State police website has a section that you answer questions to determine if it is an assault weapon.  But in short. Detachable mag with a Collapsible stock, a pistol grip, a bayonet lug, a flash suppressor it is an assault rifle and not legal. 

Is a Ruger semi-auto 22 with a replacement tactical stock considered an "assault rifle"?See Above

A lot of what I was reading didn't pertain to those relocating to the state. Thank you in advance for any help.

Where are you coming from?  I am going to assume it from out of state with my answers. See in bold above

https://safeact.ny.gov/registration-questionnaire

Welcome to The Peoples' Republic of NY

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

36 minutes ago, FallAir said:

Hello all,

Can I bring my handguns? (1 revolver, 2 semi-autos with 7 and 5rd magazines). No intentions of fighting to get a CCW, but wanting to keep them for home protection.

Can I bring my AR's? I have 5 and 10 round magazines for them, but both were purchased after 2013. 

Is a Ruger semi-auto 22 with a replacement tactical stock considered an "assault rifle"?

Just be lucky you did not move to NYC you need a permit to even own a toothpick pretty soon over there :)

U can get a mag lock on the ar's, or a spur grip, or thorsen stock. Then they are legal. If u go the spur grip or thorson stock, they have to be "featureless". Which means no muzzle device, no threaded muzzle, no bayonet lug, no foward grip, no adjustable stock...if u pin the mag u are all set and can have whatever u want on it. If the .22 has a pistol grip it falls into the same realm as ur AR. In that case ur better off if its a 10/22, get a wood stock back on it. No mags over 10rds. As others have said welcome to ny:bad:

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Where are you coming from?  I am going to assume it from out of state with my answers. See in bold above

https://safeact.ny.gov/registration-questionnaire

Welcome to The Peoples' Republic of NY

This clears most of it up for me. Thank you. I wasn't sure if I needed a permit to just keep them in my home. I'm coming from NC, where guns live happily ever after. I'm from Pa originally, so I'll end up leaving everything except my non-scary long guns with relatives.

• Like 1

This clears most of it up for me. Thank you. I wasn't sure if I needed a permit to just keep them in my home. I'm coming from NC, where guns live happily ever after. I'm from Pa originally, so I'll end up leaving everything except my non-scary long guns with relatives.

If you put a conventional stock on the 10-22 you are good to go with that one too. Google NY compliant AR and you can see some pics of the mods that would allow that one to come as well.

28 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Nope. It is no longer an assault weapon

Yup, what Culver said. Also, there are no more registrations. That ended 2-3 years ago.

There's some double talk in the law about being able to if you "didn't know", but the state police will tell you there are no more chances to register.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

You will need to wait untill you have residency to start the 6-8months process for the pistol permit... leave em.

As far as the ars it's best to leave them in pa.. acquiring the parts to make them ny legal and convert them before you bring them into the state.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

No. Just read up on the safe act before you sell any. There are requirements there

Great information Bob!

23 minutes ago, FallAir said:

Ok thanks for all the info. It is unfortunate that some of the rules are what they are, but I'm glad I asked. 

Welcome to NY. And this forum. Thank you for your service.

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Great information Bob!

Welcome to NY. And this forum. Thank you for your service.

Thank you. Regardless of the restrictions, I couldn't be happier to be coming up there. We are going to be closer to family in PA. We took a drive up and stayed over night earlier in the week and checked out the area. Beautiful place and it felt a lot like home.  Our kids will definitely enjoy the outdoor activities there.

• Like 2

If you break down the ar, take the pistol grip and other features off the rifle you can bring it into the state.( cannot assemble in ny then it becomes illegal.) No on handguns till you get ny permit, leave them out of state for sure. The Ruger I believe can be considered an assault weapon. Rifles shotguns are fine. Also no mags over 10 rounds.

Edited by Hock3y24