Bumping Deer

eagle rider

One of my spots that has been a better spot than most this season has the deer on a different pattern.  I get in about an hour before first light and the walk from the truck to the stand is less than 100 yards.  But I'm bumping the deer out, I hear them running out of there in the dark the moment they see the flashlight beam.  Its private land and the way I get in is the only way that I can.  I'm use to see upwards of 10 or 12 different deer in there every morning.  Now I'm lucky if I see two.  I don't know if their patterns changed, or if they are on a more active dark cycle.  Just doesn't make sense.  I'm thinking to stay out for about a week and let the spot cool off.  I was hitting the stand about two or three mornings a week. Even activity on the cameras has slowed down.  Any ideas?

hey man well i'll tell you what happend to me a few times i park my little atv about 400 yrds from my stand i get in the field @ 5:30 am  with my head lamp and flash lite[ call me belt and suspenders i carry two of every thing] well i see two eyes looking right at me close to the stand and then what ever the deer was bolted into the woods it was dark and i couldnt tell.well i get in the stand and wow the place came alive at first light @ 6:45  a doe came out then @ 7: 05  another deer . i was amazed. first day of bow season i spooked 6 does right understand but my fault i was there late @ 6 am . the only thing i will tell you is that 100 yds is a little close to park i mean  with the lights and engine noise and car door opening and closing thats enough to spook them 

• Like 1

I would hunt it in the evening and try to set up in a transition area in the morning close to bedding. If you can't get close to their bedding area, then at least far enough away from the feeding area that you won't bump them. if your hunting the area that much, you may be over hunting it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

hey man well i'll tell you what happend to me a few times i park my little atv about 400 yrds from my stand i get in the field @ 5:30 am  with my head lamp and flash lite[ call me belt and suspenders i carry two of every thing] well i see two eyes looking right at me close to the stand and then what ever the deer was bolted into the woods it was dark and i couldnt tell.well i get in the stand and wow the place came alive at first light @ 6:45  a doe came out then @ 7: 05  another deer . i was amazed. first day of bow season i spooked 6 does right understand but my fault i was there late @ 6 am . the only thing i will tell you is that 100 yds is a little close to park i mean  with the lights and engine noise and car door opening and closing thats enough to spook them 

It's residential with a 3 acre lot that backs up to a river bottom.  The furthest point from the driveway is 100 yards as a crow flies to the stand.  They've never been in there this early.  That is what has me wondering if they are just on an earlier cycle for now and it will switch back as the moon phase changes.  IDK, but hoping.  

5 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

I would hunt it in the evening and try to set up in a transition area in the morning close to bedding. If you can't get close to their bedding area, then at least far enough away from the feeding area that you won't bump them. if your hunting the area that much, you may be over hunting it. 

I'd like to, but the spot is the spot and I can't really change the stand spot.  Maybe hunt another area for a while and let it settle down?

5 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

It's residential with a 3 acre lot that backs up to a river bottom.  The furthest point from the driveway is 100 yards as a crow flies to the stand.  They've never been in there this early.  That is what has me wondering if they are just on an earlier cycle for now and it will switch back as the moon phase changes.  IDK, but hoping.  

Can you paddle in from the river?  That could be the ticket. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Can you paddle in from the river?  That could be the ticket. 

I wish, it gets into very shallow creeks and piss streams, some just a foot wide and a few inches deep.  Feeds tidal marshes to Northeast of the stand a 1/4 mile away.  The bottom itself where my stand is is think with scrub oaks and briars.  Lots of swamp maples and some clump birch.  Its a nasty area.

4 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

I'd like to, but the spot is the spot and I can't really change the stand spot.  Maybe hunt another area for a while and let it settle down?

If I had the time to hunt a few days a week and it was a small spot, I'd try to have a couple of spots and put it in a rotation. Only hunt them on the correct wind, and don't over hunt them. If any of the spots allow you to pick multiple trees, mix them up and keep the deer guessing. I don't keep track, but I would guess that about 80% of the Bucks that I've killed were from a tree that I set up in on my first sit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eagle rider said:

I wish, it gets into very shallow creeks and piss streams, some just a foot wide and a few inches deep.  Feeds tidal marshes to Northeast of the stand a 1/4 mile away.  The bottom itself where my stand is is think with scrub oaks and briars.  Lots of swamp maples and some clump birch.  Its a nasty area.

Are you sure that's not bedding? It sure sounds like it. I would think that maybe they were getting back in there earlier than usual. Either way, if activity has dropped off, I'm sure that they are feeling the pressure. 

I have seen this happen too many times to count. Let's first off look at one fact, deer learning YOUR pattern happens, cause their life depends on it. If they have a core area where they bed,feed, browse etc and they keep seeing "you" come in, they learn to move closer to the area they first spot you. They may have made that an early am bedding area or browse area as they know you will show up,then they get out of Dodge. The only advise I could give (if you want it) is change your entry--but--you say there's no other way in, so the only other thing you can do is go in once sun is up. Maybe give it an hour past legal.... You have been patterned. The only way to get em now is change your pattern.

This happened to me with a buck I hunted for 3, yes 3 painful years. I had his pattern down. I knew where he bedded for the am and for the pm. What I didn't take into account is he could see me enter my stand and HE played the wind for the day, bedding on the down wind side of my trail. Finally, after being stubborn and set in my entry ( nicely cut trail ) I took the road and walked about a half mile up to the neighbors and basically came in the back door to my stand. My normal trail walk was prob 200yrds. I killed that buck the second sit after changing my pattern. He was 6.5.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I have seen this happen too many times to count. Let's first off look at one fact, deer learning YOUR pattern happens, cause their life depends on it. If they have a core area where they bed,feed, browse etc and they keep seeing "you" come in, they learn to move closer to the area they first spot you. They may have made that an early am bedding area or browse area as they know you will show up,then they get out of Dodge. The only advise I could give (if you want it) is change your entry--but--you say there's no other way in, so the only other thing you can do is go in once sun is up. Maybe give it an hour past legal.... You have been patterned. The only way to get em now is change your pattern.

This happened to me with a buck I hunted for 3, yes 3 painful years. I had his pattern down. I knew where he bedded for the am and for the pm. What I didn't take into account is he could see me enter my stand and HE played the wind for the day, bedding on the down wind side of my trail. Finally, after being stubborn and set in my entry ( nicely cut trail ) I took the road and walked about a half mile up to the neighbors and basically came in the back door to my stand. My normal trail walk was prob 200yrds. I killed that buck the second sit after changing my pattern. He was 6.5.

I think that is my only chance.  They also don't spook unit the flashlight hits them,.... maybe go in without any light.  The walk through the opened won't be an issue, but going through the woods I can use a red light instead of white?  Thoughts?  Also as the moon changes their movement times should as well.....  Right?

I'd still say go in an hour past your normal time. Besides, with the cold coming in they will be moving and browsing most of the day. It's not like your losing out on the "best" times. I promise you, going outside the norm will increase your odds. Seriously,the deer know that their life may depend on it.

• Like 1

Scenario.... Let's say I'm right, and they have you patterned. One morning comes and you don't show up at dark.... no white light, no red light, no car door slam. They stay calm...they decide, hey we can browse around now since no predator came this am ! Let's cruise around !!! Then, you are able to slip in, daylight, you can see deer if they are there and potentially get a shot,OR you can slip in your stand and the deer are gonna do the "non threated" thing of slow browse around your property....

At this point they have one job to stay alive, watch your entry point before first light....

I don't claim to be an expert on deer, but I do try my best to keep an open mind and learn from every hunt. This scenario has happened to me multiple times and I DID NOT score till I changed my pattern.

Again, anybody can tell you that big bucks go nocturnal once season starts.... Do you know why !?! Hunters. They catch scents, they get bumped, trucks parked in the field etc. These deer go into the phase once the pressure is put on. The smarter the deer, the sooner they change their summer patterns. That's how they live to be giants. Next time you enter the woods, think about how you would go about your hunt as if your life depended on it....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...