Let's play CSI

Robhuntandfish

Right before dark hear brush cracking. A doe pops her head out down the trail. Then steps out a little.  It is a big girl for sure. About 60yards down the trail and a little brush in the way but not too bad.  I pull up 12g and aim middle of deer and squeeze. Deer jumps a bit then leaps into the brush and 3 hops it's gone and I hear some more brush breaking.  I wait about 10 minutes and walk over to where I shot and see this (pic).  Some long all white hair. One other spot of it with a little less.  Look where she went into brush and nothing no blood and it is getting dark.  The brush at this place is so thick you can't see in 15 yards and I have been thru there before in places you have to crawl thru it.  What's the call on what to do from here........

IMG_20171209_165114674.jpg

Looks to be a low hit, I've seen real low hits kill deer but it's not too quick. You're gonna have to dive in the brush and see what you find, you could've zipped her belly open. I hit one low and back once with a slug, we jumped her the next morning, she had several feet of entrails hanging out the hole but little to no blood on the powdery snow. We killed her but she probably could've layed there alive for awhile, it sucks but it happens.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Looks to be a low hit, I've seen real low hits kill deer but it's not too quick. You're gonna have to dive in the brush and see what you find, you could've zipped her belly open. I hit one low and back once with a slug, we jumped her the next morning, she had several feet of entrails hanging out the hole but little to no blood on the powdery snow. We killed her but she probably could've layed there alive for awhile, it sucks but it happens.

That's exactly what I thought.  I do know the answer now.  But was wondering what everyone else thought.....wait the night out and back out, or go in after it....what would u do??

So what's the report ? I agree with previous. If you open up the belly you will not get much blood. Also, the long straight hairs means you prob hit her center of the body, but low. The further back you go on the body / gut the hair is much shorter. If you graze center mass,low it's prob not gonna drop guts out (depending on the hit). It's the final hours here, so if you have a buddy set him up on an exit route and get into the thick stuff you saw her go into. She may be dead, she may be bedded, she may get up and give you a shot. Either way, a track session is never a bad way to end the gun season. Worth a shot !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well here was my answer this morning.  This sucks...

I had just some long all white hair, no blood and it was dark.  There is no woods here it is just old swampland that has grown in. So I thought back out to be safe. The long white hair made me think a bad shot. 

Got there this morn and walked in found blood in daylight like 40 yards from there.  Then a heavy blood trail and thought for sure I was walking up on a dead deer .  Then found this mess. So disappointed for sure.  

I should've went in last night  but all the clues said not to.  The deer wasn't about 90 yards away.  And I did have to crawl in 2 spots to go along the blood trail.  To find this. The head was even no where to be found... I should've went after it last night for sure but all I know or been told was telling me to back out.  If I had waited an hour I prob would've found it. Big blood trail once you got in there.

So frustrating....

IMG_20171210_082329974.jpg

Well, you can't be certain she died from your shot, in fact I doubt she did. But, if you open up the guts them stinking dogs can smell that from miles away.... Either way, I think you 100% did the right thing. Your only other option in a heavy yote area is to call in a recovery dog so you can get right on her and hopefully put another one in her. Most dog guys will come out for gut shots as I hear it's a nice job for the dogs.

Point is, I think you did the right thing.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Well, you can't be certain she died from your shot, in fact I doubt she did. But, if you open up the guts them stinking dogs can smell that from miles away.... Either way, I think you 100% did the right thing. Your only other option in a heavy yote area is to call in a recovery dog so you can get right on her and hopefully put another one in her. Most dog guys will come out for gut shots as I hear it's a nice job for the dogs.

Point is, I think you did the right thing.

It was right before dark though last Eve. So wouldn't have been able to get another shot at.  Esp in that stuff it is so thick it is hard to even explain. Sure wish I had wemt after it but like you said I don't know if she was done or not.  

You did the right thing waiting, look at it this way, she didn't go to waste that's for sure... You're sure that was the deer you shot? I know yotes can eat a deer pretty quick but that seems too fast to me, unless you've got a PILE of them. Throw a camera on the carcass, better yet put it out in your shooting Lane and dust one of those dogs.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You did the right thing waiting, look at it this way, she didn't go to waste that's for sure... You're sure that was the deer you shot? I know yotes can eat a deer pretty quick but that seems too fast to me, unless you've got a PILE of them. Throw a camera on the carcass, better yet put it out in your shooting Lane and dust one of those dogs.

It was def the same deer.  Blood trail went right too it and it was all fresh etc.  Sure is hard to believe that they just decimated it like this.  I was even looking for bear tracks but just yote tracks there.  

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

The shot still confuses me a bit.  Long white hair.....yet the blood trail is on trees perfect height up. And there is spray like it was from lungs.  White hair from where the slug came out maybe?  Dunno. According to blood trail shot was spot on.  

Def a tough ending to a good season

Shit happens...go sit over the remains and shoot those bastards they will come back to it

• Like 1

Apparently, you have a good population of coyotes on this property. For some great, and challenging hunting, after deer season. Pick up an E-caller and some mouth calls and get after them yotes! Be warned, it can be addicting! Also frustrating, as they are no pushovers either!

• Like 1