Let's play CSI

Robhuntandfish

if the deer was shot at 4:30/5:00 and he didn't go back in till after daylight this morning your at about 14 hours minimum thats a long time for a pack of hungry dogs to work over a carcass. I would venture to guess that your looking at the works of 4-6 yotes and seems that they carried off some of the parts.  Also being in a swampy area you have coons, fox, possums, and you mentioned a fisher.   with that many critters feeding on a found prize for upwards of 14 + hrs its not a surprise there is nothing left. 

Speaking of CSI, I finally got to try out the "bloodglow" that I bought 4 years ago on opening day evening of SZ gun season this year.   This stuff makes blood glow bright green in the moon or star light.   I heard a shot about 5 minutes after sunrise that morning, and soon received a text from my buddy, who was up in my best stand, saying he had knocked down a small buck.  I wish he would have continued to usedhis fingers on his trigger instead of his cell phone.   The buck crawled across an open field, then got back on it's feet and got away.  We used about an hour of "prime time" searching to no avail.   There was blood where it crawled but very little after it got back up.  I am thinking his 12 gauge sabot slug passed thru above the spine, temporarily numbing the rear legs.   

I marked the last blood and went back after dark with the bloodglow.  The four applications each consisted of a white pellet and a gray pellet that are mixed together with water.   Those "four applications" did not last very long, maybe allowing me to advance the trail another 50 yards or so.  The white pellets seemed broken up after 4 years in the package, leading me to believe that this stuff may have a shelf life.   It did make the blood glow very bright, especially where the buck was dragging his body with his front legs. The blood got very sparse after he stood back up though.  By the time I ran out of the mix, the blood spots were few and far between.  I will probably order some more of this stuff, for next season.   It seems to work as advertised, especially in rainy conditions, like we had on opening day, but does not go as far as I thought it would. I will probably get more than just one pack next time.  I can only hope that little 4 or 6 pointer may have made it. I have not scene any concentrated "crow action" in the area over the last 4 weeks, so he might have.    

Having this stuff available, especially during archery season, makes me a lot more comfortable hunting right up to dark in coyote country or in rainy conditions.  I suspect you would have recovered that doe if you had some.     

53 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Couple questions......What angle was deer, what distance, treestand height, type of gun/slug..... We will really CSI this deer !!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It was about 60 yards. From the ground with a Remington slug gun in 12 g with hornady sabots. Deer was broadside with a little bit of brush in the way. 

The white hair is what kept me from pushing on after it.  Wouldve thought low shot. But with all the blood I found in the morn and how high it was just don't know.  All I know is I wished I had waited an hour and went in again even of it was crawling in the dark through that mess. If I had looked 20 yards farther I would've seen it was bleeding hard and prob down.  Course it's all in hindsight.  Just sucks and have to move on and take the loss.  Just hate losing a deer and see this happen. Better days for muzzle I hope.  

A little late to party but doe i shot on  i blew out lungs and heart. Only thing that was recognized was half of lung, the rest was jello. Found alot of white hair then blood. Blood trail disappeared after 20 yards. 20171124_121009.thumb.jpg.d5d27ca23e0cc71ff0066e0f12736601.jpgShe went maybe 100 yards before falling. I used 270 with winchester 150 grain whitetails. Here is pic. Can see hair with blood.

The shot still confuses me a bit.  Long white hair.....yet the blood trail is on trees perfect height up. And there is spray like it was from lungs.  White hair from where the slug came out maybe?  Dunno. According to blood trail shot was spot on.  
Def a tough ending to a good season

Were you in a stand? Could be exit shot out went low. Also could be liver and she didn’t die right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a couple deer pretty much in the same shape overnight. My first bow buck on the house land the first year I moved in. I backed out not knowing the lay of the land good and the deer was hit and i lost the trail in a thick bowl. Went back the next morning and it was 40 yards farther down and all that was left was head, hide and bones. Nice 8 point. That was in 7 hours! The second wasn't much longer. 3 or 4 yotes can clean a deer quick.

7 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I wonder if what was left to the carcass that the OP found was that of the deer he was tracking . Hard to believe that a deer could be stripped of everything over night . Just an opinion .  

It sounds like it had to be, since he followed the blood trail right to the remains.  He definitely needs to find some good trappers or the fawn population will be taking a big hit next year.  

have thought about some more yote hunting and trapping in the winter.  My issue is with work in the winter, i operate a transp dept and its some loong hours and days with the weather.  But I def would like to thin the heard out there.  And getting trappers to come in isnt an easy thing at least around here.  There arent many trappers and there are a lot of people that want their yotes thinned.  But I will be out a few times.  In the winter to catch some days it isnt bone chilling and to want to get out after a 50-60 hour week of work and also have the option of rabbit hunting too.  But gonna be out at least a couple times for sure and gonna ask a buddy about trapping .  

48 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

have thought about some more yote hunting and trapping in the winter.  My issue is with work in the winter, i operate a transp dept and its some loong hours and days with the weather.  But I def would like to thin the heard out there.  And getting trappers to come in isnt an easy thing at least around here.  There arent many trappers and there are a lot of people that want their yotes thinned.  But I will be out a few times.  In the winter to catch some days it isnt bone chilling and to want to get out after a 50-60 hour week of work and also have the option of rabbit hunting too.  But gonna be out at least a couple times for sure and gonna ask a buddy about trapping .  

i can relate to this. I almost pulled a trigger on a foxpro last year. I have everything else I would need. But with a long deer season, then turkey in the spring I just don't see a lot of fun and reward in it. I still might try it someday, but I try not to push my luck with the wife ;)

45 minutes ago, Belo said:

i can relate to this. I almost pulled a trigger on a foxpro last year. I have everything else I would need. But with a long deer season, then turkey in the spring I just don't see a lot of fun and reward in it. I still might try it someday, but I try not to push my luck with the wife ;)

Check out the Primos Alpha Dog, great call, most of the same features as a FoxPro and quite a bit less money. I picked mine up on Amazon last year for under $200. I wouldnt bother buying a single speaker FoxPro, and cant bring myself to spend $400 on a Fusion. They do have the new HammerJack coming out, which looks like a good deal at $300 retail. Dual speakers, great remote and a built in decoy.